Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Musings on a new investor

Bringslite
Smitty
This is a competitive MMO , having a group(aka settlement) that is a defacto representative of the development company is not a good idea, not if that group intends to play the territory game that the original vision of the game is suppose to be about.
If the players are anonymous members spread throughout the game taking a pulse on the game , I get your average Joe argument. but if that average Joe is a leader of a settlement or influential company of a settlement.. well he is no longer average Joe is he?

Indeed! Perhaps we should start an Inquisition? Yet I don't feel that there would be anything disturbing about The Owners or Employees starting and having their own settlement as long as they played it straight up. Playing for purposes of testing, experiencing, and character to character feedback is just another (perhaps more important) way to play. They should all be banned though. Or, just not tell us who they are. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
Bringslite
Midnight
If suggesting the benefits of clarity and openness endangers what is happening now, I'll happily to wait for the NEXT deal that doesn't feel threatened by clarity and openness.

Oh come on. I mean really?

You totally missed my point. Most of your post isn't even germane to mine. Strawmen, or honest misunderstandings, I don't know.

SSNs and DoBs?

I should be the one saying "Oh come on. I mean really?"
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
Midnight
Bringslite
Midnight
If suggesting the benefits of clarity and openness endangers what is happening now, I'll happily to wait for the NEXT deal that doesn't feel threatened by clarity and openness.

You totally missed my point. Most of your post isn't even germane to mine. Strawmen, or honest misunderstandings, I don't know.

SSNs and DoBs?

You want the character names of any people (involved with a designer or investor) that plays the competitive games that you play? Why do you have the right to expect that? Where does it stop? Is it okay if they submit to public character audits every cpl months?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Smitty
Bringslite
Smitty
This is a competitive MMO , having a group(aka settlement) that is a defacto representative of the development company is not a good idea, not if that group intends to play the territory game that the original vision of the game is suppose to be about.
If the players are anonymous members spread throughout the game taking a pulse on the game , I get your average Joe argument. but if that average Joe is a leader of a settlement or influential company of a settlement.. well he is no longer average Joe is he?

Indeed! Perhaps we should start an Inquisition? Yet I don't feel that there would be anything disturbing about The Owners or Employees starting and having their own settlement as long as they played it straight up. Playing for purposes of testing, experiencing, and character to character feedback is just another (perhaps more important) way to play. They should all be banned though. Or, just not tell us who they are. smile
Do you intend to come across as an ass or is it just natural talent ?

I brought this up a few pages ago when I commented on this in the first place.. I think GW did a great job with consolidating game play with transparency, I feel it is important and hope the new developers do something along the same lines as GW..

Your take is its not important.. I like being as ass to people that disagree with me..

Always great to chat with ya bringslite…
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Ya know, y'all could just remain happy that someone was playing this game and brokered the investor deal in the first place. I'll care about whether this is gonna become a BoB problem later, I am just happy that some company gave enough of a shit to pump funds into this in the first place.

Why give a shit? I wanna wait till we got some kind of finished game first before worrying bout that.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Why give a shit? I wanna wait till we got some kind of finished game first before worrying bout that.

^ +1
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Thod-Theodum
Paddy Fitzpatrick

+1

There is the right and the wrong time to worry about it. At the moment is the wrong time. Not dismissing Midnights concerns - just the timing.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Bringslite
Smitty
Bringslite
Smitty

Do you intend to come across as an ass or is it just natural talent ?

I brought this up a few pages ago when I commented on this in the first place.. I think GW did a great job with consolidating game play with transparency, I feel it is important and hope the new developers do something along the same lines as GW..

Your take is its not important.. I like being as ass to people that disagree with me..

Always great to chat with ya bringslite…

I gave up caring if I come across as an ass many moons ago when discussing most things here on these boards. Most particularly with spin doctors, posters that ALWAYS assume people post with only their own interests at heart, and nasty mean people (who don't care either) in general. I suppose that fun previous exchanges with certain people here have clouded my take on their posts. Weird but true.

That doesn't mean that I want to come across that way. It is just usually most expedient.

My response to you was fueled by your separation of "playing for evaluation" and "playing for fun". I honestly don't think it makes any difference as long as value goes toward the game and the company and no one abuses their knowledge or power. I also don't agree that because some people involved with MMOs that also play them are auto suspect and need to come forth with names.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
Bringslite
Midnight
Bringslite
Midnight

SSNs and DoBs?

You want the character names of any people (involved with a designer or investor) that plays the competitive games that you play? Why do you have the right to expect that? Where does it stop? Is it okay if they submit to public character audits every cpl months?

*If* they would be influential, then knowing who it is (assuming they have been crowdforging) would give an indication of where the game is going.

The audience needs that kind of clarity, and lack of clarity is costing PFO money.

Do I have a right to expect that? No more than they have a right to my money before they even have a retail product. I'm just a customer suggesting how to capture all those dollars that doubt is keeping off the table.

I never even brought up trust issues with dev cheating, that's someone else's tangent. I agree with you that having to trust devs not to cheat is simply a universal condition in gaming. In most games it doesn't even matter if a dev cheats, but certainly it would do more harm to a competitive game if that's what PFO finally becomes.

What I did mention was a concern about impartiality.

Frankly, someone can be my opponent and I can still assume they'll be fair and impartial if they become a moderator/referee to my gaming experience. Yrme and I have killed each other dozens of times, but I'd have no difficulty accepting Yrme as a fair referee over my gaming experience and would continue to give the game my time and my dollars.

But, I suspect, we all can name a few people who we'd have misgivings about suddenly handing the authority to wield the ban hammer.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Thod-Theodum
Paddy Fitzpatrick

+1

There is the right and the wrong time to worry about it. At the moment is the wrong time. Not dismissing Midnights concerns - just the timing.

I never said I need the answer today. I just happened to bring it up today because it came to mind after the latest announcement. Answers can certainly wait until March.

But my guess is the sooner they can offer clarity, the sooner people will re-open their wallets.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post