Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Retention

You are a Troll
Something needs to happen, and soon…I have been around since January 1 and no longer have any fun playing the game. EE11 better come soon and new investors better come right on it heels or this game needs a fork put into it.
Maxen
I agree with Trolls' sentiments. I haven't been online much in he past three weeks, but that is mainly due to moving into and renovating a new house. (In hindsight, it's better to renovate THEN move.) smile

That said, I log into the forums each day to check on discussions and updates to the EE11 release. Obviously we want to see EE11 in a good, stable state before release, but the lack of communication from GW is frustrating. I'd be happy with a regular 'hey players we're still working hard to identify a new investor and here's an update on some of the polish items we're working on.' But seeing the same message posted by Bob on September 17 every time I visit the site is disheartening.

I continue and will continue to keep my multiple account subscribed because I want to do all I can do help this game succeed (and right now with the demands on my time, financial support is all I can do.) But if the lack of communication is directly correlated to Lisa and the dev team giving up hope, I want to know that too. I don't think that's the case, but throw us some bones from time to time. smile
Duffy Swiftshadow
We've talked to them every other week or so in the dev chats. Things are still moving ahead and if nothing goes super wrong EE11 will probably hit somewhere around the end of the month.

Lisa is operating CEO of two companies and sounds like she's doing most of the overhead work and investor discussions for GW + her normal Paizo duties. While the three devs that are left are finishing up and testing EE11 (it was on their internal test server last week or so I believe).
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Midnight
Ravenlute
Edit: directed at Cal and Midnight.
Midnight, the point is what? (Sorry this sounds a little rude, not sure how else to say it.) Yes, money was spent.

I was just reminding Cal that there are people who aren't deciding each month. Their decision was earlier and they are already stuck with that *financial* decision.

Believe me, I'm not telling people to also spend their *time* on a game because they paid for it; last month I logged into and spent more time on Ark, The Secret World, Elder Scrolls Online, WoW, and Minecraft Realms than I spent on PFO.
I'm not clear who I'm agreeing or disagreeing with, if anyone. To start with, I don't think it's very often that someone does thing for one and only one reason. No decision gets made in a vacuum. As it happens, I have a mix of the states under discussion. I have one account with almost a year left, that renewed for a year two weeks before the layoffs. Also have others with something between three and nine months that are a loss unless I play them or sell them. I also have a couple of other accounts, that I am subscribing monthly, which I might not be doing if I didn't have the time on the other accounts. I'm doing it partly because there are things I enjoy doing, partly because I enjoy interacting with my alliance, and partly to support it because some of those people enjoy it a lot.

I suppose technically there's a degree of accuracy to talk about "if you are ONLY playing because of the money already spent" But I think a person would have to be a pretty serious outlyer to play for that reason, and that reason only.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Giorgio
Ravenlute
This isn't about those of us that have stayed on, we've found our reasons. It's about why players keep leaving. Understanding why this is happening and talking about it may help come up with ways to fix it.

You fail to mention (in your lengthy analysis of everything that is wrong in PFO) that this game is on life support with no guarantee that it will be around the next month; especially with no announcing of any investors since the great layoff of a few months ago. Why spend money and time on a game that might disappear tomorrow?

Everything else (lack content, lack of players, reasons for playing or not) pales in comparison to the HUGE uncertainty hanging over this game like a dark cloud of death, doom and despair…
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Ravenlute
Giorgio
Ravenlute
This isn't about those of us that have stayed on, we've found our reasons. It's about why players keep leaving. Understanding why this is happening and talking about it may help come up with ways to fix it.

You fail to mention (in your lengthy analysis of everything that is wrong in PFO) that this game is on life support with no guarantee that it will be around the next month; especially with no announcing of any investors since the great layoff of a few months ago. Why spend money and time on a game that might disappear tomorrow?

Everything else (lack content, lack of players, reasons for playing or not) pales in comparison to the HUGE uncertainty hanging over this game like a dark cloud of death, doom and despair…

Until the doors close, why pretend it's already happened? I prefer to push ahead until it's no longer an option. Instead of doomsaying about uncertainty, shrug and carry on.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Midnight
My mates scattered to the winds when the layoffs were announced.

Apparently, almost no one in EoX (but me) actually liked the PvP, but were playing through it for that eventual carrot of the perfect swords and sorcery sandbox. When that carrot started looking like a mirage they tried Ark (because we heard so much about it) and then people started pointing at old themepark games that are full-featured. Now that we've seen full-featured games again PFO just seems so… meh.

The only thing PFO still has in its favor is being an open world MMO sandbox for swords and sorcery (but not nearly as much of a sandbox as non-MMO Ark). But it needs to once again become a place with promise and a future to lure my mates and I back. I have very entertaining weekends in Elder Scrolls Online and The Secret World and don't pay a subscription for either game.

PFO is currently inferior to both those non-subscription games, so my PFO subscriptions aren't likely to last too much longer, without the kind of news that would attract my mates back, again. I know it might not be fair to compare PFO to released theme parks, but it also doesn't compare favorably when placed next to a non-subscription game still in development like Ark, either.

Subscriptions are largely on their way out in gaming, and paying one for a game on life support is probably the stupidest thing I do with my money. Even buying beer is smarter, because… B vitamins. smile
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Schedim
Midnight, you really put the finger on the sore point. Why spend my prcious time building (no matter how fun it is) if it is going away next month…

I spent my last free month and had so much fun I decided to start subbing, but the omnious silence has to end soon … E11 will possibly invigorate the community to some degree, but will probably also demand much higher time investments (when the stockpliles run out at least) and put in that time and effort must seem to have a future…
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Midnight
While EE11 is a needed step, I don't see how it will bring people back. You only need to build if you want to train, and you only need to train if you actually PLAY. EE12 could bring people back but at GW's development pace Crowfall and Black Desert are likely to *release* before then.

I'm not saying EoX won't build their settlements, but I haven't heard a single EoX member saying they were going to show up just for EE11. Playing during EE11 would still be just as wise/foolish of a time investment as playing TODAY with no investors.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
So much talk about Time investment and the wasting of it. Hopefully it is all recreational time and people do it for FUN. If there isn't any FUN in it for you, yeah you should be doing something else that you enjoy with your recreational hours.

That's kind of a no brainer. That is a separate issue to subbing and waiting/hoping until a product that WAS fun, becomes fun again. Lots of people with pre paid time can do that too. That is basically a disposable income issue balanced with a faith? trust? that everything will come together and a desire to have that exp ready when it does happen.

I am still having FUN, though I recognize that not EVERYONE is. It is a fun and an interesting exercise to Build and to work toward goals with PEOPLE that are FUN and share the same goals. This is true whether it is an investment of my free time that will pay off or it is an exercise that will come to nothing.

The particular "itch" that this game scratches can't be scratched anywhere else. I really think that EE11 WILL bring people back for a bit. No idea if it will keep them here.

It might be time for GW to start thinking outside of the box. What CAN be done to bring some Soul to this game? Some Soul that is such a nebulous quality to these games. Pathfinder Online needs more Soul, Atmosphere, Good Story, and some kind of Progress that can be seen.

There are hundreds (I think) of enthusiastic players here. All are imaginative. Many are TT players of various types. There are "outside of the box" potential resources here. Just because Soul, Atmosphere, and Good Story are usually driven by Mechanics and Players does not mean that they can't be driven by players without mechanics.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post