Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

There is a way to get social points beside killing PCs?

Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
But a bit absurd to have to do it that way.
Yep. I think one of the earlier and more blatant concessions to the fact that we weren't killing each other nearly as much as they expected.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
tribuzio
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
But a bit absurd to have to do it that way.
Yep. I think one of the earlier and more blatant concessions to the fact that we weren't killing each other nearly as much as they expected.

Well, 3125 player kills to get 50 social points is even more absurd.
At most we should get unsocial points for that.
smile
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
smile
I think the community confounded Ryan. He really wanted us to see killing each other (and being killed) as just one more step in the adventure, but the campaign attracted a group of players who see dying as a failure. I think there are lots of games where a few thousand player kills would be unremarkable, and people would not be bothered by having died hundreds, or thousands of times themselves.
Kitsune
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
smile
I think the community confounded Ryan. He really wanted us to see killing each other (and being killed) as just one more step in the adventure, but the campaign attracted a group of players who see dying as a failure. I think there are lots of games where a few thousand player kills would be unremarkable, and people would not be bothered by having died hundreds, or thousands of times themselves.

On the flipside, dying thousands of times in some games would be … depressingly horrible. Having a hard time thinking of good examples, though.
The Eternal Balance
^ agreed!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Yrme
Someone has to win and someone has to lose, that's the reality of a heavy-PvP game. Every character with 3000 kills represents some other set of characters losing 3000 durability between them (less naked-alt kills), divided by the killer's party size. So some range of 25-150 sets of gear for each character that gets to 3000 kills?

I really think the game has to be adjusted so that gear loss is not the only material sink. We have lots of faucets. We need sinks that allow the economy to run, even during long lulls in player deaths (whether local or global). Even if some group can stay out of war, outposts, holdings, and faction membership, and other aspects of daily life should have costs that eat some fraction of the total gathered goods.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Midnight
I have hundreds of kills in the short time I've been PvP-ing in ESO, without it causing tears in their forums.

I can't even guess the number of times I've died, either. LOL.

Of course, we can blame that on ESO being a theme park without enough Meaningful Choices (TM).
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Yrme
I really think the game has to be adjusted so that gear loss is not the only material sink.
It isn't the only sink, it's just supposed to be one of the primary sinks, which won't happen until people are dying more. Adding sinks now would be yet another example of adjusting to the incomplete and weak state. Resources have already been artificially depleted once, by dramatically reducing the number available within every hex.

At the moment (setting aside bulk resources), it is dwarfed by the resources that have gone into holding construction and are starting to go into settlement buildings, both of which will accelerate when we reach the stage of having to upgrade buildings and pay per-building maintenance, and both of which will accelerate further when there are people killing each other and destroying settlements.

Everything that that the players see happening in game is distorted by the game's current state. The current state can not be representative of the final state, or the game won't succeed. Repeatedly adjusting to the current state is a downward spiral of cattle-pie.
Nihimon
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Yrme
I really think the game has to be adjusted so that gear loss is not the only material sink.

It isn't the only sink, it's just supposed to be one of the primary sinks, which won't happen until people are dying more. Adding sinks now would be yet another example of adjusting to the incomplete and weak state.

It seems to me that there should have been pretty significant sinks in the form of Holdings, and that adding those now would be a step towards realizing the original vision. My understanding of that original vision is that all Settlements that wanted to support higher levels of Character Power would be required to have Holdings which had a direct impact on those Character Power levels, and which were subject to being destroyed by their enemies.

I find the actual development arc, where the "killers" were empowered to destroy the Holdings of the "builders", while not having any persistent, in-game structures at risk, and thus not putting their own Character Power at risk, to be… puzzling.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Hobson Fiffledown
Buck up little camper; Go out and stab some people. smile

3000 kills might seem like a lot, but, like Cal said, it's distorted by the current population. If we had enough players for resources and land to actually be scarce, and therefore something we had to fight over, those numbers would whittle away. Now, maybe not as quickly as button mashing through mobs, but it would go by with much less of a drag. As it is, I've been wander-hunting during holiday and weekend times and haven't seen a soul. (Thankfully those dark elves in the southern crater have been willing to put up a fight)

Also, Social points were rumored to have other sources as systems came online throughout development.

It still boils down to choices matter. If you want Social points, you have to go out and kill. If you want crafting points, you have to go out and craft. No one forces you to do either. I would like to be a T3 scavenger one day, but that choice requires me to be all wisdomy… Grr, choices.
This space for rent.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post