Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Somewhere not Golgotha but about Play Requirments

Bringslite
Smitty
Cant help but laugh a little that a thread on the Golgotha page has reached 14 pages and is now turning into a serious discussion about PvE drop rates..

There we go.

Q
@ Bringslite,

General chat is a temporary fix for the planned notice board/postal system (I hope) and is by definition a shortcut for such communication.

Lee Hammock
Long term our plan is not to have a global General chat. Given our population we figured it would be useful currently, but eventually it will go away (and we do plan on having company and settlement chat, those just take a lot more work to set up).

General chat is fine in modern day and futuristic MMOs but in a sword and sorcery world it shouldn't be a thing. it ruins immersion and makes the world feel alot smaller than it really is. I even tried to advocate the introduction of a /shout command to broadcast hex wide.

The AH thing is still a shortcut - you are paying an imaginary (NPC) to sell your stuff for you 23/7 all week long! I would much rather you pay a player or five to sell stuff while you go out adventuring, return from KB to OV or while your offline. It makes the game feel smaller, and nullifies communities. We all had our own trade settlements, Canis Castrum, Callambea, Kruez Bernstien, Talonguard, Alderwag, and Keepers pass. but most where empty with most people using KB. I put the blame on the AH shortcut, the shrinking community, goblinworks move for new players to enter via thornkeep, and most importantly the dreaded land rush.

Being a trader or merchant is something this game should embrace as a feature of socialization and community generation. We have seen a number of players this year trying to peddle and transport goods across the map entering in hands on communication and only using AHs when they have a reason to travel and sell. They would have to negotiate safe passage through Golgotha mountains from time to time adding to a sense of community, socializing, and personal achievement.

Entering a settlement with active players selling goods between runs from one crafting station to the next would make the game feel so much more alive instead of a simple list of items on a screen. It may not be your idea of fun but its certainly something for other players, by automating the AH so anyone can do it you effectively turn everyone into traders with minimum effort. soldiers, politicians, adventurers, and bandits should not be able to fulfill the role of a trader just by the mere click of a button, you certainly wouldn't expect a trader to slay nhur-athemon at the click of a button now would you?

I just don't think that I need debate with you further about this, Q. Other people might want to chime in to voice support or "not support" about it, though. I will just make a final set of comments responding to yours so that the context moves with the discussion.

There could be room for talk/debate about general chat because you did pull up a quote from Lee. I am not concerned about general too much. If they do go back to that plan, it would only be when the game is populated very well. IF they did, I have a feeling that the community would probably make enough noise to revert that move. If it didn't, well that is because the community is OK with it or wants it.

The only other thing that you really carried over is the AH/merchant thing. I can see that "being a merchant" could definitely be improved play wise. So could lots of things. They all rely on population to work well and be intriguing and fun. From WAY back, I had hoped that "Merchant" and even "Bandit" would be their own separate roles offered support and features of their own.

I hope that you find a game with the AH and merchant features that you seem to want. By the way, is there a game (MMO) that has merchant/AH features that you describe? I have absolutely high confidence that players will never be forced by mechanics to sit in one place and be vendors or auctioneers. How many times (just recently) has Bob restated that the goal is NOT that players be stuck doing things that are keeping them from moving about and having fun with any other aspects of the game. Your ideas are fine (at least for you) yet they contradict not just GW's intents but any other games that I have ever seen. There are reasons for that.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Smitty
Didnt mean ya had to move it! just found it funny…
Bringslite
Smitty
Didnt mean ya had to move it! just found it funny…

It's cool. There are at least two topics ongoing there. I just tried to move one, because…. You are right. It is funny! smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Seraph
I think being a merchant is a thing that can happen without getting rid of the AH. Personally I would find it incredibly boring to stand around in a settlement all day peddling the things that I made, but producing things and then traveling to distant settlements where those items are less common in order to sell them is a thing that should happen (and already does, to an extent).

Further localization of resources would make this more effective. Either you have to run to some far off settlement to buy resources/items, or a merchant has to come to you.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Edam
Full time trader as a profession will only happen once the population is huge.

In EVE station trader types sit at the keyboard and continually micromanage buy and sell prices decreasing sells by 1 ISK and increasing buys by 1 ISK. You can see prices changing in Jita several times a minute in some commodities.
Yrme
I think full time trader works; I think Stache did a good job of keeping his AH filled, publicizing it, and keeping things going.

One of our shortfalls in the SE was that we never had someone wanting/willing to be that full-time trader.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Edam
Yrme
I think full time trader works; I think Stache did a good job of keeping his AH filled, publicizing it, and keeping things going.

One of our shortfalls in the SE was that we never had someone wanting/willing to be that full-time trader.

People tried. The SE location meant you needed the locals as your base customers and all the local settlements at that time were aiming for self sufficiency.

That dynamic is changing.
Seraph
And now Stache is gone, and the only person with enough seasoned accounts to replace him in that capacity isn't interested in running an AH. I have to think there's just not a whole lot of interest in being a merchant right now, at least in the SE.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Jokken
We have merchants abound in the West. I've run an armor shop out of Talonguard for a couple months now. I stock all T2 metal armors in the AH and replace them promptly when they sell. I know several others in our region are doing the same. For the most part sales have tended to be to local folks as people in other areas of the map dislike walking out West. We're ok with that, but the market continues to churn regardless.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Schedim
I have begun to stack enough captial to begin to buy bigger stuff, but all those AHs that seems used enough to warrant moving armour between all present their own armours. So between them I prefere to sell stuff I find for free at the roadside.

And moving expensive armour on chance to lesser used AHs feels a bit boring frankly, as I wouldnt dare to have some fun on the way…
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post