Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Black Desert PvP ideas

Ravenlute
I saw this short article and felt like sharing.

Black Desert News

I've always liked the idea of some form of confinement but the issue was what happened to the people afterwards. Here it looks like they will allow them some form of activity. Maybe not all that fun but better than sitting there waiting for a clock to tick down.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Bringslite
Interesting stuff. I have always commented in the negative about this kind of thing. Mostly because players (generally) dislike any restrictions or being kept from their idea of what they should be able to do with their play time. Not because I don't like the idea.

Since weird ideas are springing up again (I know) throw this one into the debate tumbler. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
IIRC Age of Wushu has something similar, but it just never works very well for most players. You can just hop onto a different character to do whatever other activity while you wait. Usually timeout penalties work decently when it only prevents you from doing a specific type of activity but you can still go do other things versus a complete timeout from the game.
Ravenlute
I think a timer would only be truly 'punishment' if it only ran while logged in but even then you could just leave the game running and do something else.

To work well I think the timer needs to be removed completely and leave it up to the player to perform a series of tasks, such as mining sulfur in the above example, to be released. That way the player is forced to put in actual effort before they can continue on with that character.
Huran
I really like the jail time feature they are talking about. It would also add some RP flair, especially if the PKer has to pay off debt or escape jail - add a bit of PVE fun on top of the PVP.

Heck I might even PVP more just to get put into jail (eventually) for the challenge to break out smile.

I also like the redemption quality for getting good karma/rep for killing the low rep players. This also adds good RP flair and I feel it fits well with the flavor of the Pathfinder tabletop game. I think it also fits with what might have been intended for the bounty system that hasn't happened yet in the development of PFO.

Of course as Duffy mentions above alts kind of make it so that this kind of system will most likely not stop griefing (and may promote it in some cases) but I think it would have the potential to add some meaningful PVP.

In short, thanks for sharing - its an interesting article.
"Circles of power, gathered by EARTH, welcomed by GOLD, in strife and in mirth. Focused by CRYSTAL, guided by LIGHT, showing the way, by day and by night. wrought in IRON, strengthened by STEEL, together we stand, in wrack and in weal. Hidden in SHADOW, explored by WOOD, we circle together, for the greater good." –Maxikyd– http://www.kotcguild.com/
Baron Malthius
Karma could be an interesting alternative to the reputation system.

Losing xp upon death though? That's a terrible idea. As one of the commenters noted, if players lose xp on death then they can get griefed out of all their hard earned xp and the character loses all their abilities. That would be even worse in a game like this where it generates passively.
Ravenlute
Baron Malthius
Karma could be an interesting alternative to the reputation system.

Losing xp upon death though? That's a terrible idea. As one of the commenters noted, if players lose xp on death then they can get griefed out of all their hard earned xp and the character loses all their abilities. That would be even worse in a game like this where it generates passively.

Yeah, I didn't bring up the xp loss for PFO because it wouldn't work in this game. A debuff might, but since xp is tied into the subscription (for PFO) it would be a horrid function.

I really just wanted to point out the jail idea. smile
Edam
Just make jail optional and a meaningful choice (20 minutes in jail reduces reputation loss, avoids fines, etc etc but restrictions your character in game to only using chat).
Schedim
I preferes the quest/geas idea above rather than any jail/confinement idea, and the Karma idea has merits.
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post