Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Concerns over Settlement Costs

Decius
If you want to make a different spinoff, make a different spinoff. It isn't necessary or productive to kill the existing product.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Ya know, you can propose a separate server even make it different than the current one, but we all know this will split the playerbase even if there are a bunch of guys doing both. You may also have a lot more guys playing on one than the other.

But…this is ok if ya got a big enough player base to take that kind of hit.

We here are nowhere close to that playerbase.

Like I said before, a wipe would only do good if the gameplay changes drastically enough to warrant it. Then I'd be OK with a wipe and starting over cause we would be playing a different game.

If there was a wipe and it wasn't cause of this though, I'd probably stop subbing all but my main account and only keep the account for recruitment and guild maintenance. May encourage others to stay just to get a feel of things, but the focus will shift from active play to figuring out a post wipe plan.

I'm guessing other guilds would probably do something like that. Activity will go down and I doubt this game can even afford to take that kind of hit.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Edam
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I'm guessing other guilds would probably do something like that. Activity will go down and I doubt this game can even afford to take that kind of hit.

Smaller settlements would not survive a wipe. You would be left with the one or two huge settlements based on outside guilds and the odd settlement that is actually just one or two players with 10 accounts surviving.

There seem two reasons for players to want a wipe:
- they are hoping a wipe will result in a lot of the older big established groups quitting the game (unlikely) giving an opportunity for them to bring in their out of game guild en masse and start from scratch and dominate, essentially saying "if you wipe and hand me a settlement I will bring in 500 players from xxxx"
- they are not happy with their current char and are pushing for a wipe except for XP to allow themselves a rebuild with full back XP
Bringslite
Well Fellas, we've got another month and some until we (hopefully) get a nice blog that lays out what all is going to happen. In a MMO persistent world, that is still a nice stretch of time to have some fun.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Tigari
Edam
Paddy Fitzpatrick

Smaller settlements would not survive a wipe. You would be left with the one or two huge settlements based on outside guilds and the odd settlement that is actually just one or two players with 10 accounts surviving.

- they are hoping a wipe will result in a lot of the older big established groups quitting the game (unlikely) giving an opportunity for them to bring in their out of game guild en masse and start from scratch and dominate, essentially saying "if you wipe and hand me a settlement I will bring in 500 players from xxxx"
- they are not happy with their current char and are pushing for a wipe except for XP to allow themselves a rebuild with full back XP

I wish they'd get rid of ALL PC settlements, put the focus back on Companies. Then introduce settlemnts later on, closer to when actual siege mechanics are ready. I Think it would be better to have Companies as the main social aspect of the game, and settlements just a group of like minded settlements.

EDIT: Also, I am 100% fine with my character as he is now and If a wipe happens, don't really expect any of my XP back (although I do think if this happens, accounts need to be credited back for the months they spend XP). I'm not promising my group will bring in x players IF you do a wipe. I am saying that I think a wipe is good for the game, To many things have happened due to bad mechanical bugs or unintended effects. The fact that a settlement can go without all their holdings for even longer then a month at this point is a fail in the game IMO.
The Eternal Balance
Edam

Ah, yup. Spot on again.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Quijenoth
The Eternal Balance
Edam

Ah, yup. Spot on again.

As Tigari pointed out, if they wipe they sure as hell better wipe everything! This kind of fear mongering that backhanded deals might take place is not constructive at all.

On the view about character rebuilding, I'll admit I would definitely benefit from a rebuild on one of my characters at least. Its not entirely our fault though, nerfs and game changes we where not made aware of has probably meant this game has more un-optimized characters than any MMO in history (I'm sure a few people wished they had made different choices when they introduced the expert and freeholder roles and expendables). BUT there's no guarantee that after a wipe those things wont happen again.

But the real issue is GW put the value of their subs equal to the amount of XP your character has. If you take it away people will scream for refunds or compensation. Would players accept store credit instead? I could consider using some of my sub credit to perhaps purchase a small holding or use the money I'm saving to sub an extra account. a refund doesn't have to be a huge head start.
Hobson Fiffledown
Oh, come on. That's about as fair and true as saying the only arguments against a wipe come from old guard aristocrats who couldn't repeat their empire building on a level playing field with thousands of players.

There are a lot of interesting arguments regarding a wipe/no wipe/long downtime pause. Until (when/if) NewCorp takes over, and they make their intentions known, we won't know anything. They're either going to fix this puppy on the road, or they're going to pull it in the shop, and I hope to pharasma that there isn't going to be any public discussion about it. Be a boss, NewCorp.

I think a wipe could be more invigorating for the game in general, and possibly easier on NewCorp (what if they go all new engine, new ui, new everything). I only mention keeping xp because I remember them saying that if, pharasma forbid, they had to wipe this hopefully persistent world, that we would retain xp. Would I reassign xp a little differently? Yew bettcha. Personally, Hobson only has a month or so of "wasted xp", but I'm sure some people out there would start playing "broken" characters again. With the eventually slow power curve of this game, none of that should even really be an issue. I don't think a wipe is necessary, but it's easy to see what some of the benefits would be. Evaluating those verses the risks and costs is NewCorp's job.

(but, oh, I would miss my 12 months of hoarded recipes, spells, materials, and maneuvers. Sometimes I like to scroll through my vault just to watch the ui stutter.)

I think of a server wipe as a tool that NewCorp has access to. Like many things, I hope they back off a little on the Crowd and concentrate more on the Forging.
This space for rent.
The Eternal Balance
Hobson Fiffledown
I think of a server wipe as a tool that NewCorp has access to. Like many things, I hope they back off a little on the Crowd and concentrate more on the Forging.

Well said (even though I favor no wipe).
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Decius
There's a huge business reason not to provide what amounts to a full refund of all subscription time ever paid.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post