Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

A series of thoughts for the future

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
This game has proven that on a small budget and with a small staff to begin with, you can not make an MMO that is a game for both PVE and PVP, with an end goal of territorial control and settlement conflict.

Lisa has said that the one compromise she will not make is to tarnish the IP of Pathfinder. The end game goal must change, those that are closest to the IP have shown they have no stomach for it.

In my opinion the game needs to focus more on RP / PVE and have consensual hex and faction based PVP.

PVP Changes:

Hex Based PVP: Meteor Hexes are Open PVP enabled and the only place that drops Tier 3 materials. Want access to tier 3, than either risk it or pay for it.

Faction Based PVP: Join a faction, that grants benefits, but flags you for PVP against your enemy faction. Want to take a break from it, then turn it off, but it can't be turned on again based on a timer. It can't be turned off again, based on a timer.

Voluntary Flagging: Any time, anywhere and only against others PVP flagged.

No more company / settlement conflict unless they are faction based.

PVE Content:

Change mobs to reflect the factions and add more RP elements to them. Examples: If I want to raise my subterfuge, I should not be killing bandits, I should be killing merchants and guards. If I want to raise military, I should be killing bandits and mercenaries. Etc…

Escalations are faction based as well. We can raise faction standing by completing certain escalations.

Risk vs. Reward:

We will no longer need a Reputation System if the risk of PVP is completely consensual. The risk must come from the loss of gear, as being fully lootable.

These suggestions I believe would have greater appeal, to a larger audience for Pathfinder. Quite honestly, for this game to try to compete with other PVP focused games out there is just not going to work. But, it also does not have to be your typical theme park MMO either.

Let me express another belief, if the PVE crowd wants to have the same access to higher tier resources, without the risk of PVP or the extra cost at the markets, this won't work either. They can not have equal access with less risk and the same cost or less. This I think removes the two ends of the extreme, Hard Core Murderhobo and the Militant Care Bear.

Store Items:

The store needs some cheap, much sought after or lower prices on existing items to spark some new revenue. Preferrably things that don;t require additional coding to do.

1. Character Name Change

2. Second or third character training at lower cost than whole new subscription.

3. Small Holding / Base Camps - lower prices
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Baron Malthius
+1

Although, how would company/settlement conflict tie into the faction system?
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Baron Malthius
+1

Although, how would company/settlement conflict tie into the faction system?

Companies or settlements could declare (for some benefit) a Faction affiliation, which in a way would be like setting an alignment, but more meaningful than the two-letter designation (ie. CN, LG, etc..)

Factions are more meaningful than simple alignment because by declaring a faction you are also buying into its lore, its culture and its motives, means and aspirations.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Jokken
I think the changes you propose will transform this game into something resembling the games I left with disinterest to join this game. Keep the reputation system, keep husk looting pvp, keep settlement conflict, add factions to give an outlet for pvp outside of the reputation system. There are many games on the market that operate as you describe, why create another? What this game needs is polish.

Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Phyllain
What this game needs is more people.
Quijenoth
PVP Changes:

-1. Restricting PVP to certain areas is the wrong way to go - once you go down that road your effectively making 2 types of games for 2 types of people under one roof.

What PVP needs right now is more goals to fight over. Tier 3 resources is one but we need more and at all levels of play.

Right now we have holdings and outposts but its incomplete. When you can loot resources from them they will be more valuable. I also think, for now, that the capturing of holdings needs to be turned off. Yes Golgotha wants to burn Phaeros to the ground but it needs to be more complete and satisfying with siege engines and big explosions!

PVE Content:

+1 PVE needs to feel alot less grindy, it would be nice if they tied escalations into factions and alignment conditions. I would love to see intelligent escalations that you actually want next to your town. for example OV would probably love to have the silver crusade aligned escalation in their southern monster hex. They would then have a reason to PVP there to stop people destroying it. then letting it spread as a form of defense because they are KOS to evil factions. the same could be said for moloch cultists around golgotha, or duergar around forgeholm.

Risk vs. Reward:

I will repeat: consentual PVP will not bring the community together - it will just split them in two. No matter how much you try to make them come together they will simply find ways round it.

Store Items:

1. +1
YES please more items like cosmetic perks etc.

2. -1
3. -1
NO to devaluing anything currently in the game. But, if you want to alienate your already very small community then go ahead.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Phyllain
What this game needs is more people.

agreed Phy, but how do you get them unless something is changed?

Polish is lipstick on a pig… Polish won't bring in new subs.

I disagree about the affect on PVP my suggestions would have, I think PVP would increase and be more accessible to a variety of groups.

Lets look at the track record…

War of Towers PVP = fail
Reputation System = fail
Influence System = fail
Holding / Outpost = fail

The only PVP that was somewhat enjoyable (for me and others) was when the PVP window of w Tower Hex opened the entire hex to PVP (zone based).

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Quijenoth
NO to devaluing anything currently in the game. But, if you want to alienate your already very small community then go ahead.

If they close the doors your $5,000 Tavern has zero value; your $200 value Small Holding has zero value.

All things get cheaper over time, ever look at how much PC you could buy 6 months after you bought your current one? Your car loses 20% of its value the first mile driven.

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Jokken
I think the changes you propose will transform this game into something resembling the games I left with disinterest to join this game. Keep the reputation system, keep husk looting pvp, keep settlement conflict, add factions to give an outlet for pvp outside of the reputation system. There are many games on the market that operate as you describe, why create another? What this game needs is polish.

1. Don't need the reputation system if all PVP is based on various opt ins.

2. I never suggested removing husk looting, I suggested an increase by adding item looting.

3. Settlement Conflict is not really settlement conflict it is currently company conflict. The settlement conflict they proposed as end game will never be in this game, they don't have the means to produce it. Pipe Dream.

4. Faction conflict will add PVP, everywhere, against those who opted into joining a faction.

Please tell me which games work this way? What game did you leave that was like this?

Jakaal
Yep still agree with your proposed changes even after the move to it's own thread.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post