Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Concerns over Settlement Costs

Bringslite
I don't think either is a great idea. Of the two, I would choose the wipe and I (like everyone here) have a great deal of hard work to lose. A sandbox needs players interacting more than not. Two separate "worlds" is anathema to that.

EVE is THE example of a single world (galaxy, universe) that is at a success level below WoW but one that PFO would probably LOVE to see.

Hopefully, sooner or later, someone will invest the kind of money/work needed into a sandbox that is so good it feels and plays like an interactive player story driven theme park. That company might just get very rich if they do it right.

Edit: A new Zone is different if you mean an add on for space. There should always be a frontier in a sandbox like this, IMO.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Smitty
Just cause its on my mind … I know this has nothing do with most this topic beyond thinking about separate servers and the game expanding.. Years from now when we are all T3 and the map is full.. and all the space is taken and we have 100k players.. and folks are looking for ways to expand the game world ..
File this under it would be cool section once the game is open and we are looking for ways to truly expand it..
Instead of monthly azlanti stone events etc… Put in gates to other realms of golorian .. have them open up for a few months all over the map .. let us explore all the places in the adventure paths.. Kakishon ( or city of brass or something) form legacy of fire .. Saventh-Yhi, from serpents skull,, some place in Minkai for jade regent etc ..
Anyway just think it would be cool for expanding the playing world and bring more pathfinder into the game .. will give us places to go and new things to fight over..
Bringslite
Smitty
Just cause its on my mind … I know this has nothing do with most this topic beyond thinking about separate servers and the game expanding.. Years from now when we are all T3 and the map is full.. and all the space is taken and we have 100k players.. and folks are looking for ways to expand the game world ..
File this under it would be cool section once the game is open and we are looking for ways to truly expand it..
Instead of monthly azlanti stone events etc… Put in gates to other realms of golorian .. have them open up for a few months all over the map .. let us explore all the places in the adventure paths.. Kakishon ( or city of brass or something) form legacy of fire .. Saventh-Yhi, from serpents skull,, some place in Minkai for jade regent etc ..
Anyway just think it would be cool for expanding the playing world and bring more pathfinder into the game .. will give us places to go and new things to fight over..

+1 Love it!
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
I am not sure these wipe discussions are helpful. Particularly bearing in mind any wipe would need to be total not this "leave me with my XP so I can rebuild even stronger" nonsense.

- If you are a new player on free trial thinking of subbing and read these long discussions about wiping the game in 12 months when it goes open enrolment would you sub now?

- If you are an existing player thinking of unsubbing and read these long discussions about wiping the game in 12 months when it goes open enrolment would you continue to sub?

- If you are an existing player who has unsubbed and read these long discussions about wiping the game in 12 months when it goes open enrolment would you resub?

- If you have considered bringing friends in from other games and read these long discussions about wiping the game in 12 months when it goes open enrolment would you recommend they sub now?
Tigari
I tell my friends not to sub right now anyways. The game isn't that fun (being in teh first month of T1), and, when NewCorp takes over, who knows what they do. IMO I would enjoy a "we're brining the servers down for xmonths (3-6maybe?), then going to reopen them, with a complete wipe.) While the servers are down, they make some of the much needed changes in the game, that are hard to do little at a time. Get some of the mechanics in for good.

Or maybe leave the server up, but make it a Test Server, where we know it will all be wiped. This way we can test the stuff as it comes out. With this they would need to turn off subs, but also turn off free trials. No need for people to try out the game while in a testing phase still.
Tigari
I'd love my friends to play this, but they are alot more picky then I, and if they get a bad taste of teh game at this point, the chance of them returning is very low.
Phyllain
If they said they where going to wipe the game I wouldn't play again until they did the wipe. It's why I didn't play in the alpha. That being said I think the best thing they could do would be to bring the server down for as long as they need to implement the basics that will make the game playable and then start us all over. No more stockpiles of bulk goods no more 10/10 wep achievements that some ppl used macros to gain on starter goblins. No more advantages that some people gained by exploiting broken mechanics.
MidknightDiamond
I could agree with pulling the server down to get everything set up and even a wipe - contingent on the guarantee that since we'd have to start all over, we get the months we paid for credited for future months. After all, the xp is what we paid for so that'd have to be guaranteed.

Above all social functions NEED to be a thing. It still irks the hell out of me in one of his last chats how utterly dismissive Dancey was of social functions. That they weren't important. MMO's of any variety shouldn't be 'purely' solo experiences and the disconnect there… kills me, just kills me.
Aurora Silverstar, Pathfinder University Quartermaster & Explorer
Kiernan Silverstar, Aurora's lazy & good-for-nothing younger brother who just likes to blow things up.

PM MidknightDiamond on Paizo Forum
Quijenoth Starkiller
Takasi
I was referring to pre NGE.

SWG was doing great for it's market but Sony wanted more money so they wiped everything and started over. It sucked.

So again Quijenoth, why do you think a wipe is better than a new zone?
I've voiced my reasons why a wipe would be better for this game overall in the past…

1) undo everything related to the land rush
2) start over without the clutter of settlements (everyone starts in thornkeep) but introduce basic guild housing around thornkeep. This way the game feels more alive to new players because they will actually see people!
3) keep players capped at level 9 until the game is ready to expand into settlements.
4) balance combat properly BEFORE we spend months of XP on abilities they later nerf into uselessness because future mechanics aren't ready.
5) remove the huge stockpile of resources and mats currently cluttering the databases. tokens, and bulk resources being the biggest culprits.
6) provide the art department with a focus on 1 area of the map and work outward, improving the cosmetic side of the game 10 fold for new players.

doing any of the above via a new zone will not improve the game. we as founders are still the strength of this game. the community is second to none when it comes to helping new players get to grips with the game, if you separate the new from the old you risk loosing that connection and make it harder for new players to start out.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Takasi
All of those things can be done in a new zone Q.

I predict with a new zone you will have veterans multiboxing in both realms to help new players and old in both areas. It's more of an expansion rather than separation. If the population of OE is high enough it won't make a difference to the feel of community, other than pleasing both veterans and new players by offering both options.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post