Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online Investment Update

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Midnight
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
That sounds promising, but I'm hoping when you say that it will allow the development team to expand, that does not mean bringing back just the same people that were here before. Might not be a good idea to bring back any of those let go.

Are you faulting their coding, or their design?

The old devs know the code and the game will progress faster with many of them back at their desks.

I think they could use some fresh blood as far as ideas, but I don't see the old devs as any more prone to bugs than those in any other game in development.

Did you play Blizzard's Diablo 3 at release? smile

I remember going to game rating sites and rating it a 1.

I'll be my usual blunt self, if Lisa looks to bring back Ryan Dancey, this game is in the same funnel of suck it launched with.

Have you played Albion Online? That game is more in line of what PFO should have been.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Midnight
I'll speculate that the reason it took so long is that until this week the investors were very busy preparing for a convention they were hosting last weekend, and now that it is behind them they can give PFO more attention.

smile
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Lisa Stevens
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
I'll be my usual blunt self, if Lisa looks to bring back Ryan Dancey, this game is in the same funnel of suck it launched with.

Ryan will not be coming back to the game. He has already moved on to another job. So you don't need to worry about that Bludd.

-Lisa
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Lisa Stevens
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon

Ryan will not be coming back to the game. He has already moved on to another job. So you don't need to worry about that Bludd.

-Lisa

Well at least that is another hopeful sign.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tyncale
I also hope that the game gets a new production manager or whatever you call the guy/gal that makes sure that game-development is streamlined, productive, efficient and a lot faster then it was now. More devs *should* mean faster development, but not if your production pipeline suffers from bad decisions.

For instance, I think all the kneejerk changes to Combat, Expendables, Nodes, Escalations are partly due to the lack of logging tools that give the devs data about how the game is played. I often felt it brought the game *back* in development, at least as far as the fun-factor went. In the meantime, polish, graphics and adding more basic "quality of life" features(friends list and such) suffered because the devs tried too hard to "balance" the game in such an early state and tried to crank out all the planned world-building features, while population was still extremely low, and people clamored for better graphics, more intuitive mechanics, a better newbie-experience, more polish, better UI, more basic fun and water in the rivers. Often implmenting a new feature came at the cost of a feature that was already in the game: Hex-chat being axed for Global, Bank-ui Tabs being axed when the Company Vault was implemented. That's just odd: never saw this with other indy development projects like Shadowbane, Project Gorgon, or Wish to name a few.

A more experienced Producer might have taken some other decisions as to how the game would be developed. I also think that stuff like the incomprehensable "Keyword" mechanics (that all worked a little different for different areas) made this game "Hard to get into, hard to master". The latter is good, the first not. I think that should have been streamlined (or axed) at an early stage by the Producer. There are other choices that have not helped development of the game: I refer to Bludd who has put his finger on quit a few of them.

TL;DR: game needs a new "Wind" to blow, serious changes need to be made to the development proces and possibly other things like monetization. And maybe engine. And Keywords.

I dunno: basically, if you have 20 devs and 4 million dollars, and the entire population clamoring for something basic as a "Friends list", how fast do you think an experienced development team with a seasoned producer would have implemented that? We had to wait 6 months for Company chat…. now if they were the 3 people that they are now, then I would have understood. But they were 20 devs and they blew through 4 million.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Schedim
You put words on my thoughts Tyncale!

Not everything is bad right now (apparently) but it arrived here in such a twisty-loopy way that a new production/development/whatever Czar can only seen as a blessing.

And the keywordsystem has so much (unused) potential… But as you say, as it is now it is difficult to wrap your head around with only a little to differ from simpler solutions.

And the logging tools… As I have worked with simulation models and monitoring and control implementatios for nearly two decades I have been … less than impressed by how the flows of resouces and production is … checked upon.
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Rynnik
Lisa Stevens
Hello Pathfinder Online Players!

It has been a few months and I wanted to bring you up to date on where we stand in regards to getting investment in so development can continue on Pathfinder Online.

Last week, a new company has entered the arena and I am super excited about the possibilities. It is still early in the process of talking with them, though I have been on the phone every day helping them get the data they need to make a decision. If they decide to move forward, Pathfinder Online will benefit from a significant infusion that will allow the development team to expand to the largest it has been.

Of course, nothing is signed, sealed and delivered yet, but early signs are promising and I wanted to let you know about this latest development as soon as I could.

