Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

What really happened there?

Bringslite
For questions, motivations, and opinions (after the fact) as seen by people involved in a series of events or those seeking clarity. Can be anything (PfO) ancient history or recent events (needs not be conflict oriented) that people might find of interest.

Edited a bit above as ordered by the Thread Police.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Bringslite
Doc
There wasn't really any ongoing thing there or any "Soupor Sekrit Pol Ice" Keeping the pressure on.

If we had known prior that Ozem's Vigil and Forgeholm was in a secret alliance with EBA we never would have started a battle in the first place. No pressure needed to be kept on because we basically all thought to ourselves "fuck it, what's the point".

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rc6q?Freevale-is-under-new-management#1

That whole thread just highlights how silly it is to spend years doing all the pre-game build up non-sense. I see the same thing happening with games like Chronicles of Elyria, and I'm sure an equal number of people will become disillusioned (as were with PFO) after years of teasers when the game actually opens up for people to play with it.

I feel bad for all the pre-game daydreamers in the Star Citizen forums, coming up with these grand ideas of all the stuff their going to do. Heh. Why I just wait till open beta to see what is up and what can be done. I guess with PFO because of that we missed out on having a settlement, but then I suppose in the grand scheme of things we didn't really miss out - assuming the new company will do a new landrush and all. If they don't they'd be mad.

Yes I knew about the split up and move of a good portion to Tavernhold. Very glad of it actually because it diffused a pressure cooker of dangerous barbarian attitude playstyle into a small pot of warm water. One that could have made the whole region go in a different direction. Not happy that Ravenlute's crew (apologies if I am forgetting anyone else) had to move but glad that they landed where they did.

We have gone over this before but it looks like you still don't believe it or you have forgotten it, so for the record, I will restate my take.

*There was a friendship between what was the Free Highlanders and the EBA at that time. No agreements or alliance.

*There were one or two nights that Freevale and the AGC or some small part of the AGC tried to take Towers from Forgeholm and Ozem's Vigil and maybe Alderwag (fuzzy now). Including a core 6 Tower at Ozem's.

* Next day (possibly before) Aragon announced that the "Core 6 Treaty" was no longer part of their portfolio. Freevale was along with that as they were linked in alliance.

*On the same night that we (TFH) decided to rally and punish Freevale, we contacted the EBA. They were happy to help because THEY ALREADY HAD PLANS TO MOVE ON ARAGON for dropping that treaty. That may have looked like a Grande Alliance Contingency Plan, and had a similar effect, but it wasn't. It was just friendly groups helping each other.

After realizing that Freevale was not going to respond and securing a cpl towers, we rolled farther south to help out the EBA and helped them take one tower from Aragon. I say "helped" in a very tongue-in-cheek way. The EBA was so large then, they didn't need any help at all. I believe that we did take Aragon's North most Core Tower. A little fuzzy as it seems so long ago.

That's how I remember it going down. After that none of the instigators had much fight left, though there may have been a skirmish or two forgotten. AGC continued to be a nuisance in engagements later with us, but those are different stories.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Tigari
To be fair, we (EoX) was told also that if we attack the north (TFH), that then EBA would retaliate. And after we whooped on the south for a bit, you guys agreed with the south to assist in taking all of our towers in one night. You guys seem to help defend each other. It may not have a name, but it did seem you guys had all alliance of sorts. May not have been official, but perception is everything.
Baron Malthius
My apologies for being so blunt here but is this still relevant to anything currently happening in this game? There is no more EBA or War of Towers, and the main war itself that was the backdrop for all of this is over. Is there anything still worth discussing at all?
Bringslite
Baron Malthius
My apologies for being so blunt here but is this still relevant to anything currently happening in this game? There is no more EBA or War of Towers, and the main war itself that was the backdrop for all of this is over. Is there anything still worth discussing at all?

That depends, Malthius. This thread could be far more relevant to PfO than many that get started here. It does or could have interesting historical value for new players. It could be fun to read what participants in any kind of situation thought was going on. How they saw things. I have often found that kind of stuff helpful… looking at what "the other side" felt was going on, etc… Then again it might have little or no value, but that isn't your personal call.

If it isn't of interest to you, stop reading it or stop posting in it. You'll be free then.

Edit: above post was changed and this line is no longer relevant.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Tigari
To be fair, we (EoX) was told also that if we attack the north (TFH), that then EBA would retaliate. And after we whooped on the south for a bit, you guys agreed with the south to assist in taking all of our towers in one night. You guys seem to help defend each other. It may not have a name, but it did seem you guys had all alliance of sorts. May not have been official, but perception is everything.

Yeah, in that situation we had an advantage as you were caught between two forces (one admittedly not much more than an annoyance) and the EBA was still pretty gung-ho. Later (cpl months?) we got involved again and you didn't hesitate at all. We took a fine beating then! smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
Sounds like a temporary 'Alliance' of Convenience, not really a surprising thing. Sometimes multiple folks' goals align, it happens.

If I (settlement wise) was gonna get in a fight or was getting attacked and I didn't think we could handle it easily enough on our own I'm definitely gonna look for help from anywhere I can if the cost of doing so isn't unreasonable. If I care about the outcome of whatever fight that's just practical. It's most of the fun of the politics side of the game, threading the line and trying to balance your position against others' goals and desires.

That's the whole RP aspect of all this, it's a bit boring if it's just picking red vs blue.
Doc
That may have looked like a Grande Alliance Contingency Plan, and had a similar effect, but it wasn't. It was just friendly groups helping each other.

Except EBA leadership (or a subset) later admitted to having a secret defense agreement with OV and FH, to help their friends in the north in case they got attacked, in the mega-thread I created complaining about a server/map wide mega alliance that was inadvertantly squelching PvP.

That fact of the matter is, that kind of activity was arguably greatly responsibly for the further Red vs. Blue'ing of the game. Soon after that all went down, GPunk pretty much stopped playing, and me and Atheory started talking to ourselves about having to join up with Xeilias if we were going to have any chance of doing anything in game, since pretty much 75% of the map was in an unofficial defensive pact.

You may disagree with me on the specifics, but I know in my heart that was when I felt to myself that the game was officially fucked.
Decius
Tigari
That wasn't a prior agreed alliance. It was just a few one-off coordinated offensives that started when I decided that I didn't want to deny the warhawk groups their fun or the EoX response to diplomatic outreach consisted sole of profanity.
Tigari
Decius
Tigari
That wasn't a prior agreed alliance. It was just a few one-off coordinated offensives that started when I decided that I didn't want to deny the warhawk groups their fun or the EoX response to diplomatic outreach consisted sole of profanity.

Our diplomacy and profanity was a rare occasion. No idea why they sent you of all people. You're half the reason I was so happy to just camp in the south. Guess we should all just be lucky you ended up talking to a drunk Tink and not a Drunk Tig. I would have given Rynnik all kinds of material to work with.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post