Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Crowdforging the Storehouse

Thorgrim Foegrinder
The Storehouse (https://pfostorehouse.com) is a fan-made tool focusing on helping to keep track of gathering and inventory data.

I'd like to develop it into something that can augment in-game features, to make the Pathfinder Online experience better. To that end, here are some ideas:
- make all gathering data public, accessible even outside the login wall
- finish up implementing the inventory management module, to help keep track of ingredients in banks
- change the account system to allow formation and membership of any number of groups (settlement, meta-game group, company, whatever)

How do you guys feel about the above? Are there any other things that might make the Storehouse better and more useful? Would these changes encourage you to use the Storehouse, if you don't already?
[Sylva] is the premier Nature based settlement in Pathfinder Online. We're a family that has come together through the game, and we're one of the most active settlements currently. We have a solid roleplaying foundation and are a home to those who both love and hate PvP.

[The Seventh Veil] is a meta-game group with members in several different settlements. We've created many guides and spreadsheets for the game that are referenced by hundreds of players on a daily basis and we maintain multiple websites like [Goblinary.com], [The Storehouse], and [The Unofficial PFO Atlas] to make information more readily available. The Seventh Veil promotes positive game play at all times.
AlexanderDamocles
I am not sure people would want to make public all gathering data. That information can be a valuable trade secret, and each group has their own preferred "gathering holes" where they go to get specific resources. If that were made public, their enemies could far more easily figure out how to cut off their access.
Thorgrim Foegrinder
AlexanderDamocles
I am not sure people would want to make public all gathering data. That information can be a valuable trade secret, and each group has their own preferred "gathering holes" where they go to get specific resources. If that were made public, their enemies could far more easily figure out how to cut off their access.
That's an excellent point. Originally, the tool was used exclusively by Phaeros, then opened up to the rest of the EBA, then when it was expanded to allowing everyone to use it sharing data was implemented with all data shared with Phaeros and Goblinworks by default. If it means that more will start using it, then removing the preferential treatment for Phaeros is definitely on the table, but I also want to make it more accessible and useful to new or unaffiliated players. Is there another way to go about doing that? Maybe share 30+ day old data, or everything but Tier 3, or something like that?
[Sylva] is the premier Nature based settlement in Pathfinder Online. We're a family that has come together through the game, and we're one of the most active settlements currently. We have a solid roleplaying foundation and are a home to those who both love and hate PvP.

[The Seventh Veil] is a meta-game group with members in several different settlements. We've created many guides and spreadsheets for the game that are referenced by hundreds of players on a daily basis and we maintain multiple websites like [Goblinary.com], [The Storehouse], and [The Unofficial PFO Atlas] to make information more readily available. The Seventh Veil promotes positive game play at all times.
xaosist
AlexanderDamocles

That data is only valuable if there is a game to play.

Making T1 and T2 resources available would certainly help the new player experience - both with finding stuff they want in the early stages of playing and letting them see actively developed and maintained tools by established members of the larger community.

The greater gaming community need to be able to see there is a community here willing to stand up and say we want to make this succeed and we're willing to do things to try and make this happen.
Midnight

Frankly my opinion is that such databases remove the challenge from the career of gathering.

I remember a guy who used to tell us Hard is Fun. This gatherer still agrees and wishes there was a way to prevent spoilers from occurring. But, in all honesty, when these spoilers finally do occur I'm unlikely to disadvantage myself by ignoring them. Hard isn't fun if it isn't equally hard for everyone.

If I were making a tool, I'd make it a downloaded program that people can run on their PC and that allowed export of the data.

That way, the individual player can be privately aided, as well as CHOOSING which individuals or groups they share the date with, as well as choosing which players they accept data from (since there are players who will submit disinformation to pollute a database).
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Thorgrim Foegrinder
Midnight
Frankly my opinion is that such databases remove the challenge from the career of gathering.

I remember a guy who used to tell us Hard is Fun. This gatherer still agrees and wishes there was a way to prevent spoilers from occurring. But, in all honesty, when these spoilers finally do occur I'm unlikely to disadvantage myself by ignoring them. Hard isn't fun if it isn't equally hard for everyone.

If I were making a tool, I'd make it a downloaded program that people can run on their PC and that allowed export of the data.

That way, the individual player can be privately aided, as well as CHOOSING which individuals or groups they share the date with, as well as choosing which players they accept data from (since there are players who will submit disinformation to pollute a database).
That can be done on the Storehouse. The account system would have to go in first, but being able to hold on to your own data and choose who to share with and who to accept shares from is definitely a possibility.

Decius
In the hard problem of figuring out what comes from where, how to sort thorough various reliability of information, and how to keep track oneself, the Storehouse is the tool used to aggregate that information.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Sharing of data with anyone but Goblinworks has been the single biggest (after the trouble of entering the data in the first place) sticking point to its adoption in some areas. Opening up wide any information on areas other than a person's own choice would not improve on that, and would make it even more irritating to some. I guess it (at least partially) depends on whether you think new players are giving up on the game because they have trouble locating materials, and whether they'd find the tool in time to make a difference.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Decius
I don't see a way to avoid the fear of the database administrators skimming the data. A fork for each clique would be of less value overall, especially since it would require multiple DBAs.
Drogon
T3 should not be included at all….
HpoD - "I have, however, sat and watched as others took things more personally (on both sides) and became zealots, charging forward on a shining white horse into a pile of shit. Forum Warriors at their peak, striding the battlefield knee deep in the bloody, broken arguments of their adversaries before the burning village of their credibility….Chill guys. "

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post