Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Lisa's End of Year Address

Lisa Stevens
Hello Pathfinder Online Players!

The year 2015 has been an exciting but tumultuous time for us at Goblinworks. The team delivered 11 expansions to the game including holdings and outposts and the warfare associated with them; the ability to craft and build your own settlements; new monsters and escalations such as the elementals, duergar and dark elves; new spells, armor, weapons, feats and classes such as the Expert and Freeholder, and much more! But as many of you are aware, we never found all the funding we needed to finish building the game that we have been describing to you. This led us to laying off the majority of the Goblinworks staff at the end of August.

But there is good news to be relayed! Just today, I received a signed letter of intent from a company that wants to take on the Pathfinder Online legacy and see it through to completion. One of the principals of this company has been playing Pathfinder Online since day 1 and understands the vision for the game we are making. The company recently came up to Seattle to the Goblinworks offices and we had 2 productive and exciting days planning for the future and what this game can be.

Now this acquisition of the Pathfinder Online game is incumbent upon them finalizing the funding they are currently in negotiations for, but all signs are very positive on that front right now. This funding will give Pathfinder Online more money to invest in the game than has been spent in over 4 years of development. This will significantly accelerate the development and support of the game to a point unprecedented in Pathfinder Online history. If things continue to go well, they expect to take over the game entirely by March 1, 2016.

In the meantime, the legacy team has been working for the month of December on doing a bunch of polish and bug fixing in the game. The biggest new thing will be the long-awaited and desired vault sorting of personal, company, and settlements vaults. The vaults will use an interface very similar to that used in the Auction House right now. Also, auctions will last for a month instead of a week.

Another much needed feature will be a command for you to use if you become stuck somewhere in the game. By typing /stuck, you will enter a countdown timer for five minutes. During that time, you cannot move nor engage or be engaged in combat. If any of those things happen, the /stuck command expires. If you can manage to not move or be part of combat, after five minutes, you will be teleported to the nearest shrine and none of your items will take durability loss.

Mike has also enabled cloaks and packs in the game, so you will now be able to equip them and have them show up on your characters.

There are more fixes that will be revealed when EE11.1 goes live. The goal is to do testing when the team is back after New Years and if all goes well, launch it in January.

In closing, I thank you all for your support for Pathfinder Online and your friendship in the game. I thank you for an exciting 2015 and look forward to seeing the game expand to its full potential in 2016. Thank you once again!

-Lisa Stevens
Acting CEO
Goblinworks Inc.
Schedim
All of it good news, really good news!
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Tea
smile

Great work Lisa! I'm impressed that you were able to keep up your fighting spirit. No small feat to breathe new life into PFO at this stage. Thanks.

I think many are curious about what the potential new company will continue versus change in PFO. I heard talks about Unity 5 in this https://soundcloud.com/duffy-swiftshadow/keepside-chat-with-lisa-stevens-122915 but don't know enough what that means, e.g. changed graphics or mechanics.
I'm enjoying the game and the community. Are you? http://www.covenantofthephoenix.com/forums/forum/354-pathfinder-online/
Seraph
Unity 5 may help produce improved graphics, animations, and audio. Whether they will be much better than now in the future because of the new engine or just because the team will just put work into them though is pretty much moot. smile
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Midnight
It is always easier to find developers if you're using more modern software.

Professionals hate having to babysit legacy systems at the expense of their own skillset and their ability to land the NEXT job.

e.g. There's still a market for people willing to babysit COBOL, but people using modern software are making more money and working for more interesting companies that are far more likely to make them into millionaires.

The difference between Unity 4 and 5 isn't nearly as stark as being stuck working with a COBOL system, but I'll bet more people (and a better class of programmers) will apply for a Unity 5 position than would apply for a Unity 4 position.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Azure_Zero
Keepside chat recording for those that want to listen to more details.
Schedim
As I understand it the differences between isnt so much as that Unity 5 will continue to develop and Unity 4 will not…

That said I think the UI side is easier to work with, and that is something we really need an improvement in, so it is a good thing.
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Bringslite
Forgot to ask, Lisa. Any news on being able to split stacks easier?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Giorgio
Lisa,

When do the new owners start direct communication with us (the active player base) on their intention/vision/path for the game, and if that involves a partial or full shutdown/reset?
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Bringslite
Giorgio
Lisa,

When do the new owners start direct communication with us (the active player base) on their intention/vision/path for the game, and if that involves a partial or full shutdown/reset?

Pardon me butting in here Giorgio. We were told that the Company (what can we call these guys for now?) will decide on that. Likely not until the deal is truly "finale". I would LOVE to be surprised sooner!
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post