Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Power Regeneration

Tigari
Tigari
arty155jln
Smitty
I would hate a cooldown clock ..

So to a 1 hour cool down .. uggg please no .. I want to use my power let me ..
I don't like the ideas of long cooldowns either, but as a game design how are cleric expendables supposed to function in comparison to other classes. If Auspicious is needed for power, then it is almost a must have for any build, that is unless fighter/rogue don't have a lot of good expendables which use power.

Personally I would like to see Power regen like stamina does, just at a slower rate (even out in the wildnerness or in combat). Then give clerics Auspicious as a passive to allow them regen power quicker. That becomes real choice; instead of trying to max a skill, allow the players to decide how much power regen they need based on their playstyle.

Every class has great expendables. The point of Power was to make a Meaning Choice (using works from ex head dev, Ryan Dancy), when using an expendable, so they weren't something you would just spam. I really like how Power works right now, If it worked like Stamina, so many expendables would have to be changed. They just need to fix/tone down how much power Auspicious Critical actually gives you, then everything would be fine. Don't allow it to "top off" your power, (unless you completely stop casting expendables for a long amount of time), but greatly slow down how long it takes for you to fully run out.

Also, remember EVERYONE who trains into cleric can get it, and for pvp, alot of us have a few levels into cleric already. I could easly see my rogue grabbing it once i get my cleric lvl high enought. In group PVP, my main "job" comes from my expendables, So it would be highly valuable.
Edam
Tigari
Also, remember EVERYONE who trains into cleric can get it, and for pvp, alot of us have a few levels into cleric already. I could easly see my rogue grabbing it once i get my cleric lvl high enought. In group PVP, my main "job" comes from my expendables, So it would be highly valuable.

Actually once its fixed it should only give power back on crits and rogues tend to be crit focused so a cleric/rogue with Auspicious Crit could work well. Cleric 12 is a fair investment though, power 24 and a lot of Wisdom.

People should also note that the feat is broken both ways. There are situation such as multiple crits with an area attack like whirlwind that should give multiple bumps to power but you only get it once even if you crit 4 or 5 times. Though on balance the bugs work out more in the users favor then against them.
Tigari
Edam
Tigari

Actually once its fixed it should only give power back on crits and rogues tend to be crit focused so a cleric/rogue with Auspicious Crit could work well. Cleric 12 is a fair investment though, power 24 and a lot of Wisdom.

People should also note that the feat is broken both ways. There are situation such as multiple crits with an area attack like whirlwind that should give multiple bumps to power but you only get it once even if you crit 4 or 5 times. Though on balance the bugs work out more in the users favor then against them.

Yep, My build tends to crit alot smile. I can't wait until (if they still do) put wound points in smile. I'm really hoping this is were the rogue finally excells at something, while their much better then they used to be, their still just a fighter weaker version of a fighter (with different Expendables).
Seraph
For the record, I totally agree that Auspicious Critical is broken and should be fixed (eventually). I've just had such a good experience using it in PvE it's made me realize that the game would be a lot more fun for everyone if we had more free access to power.

I'm actually not opposed to getting rid of power and replacing it with a cooldown system, but the cooldown shouldn't be anywhere close to an hour. Maybe like 2 minutes, or a minute per level of the spell. We'd have to do something with the Power feat though, especially considering I'm going to dump the next 31 days of experience into getting it from 24 to 28 for a marginal to negligible impact on my gameplay just so I can increase my cleric level. Maybe use it as a percent reduction of that cooldown.

When I think of spells in tabletop, clerics and wizards are using at least one spell every combat, especially by the time they're in the mid levels. Sure they eventually have to rest, but it's after a good long session. Also to that end, I think power should regenerate while we're not logged in. That can at least save [people without Auspicious Critical] from ending every session with 10 minutes in the inn.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
tribuzio
Seraph
Pretty much everyone knows that Auspicious Critical is broken.

Actually I had no idea of how this "cleric are broken" thing worked until it was explained to me 2 days ago.
don't assumre that because you know something everyone know and exploit it.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
Seraph

Actually I had no idea of how this "cleric are broken" thing worked until it was explained to me 2 days ago.
Yeah. Even my dedicated Cleric doesn't use Auspicious Critical. Then again, I restrict him almost exclusively to buffing and healing.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Takasi
Seraph
For the record, I totally agree that Auspicious Critical is broken and should be fixed (eventually). I've just had such a good experience using it in PvE it's made me realize that the game would be a lot more fun for everyone if we had more free access to power.

Depends on the definition of 'fun'.

It's certainly easier and more of a power fantasy for everyone to have it.

It would be more challenging and 'fair' if not only power consumption was limited but also attacks and gear were limited in the form of ammunition, oils and required repair kits.

Spells are called expendables because they don't require charges. Once charges are in the game spells will become the primary form of damage with cantrips used as backups. Campfires will also become a viable choice on the field.

Whether you enjoy having to conserve your resources and balance them for PvE is subjective though.
Edam
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
Seraph

Yeah. Even my dedicated Cleric doesn't use Auspicious Critical. Then again, I restrict him almost exclusively to buffing and healing.
It is buff/heal clerics that tend to run out of power the fastest.

Basically Auscpicious Critical is bugged/broken.

But power in general is broken the otherway. It is a huge XP investment (and coin if you are buying the expendables) into feats that unless you are in the same hex as an inn, you can rarely afford to use.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Edam
That's true. In a difficult escalation or PvP my usefulness plummets after about 20 minutes.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
arty155jln
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Edam
That's true. In a difficult escalation or PvP my usefulness plummets after about 20 minutes.
This statement here leads me to believe it's bad MMO design driving the power issues. It seems like the design here is to make players stop playing after 20 minutes, and run back to a settlement or inn.

A player should run out of power after a long drawn out PvP battle or PvE escalation; but that doesn't mean 30-60second brief fights should keep power at a minimum long term. As a design implementation, the power needs to be used during a fight, but then should come back quickly after the fight is over. Right now the Auspicious reactive allows that to happen, and I think that power is broken in the current state if players are needing agile feet to charge up their power before the next fight.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post