Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pricing

Bringslite
It is pretty clear to me that the reputation system HAS worked to limit some people's actions. They have at least complained about the steep penalties. Horrendous dickery has been pretty limited by the community as a whole. That (IMO)is because almost ALL of the community we have right now has been through the "Forum Wars" pre game. We generally came to see that a non toxic PVP game could be more fun and longer lasting than the alternatives.

Quadruple the current population (still a VERY small player base) and that won't be the case. It will be a whole new community with lots of new hooligans like we have seen in the last few months. Now this ONE little detail is not a "deal breaker" nor does it invalidate your idea. It does need to be looked at and possible solutions explored.

Let's walk careful and not be penny smart only to realize that we have been pound foolish. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
If there is no box price, then buying XP advancement packs ought to cost enough to also equal the box price that earlier players paid. e.g. I preordered at $100 per account, which included 3 months play. That's $33.33 per month.

You could have a free trial option but say that only people who BUY the game for $55 get the privilege of also being eligible to buy catch-up xp.

I'm still not pleased to have paid a box price premium over new players, and will be even less pleased if they can catch up for less than I spent.

There is someone who bought 40 accounts. I don't think some new player ought to be able to catch up to that player by firing up 40 free accounts and then paying $15 per month of xp. And if you don't think the thousands (or millions) of players you hope to attract would willingly suffer the prices we suffered, then the equitable thing to do is refund the difference to every player who paid more. It's a small price to pay if you are correct about attracting the hordes.
And I just wanted to throw in that The Secret World has cool stuff you can buy (or that you get with some offer or deal) that caps the number of times you can buy it per account AND per character.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Takasi
These are not new concepts.

Lisa addressed these questions months ago after the layoff announcement. The only major change she was considering was allowing people to add more xp accruing characters to their accounts.

I advocated buying back dated xp. I also wouldn't mind if they charged for xp refunds. If you're going to allow someone to buy a brand new fully backdated xp character from the Goblinworks store then you might as well go full on crazy and break the no xp refund promise too.
Jokken
If I were to envision this game on a f2p model, I think it would look something like this:

Box Price: $5

What you get:
One character slot
Access to play one race, human
Access to all NPC settlement trainers to rank 3
1000 xp
A club
Add Ons:
1,000 xp: $0.45
15,000 xp: $5.25
30,000 xp: $8.00
72,000 xp; $15.00
A maximum of 2,400 xp may be applied to each character each calendar day.
Unlock a race of Choice: $5
Unlock Character Slot: $10 (xp must be applied separately)
Unlock ability to play character while not actively earning xp: $10
Unlock training at a building to rank 10 (applies to all settlements server wide): $2.50
Unlock training at a building to rank 20(applies to each local building only): $5
Name Change: $5
Haircut (appearance redesign): $5
Race Change: $10

With a system above you can play for very little and only buy what you need. If you buy all of the unlocks you pay much more than a $50 box price. Granting the ability to play a character while not earning xp would be key to a f2p model, I would think. As mentioned by others, a plethora of pay for cosmetic baubles would be well received. I also would not be apposed to pay for items that produce a very minor game advantage. Tokens that grant 4 hrs of +15 to a specific knowledge type, 10% bonus to influence gain, out of combat land speed, or reputation recovery would be good examples of this. The key here, is it has to be very minor. I am very much against any system that actively advocates paying to win.

That all said, I personally greatly dislike f2p. Call me a grognard, but I like a box price and subscription as long as I can see active development for my money. I hate being nickled and dimed. For a f2p model to appeal to me, offer me an option to just subscribe and get it all for less than buying it piecemeal.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Schedim
Jokken, I agree that it would be a good model (with some tweaks here and there) and I also agree that it wouldn't be my choice either.
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Bringslite
Not the way that I would play myself or all the same choices for a "store" that I would think are good items (either money makers or… popular MMO community mechanics). I am very opposed to PTW. At the same time, despite the huge outcries against "cash shop" driven games-usually very loud outcries, developers continue to design them AND THEY MAKE MONEY. Somebody buys this stuff.

One problem is that some people see ANY "store" and they parrot "Play to Win!" like a freaking automation. People just love (including myself) to see their opinions (accurate or not) in a place that others can see them too.

A great big problem is that ALL of that takes serious development and programing time, just as regular content/features do. Think outside the box. Can an MMO or company contract the design/development of cash shop "items" and pay for the work on a consignment basis? There is a world full of starving programmers out there.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Ravenlute
Jokken
I hate being nickled and dimed. For a f2p model to appeal to me, offer me an option to just subscribe and get it all for less than buying it piecemeal.

For your dislike of being nickled and dimed, your vision does just that. Only starting with one race, having to pay for others? Not only being expected to pay for xp but access to training on top of that? Serious overkill. Is this what you think Goblinworks would do or what you would do if you were in charge?

What I am asking for is essentially the same as the subscription model but with a little more flexibility. If you enjoy the way a sub works, then just buy an Advancement Pack every month. You'll get the same amount of xp for the same price. When it comes to this kind of thing, the simpler the better. By changing the sub to a shop item it just opens the door for more people to play the game, those who want to try it out and those who have established characters but can't pay for a sub for some reason. Instead of just vanishing, those characters can continue to be a part of the world.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Ravenlute
In the discussion of Pay to Win, they might be right in a sense when it comes to PFO. We are paying money for our xp. We're doing it already and this idea would continue that. Without xp you can't advance so in order to "win" you're going to need to pay some money. The same argument could be used for any subscription game though, if you don't pay, you don't play, so you can't advance there either. The real Pay to Win features are items that can only be gained by purchasing them in the cash shop and are better than in-game items. Like Base Camps. But Goblinworks has stated they are against such practices.

Several types of premium content can be purchased using microtransactions. This content includes "bling"—visual enhancements to the character or the character's property that have no mechanical effect; a wide variety of mounts that let you customize your ride and show your personal sense of style; and low level consumables that will give minor benefits.

Our commitment to the players is that there will never be an item in the cash shop that is mechanically better than the best craftable item that can be made by characters in-game. The cash shop items will always be implemented in such a way as to avoid harming the in-game economy.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Jokken
Ravenlute
For your dislike of being nickled and dimed, your vision does just that. Only starting with one race, having to pay for others? Not only being expected to pay for xp but access to training on top of that? Serious overkill. Is this what you think Goblinworks would do or what you would do if you were in charge?

As mentioned in my post, I hate this type of model. But F2P is never really F2P unless it is also pay to win. So you can have a pricing model that breaks all the service items in the game to individually priced items and people buy the game piecemeal as they want to use it, you have a game that is truly f2p through grinding but sane folks have to buy services that increase the speed of xp accrual, item find etc, or you have an all in subscription model. I challenge you to find me a model that does not fit into one of those three categories.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Takasi
One thing to consider is that the value of xp is not flat.

It takes a great deal of xp for someone to get to Tier 3 in one specialty, and an unfathomable amount to max out Tier 3.

Tier 3 is not proportionally much better than Tier 2, considering the vast xp costs.

Tier 2 is perfectly playable, and arguably easier to accumulate and craft mats for.

Ravenlute with the pricing model you suggested, where is the incentive for anyone to go past Tier 2? The game clearly was not designed for this in mind.

At least with the current model even if someone stays in Tier 2 they have to pay $15 a month to keep their account active, not just accumulate xp.

XP really isn't the end all of gating either. You need mats and gear to be really effective, especially in PvP scenarios. There needs to be some cost associated with playing the game outside of xp accrual, or else you'll end up with a population that no longer pays Goblinworks anything.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post