Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Minimum Viable Product

AtomX
Let's face it, those three words are what killed this game, with sub-par graphics that feel like Everquest 1, and a game system that expects a player to spend hours outside of the game to figure anything out. That's a good portion of what has caused this loss of player base, you give out free trials to a game that looks worse and is harder to understand than any free to play game on the market. Your company and financing team got way too greedy and now it's not only costing those that worked for you, but those of us that backed and purchased the game. Sorry to say who ever thought EE was something that you should be charging for, that's who you should be blaming the failure of this project on. You expect AAA game fees when producing what equates to a collage project quality game.

I wish everyone that worked on this project luck in their lives and future endeavors but who ever was in charge of game fees, perhaps you should try actually playing what you are selling first. Then you may get a good idea of what it's worth.

Feel free to post your opinions on the subject because that's exactly what this is, an opinion of mine. You don't have to like it, but current state, this game is not worth a subscription, the game mechanics are clunky and not flushed out enough to be engaging. And that is what I feel has doomed this game and it's community.
Nightdrifter
Kinda wondering if this recent article isn't taking a shot at Ryan's use of the mvp term: "The biggest knock on the project is the game never reached a point that could be considered a minimum viable product in the community’s eyes."
vyal
Accurate article is accurate. smile

I guess I missed out on using Ideascape. Sounds like a great tool, in theory.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Nightdrifter
Kinda wondering if this recent article isn't taking a shot at Ryan's use of the mvp term: "The biggest knock on the project is the game never reached a point that could be considered a minimum viable product in the community’s eyes."
I have been saying this from the very beginning. Ryan believed he owned the definition of what "Minimum Viable Product" was, he never did. Only the potential consumer decides what MVP means, and at an individual basis.

I have to believe that is Marketing 101, which begs the question, "Was he even good at that?"
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Nihimon
Nightdrifter

From the linked article:

Too early in development it became apparent that PvP was going to play a big factor in Pathfinder Online and the core Pathfinder player didn’t want anything to do with this project. Again, can you PvP in Pathfinder? Sure. Should it have had such a heavy focus in this game? Absolutely not.

The problem was the headlong rush to put in all the PvP opportunities while abandoning any pretense at consequences and constraints. Was Husk Looting really more important than a Friends List? Were Feuds really more important than Buy Orders on the Auction House? Was Holding Warfare really more important than the New Player Experience? All of those things are important, but not more important than the consequences and constraints that would keep them from ruining the fun of a significant number of players who were willing to try a PvP game, but not really interested in being fed to the wolves every time they logged in.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Zycor
I think GW ran out of time. The article is accurate, I think GW tried to target the wrong audience. If they made the game more PVP/conflict driven, and advertised like EVE did "Become a pirate, or a miner!" then they would have attracted more big named guilds. Also, if they had the time/money/investment to dev it internally then released EE. But instead they rushed it out the door to a non-receptive public.

As the game being dead, I doubt it. This game can run on life support for a while, look at EMU servers, it just depends if Lisa wants to put it out of it's misery.
Zycor
Look at DFUW and AV. They fired most of their staff too, they have 3-4 devs. Game is up and running/patching. It just takes them 3-4 months for a patch, lol. smile
Nactillius
Was this game MVP? In my opinion, no. If the settlements and settlement mechanics were supposed to be the features that set this game apart from the rest (I've heard that was stated by Ryan but do not have an actual quote) then that should have all been in place before EE.

But all this assumes the way things rolled out were strictly to plan and what we have found out is that was not the case. When a large portion of the funding you thought you had disappears then things change. I see the introduction of the subs as a desperate strategy to fill a monetary gap, or at least delay the shut down of development until new investment could be found.

If it had worked, who knows where things would have gone but sadly it did not and now the game will have some difficulty of getting past a legacy of bad press and bitter customers.

At least the doors are still open and there is still hope. Interesting times that I'm will to pay to see where things go. In some ways it's a front seat to a reality show of the inside operation of a junior development company. There is some entertainment value just in that!
You are a Troll
I am still having fun playing.
Zycor
MMO industry is rough, really expensive to actually make a good game. Tons of crowds to please. Tons of competition.

On a positive side, look at it this way the game in it's current state can be maintained, think of it as an EMU project, like WOW emu or SWGEMU. There are tons of servers out there with >1k players like PFO, that are maintained by a few people and through donations. They've been running for years. The thing is, they are ftp.

Honestly, Darkfall and DFUW were a prime examples of how a re-release can revitalize a game. Execept the DEVS at AV didn't follow through with DFUW, they were met with crazy dupe bugs, imbalanced pvp, and the loss of 80% of their subs.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post