Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Multiple Crafting Queue options

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Crafting needs to be sled up, at least twice as fast. What is the rationale for such slow rates of producing an item?

A player who wants to be a dedicated crafter, logs in, sets a queue, logs out and does not return for 6 days. How is that good for the game?

Name me any other game with similar crafting times?
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Decius
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Crafting needs to be sled up, at least twice as fast. What is the rationale for such slow rates of producing an item?

A player who wants to be a dedicated crafter, logs in, sets a queue, logs out and does not return for 6 days. How is that good for the game?

Eve Online.
FuryFire
"Dedicated Crafter" is not intended to be an active play-style. You'll need at least a little something else to play the game actively, so I don't understand the argument that shorter queue-times=more active "class."

What is a much more important issue is supply/demand - shorten queue-times, and new players are that much less likely to find a role to fill within the crafting system. Even in EVE, you might be a "dedicated crafter," having focused on manufacturing skills, but you don't play that actively. You go mine or rat (killing npcs) or anything else to play the game actively.
Edam
It seems hard to see how you could make a dedicated crafter only character an interesting main character option for someone with one character. Sure you could add all those stupid mini-games that devs love to invent but after the 300th time they just p*ss people off bigtime.

Basically if you want to play an industry main you need to do more than JUST craft and need to also gather or also get involved in trade and spend time tracking down and setting up trade deals.
Quijenoth Starkiller
despite being one of the main draws to this game, the crafting system in its current form is lack luster, unimaginative, and boring. Given that is has just as much experience and time focus as other roles/classes it always crosses my mind that perhaps the current system is just a place holder.

I know that a more complex system in a game like PFO is going to need some form of blueprint to work from - crafting times supply and demand being the top 3. you dont want to spend alot of development time on something if it desroys the economy and becomes too repetative for players to enjoy long term.

I disagree with edam on the 300th time thing. if done right the crafting can be just as enjoyable as anything else in the game. Many games are built on crafting systems and have been hugely successful.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Caldeathe Baequiannia
fierywind
"Dedicated Crafter" is not intended to be an active play-style.
I was under the impression that the only intention in a sandbox should be to let players do what they want as long as they aren't griefing? Why is it intended that I not be able to spend all of my time weaving and hats, cloth backpacks and mage robes if that's what I want to do?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Decius
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon

Eve Online.

Not including the manufacturing queue, I am pretty sure it takes about a day to make a frigate. It has been years since I've done it.

But that doesn't change the fact that it should not take 5 days to make a suit of armor. We are not talking realism here, we're talking about a game.

Crafters should be calling for this change, how many times have they list business because they had to tell someone "it will be ready in four days." Then the buyer finds it an hour later in the auction house.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Decius
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Decius
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon

Eve Online.

Not including the manufacturing queue, I am pretty sure it takes about a day to make a frigate. It has been years since I've done it.

But that doesn't change the fact that it should not take 5 days to make a suit of armor. We are not talking realism here, we're talking about a game.

Crafters should be calling for this change, how many times have they list business because they had to tell someone "it will be ready in four days." Then the buyer finds it an hour later in the auction house.
11 days for a Thanatos, longer than t2 armor, and 35 days for an Erebus, roughly the same as a T3 armor.
FuryFire
Caldeathe Baequiannia
fierywind
"Dedicated Crafter" is not intended to be an active play-style.
I was under the impression that the only intention in a sandbox should be to let players do what they want as long as they aren't griefing? Why is it intended that I not be able to spend all of my time weaving and hats, cloth backpacks and mage robes if that's what I want to do?

There is nothing stopping you from spending all of your play-time weaving/tailoring if you so choose, but that is distinct from design intent. Should the game be balanced in such a way that I can spend all of my time doing quests? There is nothing stopping me from spending all of my time doing quests…until I have nothing left to do.

Being able to do what you want is not something unique to sandboxes (I can play WoW and spend all of my time hunting down and reading the in-game books….nothing stopping me, but that doesn't mean it's an intended time-sink), and sandboxes are, more specifically, really just defined by being open-world.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
fierywind
Being able to do what you want is not something unique to sandboxes (I can play WoW and spend all of my time hunting down and reading the in-game books….nothing stopping me, but that doesn't mean it's an intended time-sink), and sandboxes are, more specifically, really just defined by being open-world.
(bolding mine.) By definition, open-world implies that you can generally do whatever you want. Reality is going to impose all kinds of limits on that, but when there are roles specifically devoted to "freeholders" or professions, there shouldn't be any artificial design preference limiting those roles from being a viable way to spend all your time. If the developers don't want crafting to be a viable way to spend all of your time, they shouldn't require you to spend the same amount of XP as you do to level any of the other roles in the game. If it takes me the same (or more) half a million XP to become a T3 Tailor, that it does for someone to become a T3 Fighter or Cleric, then I should be able to expect that I can play a T3 Tailor.

fierywind
(I can play WoW and spend all of my time hunting down and reading the in-game books….nothing stopping me, but that doesn't mean it's an intended time-sink)
When the devs charge you the same amount of XP for reading the in game books as they do for any other character type, you can make that claim again. Until then, It's a specious argument.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post