Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Minimum Viable Product

Yrme
I'm not sure that the larger hard-core PvP audience would be happy with A or AA graphics, and the combat systems might not make the cut, either. If they can't afford to make that game, then they might need to make the game to appeal to the TT players, crafters, and socializers (hey, the friends list again) with a kludgy PvP system.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Duffy Swiftshadow
There is definitely a game-space that PFO could fit into, somewhere between the hardcore PvP sandboxes and themepark players looking for more sandbox persistence. But they need a lot of disparate but interlocking systems in place to make that game work and feel right, unfortunately they haven't had enough time (or funding) to get to that point. I think it's hiding in there and I think it's a game that needs to be made.
Nihimon
Duffy Swiftshadow
There is definitely a game-space that PFO could fit into, somewhere between the hardcore PvP sandboxes and themepark players looking for more sandbox persistence. But they need a lot of disparate but interlocking systems in place to make that game work and feel right, unfortunately they haven't had enough time (or funding) to get to that point. I think it's hiding in there and I think it's a game that needs to be made.

Yeah, I would very much like to see it made. And it would be really great if it was PFO.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
The Eternal Balance
+1
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
QMan
Duffy Swiftshadow

I agree with this completely.
Bringslite
QMan
Duffy Swiftshadow

I agree with this completely.

Great post Duffy. Can you check your paizo PMs for me?

Nice to see you posting Mr. Q!
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
Duffy Swiftshadow

This essentially has been the issue all along. Unique versus the "safe" money making option of sticking with the tried and true formulae.

The "disputes" in game at a meta level are very much "new unique game" versus "some variation of what we played before".

Some criticism and what what some see as necesary for a MVP have come from preconceptions formed in other games. Examples:
- graphics (for an example of how they are not essential look at Minecraft)
- too complicated (more an artifact of being new, the keyword system is not intuitive because no one has done it before, for example the Apple IOS is not intuitive to a windows user either)

Other criticisms are more valid:
- industry/trade/contract system is barely MVP though can be worked around as Stash has shown
- the constant extreme changes to combat resulting lately in characters needing 3 month rebuilds indicate combat is barely MVP
- because its new a lot more help was needed than normal for new players and what help there was came mainly from players but with no formal organisation
KarlBob
In terms of graphics, I think the character models are the one element that disappoints a lot of people. The armor, weapons, trees, rocks, buildings, shadows and monsters look much better than anything that was in Everquest at its launch. Unfortunately, all of those detailed elements surround stiff, lifeless character models. (Right now, goblins have several resting animations, but PCs don't have any.) If the characters had detailed faces and basic resting animations, I suspect some people would have an easier time accepting PFO's graphics.

Edit: I think that exaggeration for dramatic effect and the natural fuzziness of human visual memory also play a part in PFO graphics discussions. For a reality check, do a Google image search for original Everquest graphics. By any objective measure, PFO has them beat hands down.
Brighthaven Leader
PFO has better Graphics than EQ1, better than EQ2, and probably better than some 2005-2007 games. I would say its a mid to late 2000 graphics.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
KarlBob
Some examples of early Everquest graphics:
Ogres
A famous gnoll
Note the armor, the wall texture, and the lack of detail in the monster.

Please note that the screenshots above were taken well after release. At release, EQ looked like this:
Tiny viewing window

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post