Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online Investment Update

Paddy Fitzpatrick
Woo hoo!

Alright, I'll tell my boys. Maybe I can get a few of em to come on over.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Schedim
I cross all fingers, braid my hair and even cross my legs in hope that it wents through … and soon!
(and without any unwanted™ Changes to the World itself)
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Midnight
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
That sounds promising, but I'm hoping when you say that it will allow the development team to expand, that does not mean bringing back just the same people that were here before. Might not be a good idea to bring back any of those let go.

Are you faulting their coding, or their design?

The old devs know the code and the game will progress faster with many of them back at their desks.

I think they could use some fresh blood as far as ideas, but I don't see the old devs as any more prone to bugs than those in any other game in development.

Did you play Blizzard's Diablo 3 at release? smile

I remember going to game rating sites and rating it a 1.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Schedim
In coding it is clearly an huge advantage with knowing the code, but I'm not impressed with the glacial speed of production of the old team. This may be so of several causes, several having nothing really to do with the work team in it self, it could be due to organisation (I must say that some US companies have made me scared of how they do things) or the structure of the game engine (I get the feeling that Unity 4 may nit be optimal when you need to get under the skin of it) or a combination of factors….

But some changes in the work speed would be welcome…
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
Midnight
Well, we saw a LOT of changes in the first 6 months.

Unfortunately (for me at least), some of those ideas were antithetical to what I would have desired, and even those that weren't had a questionable development in the order and priorities of those changes (such as releasing holdings MONTHS before they could be attacked, so that when they finally can be attacked, they have lost all significance because of the huge stockpiles of the goods they produced).

But if you liked everything they did, one wouldn't call it glacial (before the layoffs).

The incredibly small size of the game's population suggests that I'm not alone in not liking the RESULTS of their development. But the pace wasn't bad at all.

Basically, a properly staffed GW can quickly build a game that satisfies no one. smile

I'm 1/2 joking (in that previous sentence). Given the community they wound up with I wouldn't want my job to rest on satisfying these small disparate groups of people, either.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
vyal
Glad to finally see an update.

<IMHO>
I too am concerned about the previous pace of development (for pre-alpha, it was.. well, glacial is being kind, imo) and simply expanding the team again isn't going to solve the core issues of attraction, retention, design, overall longevity, and financial sustainability, (to say nothing of profit) of the game for years to come.

Put simply, finishing the game that was being made, I can't see how that's going to be good for anyone, given it was simply dying slowly for well over 6 months. Any 'MMO' with less than 1k daily players is not an MMO. It's a demo. It's great that the community is zealous, however zealotry alone is not going to pay the bills, as history has clearly demonstrated.

I look forward to seeing what changes are going to be put in place, in addition to funding, that will address these core issues.

Finally, a move to Unity 5 would be, at minimum, a necessary step forward, I think.
</IMHO>

Again, thanks Lisa for the update. smile
Schedim
A move to Unity 5 would probably make some difference, but the question is how much tinkering have been done to create the seamles world … If it is as much as I suspect .. A move could be…. problematic…
Ravenlute
C'mon guys, the development speed is directly linked to the number of developers working on the game. More devs, faster it's made. You know this. It's also only halfway finished, it's not in its released stage. The big difference is that they've given us access to it where other games would only be in the 'friends and family' stage. This is part of the reason we're here, to experience it as it's made and correspond with the devs as it happens.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Aglos
+1 Ravenlute!
Duffy Swiftshadow
Ravenlute
C'mon guys, the development speed is directly linked to the number of developers working on the game. More devs, faster it's made. You know this. It's also only halfway finished, it's not in its released stage. The big difference is that they've given us access to it where other games would only be in the 'friends and family' stage. This is part of the reason we're here, to experience it as it's made and correspond with the devs as it happens.

There is a cap tho, infinite coders will not make it infinitely faster! Mythical man months! Software Engineering principles! Rabble Rabble Rabble!

Seriously tho agreed on sentiment +1

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post