Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

RIP Goblinary

Kitsune
The Goblinary is not going to be taken offline. While PFO exists, development will absolutely continue.

Edit: <deleted>
Midnight
Gluggo
Decided to check in to see how things were going, and was sad to see the latest announcement regarding the state of the game, then went over here to the the forums to see the general discussion only to find the same select people having the same discussion:
"Historically EVE never did"
I think one can safely say that this has been the most expensive endeavor to cater to a dozen or so EVE players that has ever existed.

It saddens me to think of the squandered potential just by fiat of the Pathfinder name. It was a great boost that could have propelled this vehicle along, I know the name got me and many others to try it, only to find it was some sort of bait and switch, ie, named Pathfinder but really striving to follow along as an EVE Frankenstein monster. The potential was there not only to use the Pathfinder name to market a video game, but if the video game lived up to be Pathfinder, it would have promoted sales of Pathfinder PnP.

It was nice to see the patch notes, a ton of stuff that I have been seeing folks ask for for a very long time, and I hope it has an impact. Like I said, the name alone gave this game great potential. That name was not just pulled out of thin air, folks like Lisa Stevens worked long, hard and diligently to create it. Hopefully under their management things will move into a Pathfinder direction, and maybe Pathfinder players will forget the stench of their first encounter with the game and reconsider at some point if changes continue in a positive direction. I don't see much hope though when there are only a half dozen posters and albeit 1/3 of them are still pushing and arguing by using EVE as their point. When people start using Pathfinder as the argumentative point, perhaps this game will show some promise.

Pathfinder can stand on it's own virtue and the virtue of it's creators and those who contributed to the idea of the Golorian world, it does not need to ride the coat-tails of EVE or any other video game. Paizo, having been conned into thinking that PFO could not stand on it's own, could not generate enough merit on the ideas of Pathfinder alone is the biggest travesty here. I don't have a crystal ball, but I would bet that most of the treasure is spent, most of the talent frustrated and at this point the hope is that some white knight will come to rescue.

Other game designers should heed well the lessons here, if nothing else can be salvaged from the wreckage, at least it can be a learning experience. At least for me, I know that if I ever consider getting involved in a new MMO and the words "sandbox", "crowdforged" or "Eve" are anywhere on the forums, I'll quickly move on.
Our family still loves and continues to play Pathfinder and we love Paizo to death, we just had no interest in EVE.
We wish everyone here, everyone at Paizo and especially Ms. Lisa Stevens the best of luck and warm regards,
Gluggo and Toots

It's easily two dozen Eve players. :-) But allow me to fix your sentence…

I think one can safely say that this has been the most expensive endeavor to cater to a former Eve employee that ever existed.

That being said, expensive doesn't necessarily mean it won't be profitable. Had all the financing come through as imagined (or should it still come through) the game could end up a financial success.

But as to the rest of your post…

Even vanilla Minecraft lets other players destroy your sand castles.

Sandboxes are always going to rely on players for content. While that *could* mean a world where people try to outshine each other peacefully (like building big pretty buildings in Minecraft), it almost always means PvP combat.

Even an Eve vet like me would give a Pathfinder theme park MMO a try if Paizo ever decides to throw $50 million at that idea. But like most theme park games I'd probably only have one account. Only sandboxes can bring out the one player 40 account madness that PFO has seen. That's why a low budget sandbox CAN succeed and even continue to grow years after most theme parks have started shedding players and accounts.

But sandboxes certainly aren't for everyone.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post