Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Why only 1 husk for character?

tribuzio
Until recent times it was possible to have several husks for each character. Now we can have only one.
I got distracted (typing in forum smile) and blundered in a bunch of ogres while moving a ton of stuff. My character was killed and left a husk.
I underestimated the risk and tried to recover the stuff while still in pioneer armor. Was killed again and my older husk disappeared. It felt like to add insult to injury: I was already suffering 1 point of durability to all my gear and as an added "bonus" the loot from my earlier corpse was destroyed.

There is a technical reason for this change?

the damage I suffered is all my fault, but I don't see why the game should compound on that.
tribuzio
Beside the personal annoyance (and I think that at this stage of the game even minor annoyances should be avoided, if possible) this limit can be gamed to deny most of the loot to a player bandit or enemy.

If my character is a dedicated hauler with T1 gear and no combat capabilities and I get ambushed by a bandit it is easy, after I have been killed , to remove 1 piece of my gear (like a mitten or a sandal) and "attack" the nearest large mob. to loot my husk the bandit would have to wait until his combat status end, then start looting.
If my character get killed again the first husk disappear when the new husk is generated. Depending on how fast I am the looting guy would get one or at most 2 set of items, possibly even nothing.
It don't seem a good idea.
Maxen
@tribuzio,

You still leave multiple husks, but only one appears on the minimap. This happened to me the other day where I died outside of a settlement and was resurrected one hex away. While that alone can be annoying, it actually put me closer to my intended destination. So, with my husk location still appearing in my minimap, I decided to proceed with what I was doing, knowing that I'd be back before the husk expired.

Then, I died again. My original husk icon on the minimap was replaced by the new icon. I proceeded to gather my new husk and fortunately because I remembered approximately where I died the first time, I went back to that location and with a little searching, I came across my original husk with my items (minus the destroyed items) still intact. So, the question for GW is: Can you please fix the code to allow multiple husks to appear on the minimap?
Bob
Your previous husk should only disappear if it is either fully looted or if it is more than 30 minutes old. However, Maxen is correct, the mini-map only shows the most recent husk. I'll file a feature request to see if we can improve on that.
tribuzio
Bob
Your previous husk should only disappear if it is either fully looted or if it is more than 30 minutes old. However, Maxen is correct, the mini-map only shows the most recent husk. I'll file a feature request to see if we can improve on that.
I think the operational word is "should". The husk was very close to the ogre group and there was no trace of it when I reached the location.
It is possible that racing back, dying a second time and get a combat character there took more than 30 minutes, actually counting the distance I would say it is probable (9 hexes and moving through an hex take 2-3 minutes).
I thought that the expiry time was 1 hour. 30 minutes seem very short if you have to move a combat capable character to a location, even if it isn't really far away. Logging take his time, trekking even more time, then you need to kill the enemies.

It is possible to extend it to 60 minutes?
Bob
tribuzio
It is possible to extend it to 60 minutes?

It's certainly possible. A longer timer gives you more time to prepare yourself before going back to reclaim your stuff. A shorter timer provides a little time pressure to do so quickly, and somewhat simulates the ultimate goal of having everyone expect that an unprotected husk will get looted by other players fairly quickly. It also further cuts down the number of husks in the world at any one time.

Our original thinking was along the lines that 30 minutes gives everyone enough time to run from the shrine to the nearest town, then back to the husk, with 10 or more minutes to spare. It was also that 30 minutes felt like a long time to expect a husk to go unlooted. It would be interesting to hear whether others regularly find that timer too restrictive, or feel that even with a higher population husks would regularly go unlooted for longer times under various situations where we wouldn't want to apply a little time pressure.
Maxen
What about 30 minutes, then a slow decay of items (not in a durability sense, but maybe a % of items remaining) for 30 more minutes to simulate damage to items being exposed to the elements. Sure, in reality it would takes years to some materials to decay beyond use, but this would be a simple mechanic to give a little more time but factor in some risk for not making a beeline back to your husk.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Maxen
What about 30 minutes, then a slow decay of items (not in a durability sense, but maybe a % of items remaining) for 30 more minutes to simulate damage to items being exposed to the elements. Sure, in reality it would takes years to some materials to decay beyond use, but this would be a simple mechanic to give a little more time but factor in some risk for not making a beeline back to your husk.
That sounds like extra programming time, and while it might be tempting, and seem to make sense (at least to gatherers) with the current server pop, the existing mechanic will probably already be a bit of a nightmare if the game succeeds and a few hundred people die repeatedly in a contested hex during a conflict. Extending the durability of their husks is likely to turn every battlefield into an impenetrable mass of icons and make it impossible to see on the minimap anyone that isn't moving.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
tribuzio
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Maxen
That sounds like extra programming time, and while it might be tempting, and seem to make sense (at least to gatherers) with the current server pop, the existing mechanic will probably already be a bit of a nightmare if the game succeeds and a few hundred people die repeatedly in a contested hex during a conflict. Extending the durability of their husks is likely to turn every battlefield into an impenetrable mass of icons and make it impossible to see on the minimap anyone that isn't moving.

Not really.
1) as already clarified you see an icon only for the last husk;
2) "empty" characters don't leave an husk.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Maxen

Not really.
1) as already clarified you see an icon only for the last husk;
2) "empty" characters don't leave an husk.
You only see an icon on the main map for your last husk. Everyone sees an icon on the minimap for every husk that has anything in it. Since looters can only take one line/item at a time, they almost never take everything from a husk. If we can assume that very few of those players are going to take time to loot a husk if they see one, then you could be right. Since one day people will not be able to thread everything they want to take into combat, and husks will have a chance of containing T2 gear, I think there's a reasonable chance you are not.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post