Stay tuned to the Goblinworks forums for more news as I am able to release it. I will also be hosting the Keepside Chat this week on Thursday at 5pm instead of the usual Wednesday timeslot. Thank you for your patience and continued patronage of Pathfinder Online!

-Lisa Stevens
Acting CEO
Goblinworks Inc.

That is great news Lisa! I am really anxious for an announcement that things are locked-in and rolling forward officially and tangibly.

Thanks for all your dedication and what I am assuming must have been some extremely long hours to keep pursuing this dream.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Tyncale
I also hope that the game gets a new production manager or whatever you call the guy/gal that makes sure that game-development is streamlined, productive, efficient and a lot faster then it was now. More devs *should* mean faster development, but not if your production pipeline suffers from bad decisions.

For instance, I think all the kneejerk changes to Combat, Expendables, Nodes, Escalations are partly due to the lack of logging tools that give the devs data about how the game is played. I often felt it brought the game *back* in development, at least as far as the fun-factor went. In the meantime, polish, graphics and adding more basic "quality of life" features(friends list and such) suffered because the devs tried too hard to "balance" the game in such an early state and tried to crank out all the planned world-building features, while population was still extremely low, and people clamored for better graphics, more intuitive mechanics, a better newbie-experience, more polish, better UI, more basic fun and water in the rivers. Often implmenting a new feature came at the cost of a feature that was already in the game: Hex-chat being axed for Global, Bank-ui Tabs being axed when the Company Vault was implemented. That's just odd: never saw this with other indy development projects like Shadowbane, Project Gorgon, or Wish to name a few.

A more experienced Producer might have taken some other decisions as to how the game would be developed. I also think that stuff like the incomprehensable "Keyword" mechanics (that all worked a little different for different areas) made this game "Hard to get into, hard to master". The latter is good, the first not. I think that should have been streamlined (or axed) at an early stage by the Producer. There are other choices that have not helped development of the game: I refer to Bludd who has put his finger on quit a few of them.

TL;DR: game needs a new "Wind" to blow, serious changes need to be made to the development proces and possibly other things like monetization. And maybe engine. And Keywords.

I dunno: basically, if you have 20 devs and 4 million dollars, and the entire population clamoring for something basic as a "Friends list", how fast do you think an experienced development team with a seasoned producer would have implemented that? We had to wait 6 months for Company chat…. now if they were the 3 people that they are now, then I would have understood. But they were 20 devs and they blew through 4 million.

If they can dedicate a person or two to Friend's List alone? A month, tops. But that task could still end up involving 3-4 more developers. You need UI, Database, Backend, and design work to be done, that eats into time and delays other tasks. Not to mention Supporting that system going forward can eat into your time, and as a heavily used system it's support is higher priority. Start piling other features like that, say Logging, and you eat another month of a few people's time. So on and so on…

Think of it this way, if the original team focused on better UI, Chat, Friends Lists, Logging, Water, and all those other awesome to have 'perks' that did not directly create or affect content, there is a really good chance we would have had no content patch to this day. It would still be more or less just like EE1 gameplay. Is that trade off any more acceptable than the other way around?

The mythical idea that if someone just organized it better they would have gotten 2-3x more work done in the same time period is ridiculous.
Burghthing
Duffy Swiftshadow
Ravenlute
C'mon guys, the development speed is directly linked to the number of developers working on the game. More devs, faster it's made. You know this. It's also only halfway finished, it's not in its released stage. The big difference is that they've given us access to it where other games would only be in the 'friends and family' stage. This is part of the reason we're here, to experience it as it's made and correspond with the devs as it happens.

There is a cap tho, infinite coders will not make it infinitely faster! Mythical man months! Software Engineering principles! Rabble Rabble Rabble!

Seriously tho agreed on sentiment +1

I believe the quote you are looking for is "9 women cannot make a baby in one month" smile
Notmyrealname
I put 100 into the kickstarter , but never played when EE began , the game as it was just didn't interest me. The concept of what PFO was to be did and still does interest me . So for me the best thing would be if a new company came in and shut down the server ,wiped the characters, chopped up the game and saved what they want to work with and relaunch when the game is interesting enough to attract a player base that is big enough. PFO failed as it is, it needs to be remade, but like I said I never got personally invested in playing. We could talk all day about what we think went wrong , I say let a new company do PFO their way ,don't expect some game company to want to carry on with what PFO now is, if anyone wanted to finish what was started they would have already.

We were told at the kickstarter that the game was fully funded, it wasn't ,so it's clear no one wants to fund the game the way it's being made.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post