Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE 11.1 Discussion

Bringslite
Nactillius
Remember when they fixed attacks so it didn't buffer a bunch that you were required to play through before running away? Don't remember when but some update put it back that way and it is highly vexing!!

Hehe. That is almost always the reason I dirt nap in PVE.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
Vault performance, dunno if you can do much or if the sorting will help but larger company and settlement vaults are almost impossible to use.
Huran
Vault sorting / filtering is pretty high on my list as well. We just went through all our settlement recipes and did some house cleaning. The process was doable though painful. Being able to sort by recipe type would be very helpful (Weaponsmith vs smelter, etc).
"Circles of power, gathered by EARTH, welcomed by GOLD, in strife and in mirth. Focused by CRYSTAL, guided by LIGHT, showing the way, by day and by night. wrought in IRON, strengthened by STEEL, together we stand, in wrack and in weal. Hidden in SHADOW, explored by WOOD, we circle together, for the greater good." –Maxikyd– http://www.kotcguild.com/
ZomoZ
something something valuts
something something content
Bob
Sorry to take so long responding to all these suggestions. Finally getting back on track after my break for Thanksgiving. Here are some comments on the various ideas put forth for improvements, roughly ordered by the number of times each possibility was mentioned. FYI, when I say that something would likely take a certain amount of work, that doesn't necessarily mean we can't fit it in (or fit in some simplified version of it), just that we'd have to trade a larger number of small fixes to get the more involved improvements implemented.

• Vault Tabs/Sorting/Filtering/Performance: This is something we'd really like to improve on, and it's pretty clearly the most requested thing for us to work on. Doing so definitely isn't a trivial task, but we'll see what we can do.
  • Friends List: Definitely would be very useful, but also definitely a whole new feature. We could probably design something relatively simple that wouldn't take an unreasonable amount of work, but this would still be pretty involved.
  • Log Out: Unfortunately, while this isn't the cause of all our desync issues, not fully logging out does leave the client in a less stable state. Tracking those instabilities down would require a fair amount of work.
  • Stack Splitting: Splitting large stacks is definitely a pain right now, and it's possible we could do something with a modest amount of work.
  • Sales, Combat and Bank Logs: These would certainly be nice, but would require a fair amount of work.
  • Chat Customizations: There might be some small fixes we could do here that would be relatively easy, but larger changes would take a reasonable amount of work.
  • Less Slash Commands: We could probably do something about making partying, trading, whispering, and other such things easier to do (or even possible to do with the mouse) with a small amount of UI work. It wouldn't enable anything that can't already be done fairly easily, but it might make the functionality more obvious and be helpful for those who use those commands regularly.
  • Buffered Attacks: I'd have to look into this further. I thought we only buffered one attack at a time (so that you don't have to wait until your current attack is over before choosing the next one), and that you could hit escape to clear any buffered attacks. If there's a problem here, it's possible there's a relatively easy fix.
  • Transfer All: Not trivial, but adding the ability to transfer everything at once from some specific places to other specific places (e.g. inventory to current vault, inventory to trade window) would certainly be useful and could be done with a reasonable amount of work.
  • Settlement Vault Permissions: We actually have a fix ready for testing on this. Basically, vaults would start respecting the values settlement leaders set using the permissions UI. To avoid any issues with some settlements having their vaults suddenly take on weird/unintended permissions, we'd run a script during downtime the day this went live that would reset all settlement vault permissions to the default values (the ones currently being used). After that, settlement leaders would be free to set those permissions any way they see fit.
  • Prevent Clicking Through UI Menus: Currently, when clicking on items inside various menus, that click also gets picked up by interactive objects behind that item. We think there's an easy way to fix this, and it's high on our priority list (assuming the fix does turn out to be easy).
  • Spawning on Trees: This should be largely fixed in EE 11. If not, we'll need to make larger buffer areas around the vegetation, and process all of that would take a while. One thing that can still happen is that mobs might spawn properly on the ground, but then "climb" the tree when they start moving. After that, they might decide they're close enough to their origin point and just stay there.
  • Treat Bids as Active Auctions: We'd have to look at this more closely to figure out how much work it would be. Might be easy, might be hard.
  • Armor Colors: Not positive, but there might be some improvements we could make pretty easily to this system.
  • Deity Weapons: I'm not sure how much work this would be. Each weapon would have to be balanced properly, and would also need a balanced recipe for crafting it. There'd definitely be a learning curve for me to figure out those systems well enough to set these up. However, there's a chance it could be done purely in the spreadsheets, though that might require sticking to weapon capabilities that already exist, where some of the weapons might be intended to ultimately do something different.
  • Editable Inventory Notes: I can see being able to create these and sort based on them as potentially very useful, but adding this would likely be a fair amount of work.
  • Tab to Password: This probably wouldn't be terribly difficult. Interestingly, Return does move you between fields, though that's not as instinctive to press.
  • Graphic Issues with Male Dwarves: Some of these are pretty easy to fix, and some have already been fixed for EE 11.1.
  • Respawn on Same Level as Husk: This would be somewhat tricky, since the game doesn't currently have any real knowledge that certain hexes are on the same level as others. It might also sometimes actually result in greater travel times when a monster hex is available at the bottom of a pass, but the nearest monster hex on the same level is much further away. Doing something to solve this issue properly could be a fair amount of work, and would probably best be done as part of a larger fix to the whole death/respawn system that gave players more control of where they respawn.
  • PMs on Forums: I'm guess we'd have turned such a feature on if it was really easy to do so. Since we didn't, there'd probably be a fair amount of work involved here.
  • More Info on Character Choice Screen: I could definitely knowing your location before signing in would be useful, and other info could be handy as well (Company/Settlement membership/rank, highest role rank), and it's possible this could be done relatively easily, though it's still more on the order of a new feature.
  • Knowledge of Multiple Vaults: It would definitely be handy to know whether you've got items/cash available in other places. Implementing this would be pretty involved, unfortunately, but possible.

