Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Name changes

Zycor
lol this guy madesmile
Drogon
Agree with Phy, Tig and Thorgrim here….and believe me, i would like to change at least one of them since I bought one of Cheatles accounts with a name I can't even pronounce.
HpoD - "I have, however, sat and watched as others took things more personally (on both sides) and became zealots, charging forward on a shining white horse into a pile of shit. Forum Warriors at their peak, striding the battlefield knee deep in the bloody, broken arguments of their adversaries before the burning village of their credibility….Chill guys. "
Decius
Would the objections to name changes be resolved if the previous names were still visible, and friend and foe lists updated correctly?
Midnight
I would want name changes if they wipe the server and all this "never happened".

Otherwise, it all comes down to meaningful choices. Choices aren't meaningful if you can't be held responsible for them.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
Why should something like a server wipe change any of the reasons to oppose name changes?
Stilachio Thrax
Midnight
Otherwise, it all comes down to meaningful choices. Choices aren't meaningful if you can't be held responsible for them.

+1
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Midnight
Decius
Why should something like a server wipe change any of the reasons to oppose name changes?

I'm talking about the first days of the new server, not a policy of ongoing name changes (in case that wasn't clear).

If people no longer get to enjoy the benefits derived from their choices (due to a server wipe), there's no reason to saddle them with any detrimental baggage related to those choices.

Just my opinion, but I feel it could make the game feel fresh again, to have to figure some people out, all over again.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
Midnight
Decius

I'm talking about the first days of the new server, not a policy of ongoing name changes (in case that wasn't clear).

If people no longer get to enjoy the benefits derived from their choices (due to a server wipe), there's no reason to saddle them with any detrimental baggage related to those choices.

Just my opinion, but I feel it could make the game feel fresh again, to have to figure some people out, all over again.

"No longer able to enjoy the positive outcome of their decisions" seems like it doesn't cover any of the stated objections to a name change.
Bringslite
Decius

There is a point here. There are bitter enemies and old raw wounds that are not healed. Some people can be recognized on voice chat and some not. EVE+ level security might be needed, in some cases, because of this if there were a wipe including names. The polarizations would likely be close to the same (over all) with a restart, but brand new opportunities for infiltration would not likely be passed up.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
As long as previous names follow us, and such things as account transfers can be noted with that info, I am not opposed to name changes. The fact that name changes showing previous names would make it less attractive for "Names with baggage" doesn't mean that others might not simply want to change their name for any other number of legit reasons including mostly improving the name (in their own view). I am sure that name changes with false account transfer records would be tried, but there is always some way to game around things.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post