Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Name changes

Bringslite
arty155jln
Caldeathe Baequiannia
arty155jln
This is where NewCo gets a piece of the pie. Make it a fee to change accounts from person to person, and then allow a name change for another nominal fee. It becomes a customer support issue. If someone is selling their account, they set the price, but GW/NewCo brokers the deal, and charges both parties $5 for the service, then if a name change is desired, the new owner of the account can, for an additional $5, do a 1 time name change of all 3 characters on that account.
In which case, why not simply allow a name change for $15.00, since all I have to do is sell the account to myself to accomplish the same thing?
Now this could be an exploit of the system, but such a minor one that I wouldn't care if people sold to themselves.

However the whole reason to get customer support involved, is because they have the real life names behind the accounts. It should be the csr that verifies that the account is actually changing hands. If someone wants to go to so much trouble as to create another "name" with associated credit information for payment, then no system will eventually stop them. These systems are all about keeping the honest person honest.

Currently the population base is so low that most people know each other on the forums. If the game can get another 5k-30k subs then names start to become meaningless. As the game grows, name changes mean less and less, especially when nothing else should change about the character. The reputation, alignment etc. all stay the same.

Names are somewhat meaningless in the game, it's actions that count. What if a player actually has a real life change of heart and changes their play style? Do we then keep the same attitude towards the character in game even though the player at the keyboard has changed their play style?

Does EvE allow name changes? I didn't think they did, and characters are sold there all the time. Actually maybe that's the distinction, it's not the account that is sold, but the character in EvE.

That's fine until that name destroys an entire settlement (ala deep game) and wants a name change so that he can join yet another.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
arty155jln
Bringslite
arty155jln
Caldeathe Baequiannia
arty155jln
This is where NewCo gets a piece of the pie. Make it a fee to change accounts from person to person, and then allow a name change for another nominal fee. It becomes a customer support issue. If someone is selling their account, they set the price, but GW/NewCo brokers the deal, and charges both parties $5 for the service, then if a name change is desired, the new owner of the account can, for an additional $5, do a 1 time name change of all 3 characters on that account.
In which case, why not simply allow a name change for $15.00, since all I have to do is sell the account to myself to accomplish the same thing?
Now this could be an exploit of the system, but such a minor one that I wouldn't care if people sold to themselves.

However the whole reason to get customer support involved, is because they have the real life names behind the accounts. It should be the csr that verifies that the account is actually changing hands. If someone wants to go to so much trouble as to create another "name" with associated credit information for payment, then no system will eventually stop them. These systems are all about keeping the honest person honest.

Currently the population base is so low that most people know each other on the forums. If the game can get another 5k-30k subs then names start to become meaningless. As the game grows, name changes mean less and less, especially when nothing else should change about the character. The reputation, alignment etc. all stay the same.

Names are somewhat meaningless in the game, it's actions that count. What if a player actually has a real life change of heart and changes their play style? Do we then keep the same attitude towards the character in game even though the player at the keyboard has changed their play style?

Does EvE allow name changes? I didn't think they did, and characters are sold there all the time. Actually maybe that's the distinction, it's not the account that is sold, but the character in EvE.

That's fine until that name destroys an entire settlement (ala deep game) and wants a name change so that he can join yet another.
Is it really an issue for a player to destroy a settlement and get away with it?

We as the players are able to keep people out of settlements. Timing is not right, but eventually I will encourage the people I play with to do thorough background checks before allowing any type of roles to new company members. And, if, a player can worm there way in over a 2 year time span to take down a settlement, then I'm all for that game play, because it took a lot of patience and trust to get that far. But that is part of the meta gaming in a game like PFO.

I would hate to buy an account with a name like "lolzisU" on it. When the game is large enough, 1 name is not going to have the same impact that it does now. Even without name changes, the same player behind the character could have multiple characters spread across multiple settlements, and it would be hard to know.

It wouldn't surprise me to know that right now there are "spies" inside of every settlement with 1 player controlling all those spies. That is a part of the game that some people absolutely love, and the earlier in the game you make your characters, and the less problems you cause along the way, then the sweeter the take down after years of planning. That scenario doesn't need a name change.

Fortunately that style of play is not the norm, however it can destroy the game for many players. But nothing can stop bad things from happening. It's why a PvP mentality has to be about being able to pick yourself up after losing.
Bringslite
Good food for thought, Arty. I'm going to chew on it. It's not like I haven't changed my stance on other isuues involving PVP.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
It is not 100% clear we actually want or need the insane level of paranoia that exists in EVE (many corps, including my mains corp, only allow members they have met in real life). At the very least that level of Paranoia will be detrimental in the early stages of the game.

Much of the game mechanics in this game is a direct import from EVE (far more than non EVE players realize) however EVE specializes in attracting the sociopathic and goes out of its way to endorse a street ghetto "gang turf" mentality. Awoxing a corp and having a few thousand players rage quit is worth street cred in EVE and will make you famous.

Ryan clearly favored this meta for PFO longterm but whether it was ever going to be workable here remains debatable.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post