Stilachio Thrax
Grimmel
Clicking on GUI items does not select objects under the GUI item.

For the love of all holy and sacred, THIS!
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Bringslite
@ Bob,

Thanks for the feedback.

Are you kind of borked by the way that the base code has been designed? Can you not just dig up old functions/use functions from other areas like old version bank tabs, sorting from within company lookup, any other possibilities and port them over with some minimal work? Have you explored why we can use drag and drop to double items moved between vault and inventory? There may be clues there.

Can you open a file and change the way the name of an object is displayed fairly easy? Just listing objects (inventory or bank) in a more well thought out way could go many, many miles. Like the way that you did with Bulk resources after that request. Some stuff is already listed that way, yet too much isn't. It would reduce frustrations a great deal.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Another idea (or two) begs me to express, there is a slider on the trash bin for stacks of multiple items. Can't that be used for stack splitting? I don't mean by faux throwing things out. Too dangerous a method. I mean can that code be used?

Also, since this stuff sounds more involved than some had thought, how easy would it be to play around with the numbers in the feuding system? How about the hard code in it, can things like one "feud allows entire settlements to participate" be changed easily?

If we can't get the frustrations of day to day operations fixed easily, can we get the PVP going in an easy way? We need SOMETHING to work well. It isn't easy to keep new players hooked without.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Ravenlute
Bob
  • Friends List: Definitely would be very useful, but also definitely a whole new feature. We could probably design something relatively simple that wouldn't take an unreasonable amount of work, but this would still be pretty involved.

To make a friends list actually helpful in the game it would need to be more than just a list of names. It should indicate whether they are online at the time and if they aren't, how long it's been since they were. It would also be nice if it displayed what Company/Settlement they are currently a member of.

Bob
  • Buffered Attacks: I'd have to look into this further. I thought we only buffered one attack at a time (so that you don't have to wait until your current attack is over before choosing the next one), and that you could hit escape to clear any buffered attacks. If there's a problem here, it's possible there's a relatively easy fix.

The issue I've had with buffered attacks, primarily casting spells, is getting rooted during the casting and trying to move. I've got one hand pushing a direction on the keyboard and the other rapidly triggering the mouse. I don't have a third hand available to smack the Esc key while trying to run in combat. Ideally I would like to see the root break on movement and interrupt the attack, either by being the target of a movement attack like Hydralic Push or by double tapping a movement direction on my keyboard.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Bob
Ravenlute
The issue I've had with buffered attacks, primarily casting spells, is getting rooted during the casting and trying to move. I've got one hand pushing a direction on the keyboard and the other rapidly triggering the mouse. I don't have a third hand available to smack the Esc key while trying to run in combat. Ideally I would like to see the root break on movement and interrupt the attack, either by being the target of a movement attack like Hydralic Push or by double tapping a movement direction on my keyboard.

Ah, sounds more like we're talking about the ability to interrupt the current attack so you can get away. That could be more complicated, depending on exactly when the attack's damage takes place and what actions the server is committed to at that point. Making the combat system feel smoother and more responsive is certainly something we'd like to do, but it tends to be tricky work.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post