Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Concerns over Settlement Costs

Bringslite
Decius
There's a huge business reason not to provide what amounts to a full refund of all subscription time ever paid.

Do tell. Is it precedent? As good as this community is with new players, we are a serious asset even if we are not the largest MMO community out there.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite
Decius
There's a huge business reason not to provide what amounts to a full refund of all subscription time ever paid.

Do tell. Is it precedent? As good as this community is with new players, we are a serious asset even if we are not the largest MMO community out there.

I think the reason he is referencing is the money it would cost them.

On the wipe- unless the new, improved game experience was so mind-boggling better than what it is now, I won't continue if they wipe everything. I have no desire to redo the achievement grind. If I'm going to have to start over, it will be in another game.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Decius
Bringslite
Decius

It would drop residual revenue to zero, and more people would be lost when subscription costs started back up.
Midnight
If a wipe won't bring enough new money that refunding our old money/subscription-time becomes "incidental", then there's no reason for a wipe.

If a wipe attracts a mere 10,000 new players… that would make our subscription time incidental to credit to us.

And even attracting that few new players would probably qualify as a "failure" in the gaming press.

To me it seems really simple. Honoring the essence of the promise they made is cheap and easy if a wipe is going to attract the masses, and if you can't attract the masses, then why wipe the server?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Quijenoth Starkiller
It really depends on the validity of T3 and its conceived endgame wipe or no. If T3 defines the norm among the current players then new players are going to find it hard to justify playing the game for a year before they get into the meat of it. If T2 remains as the norm and T3 is endgame only then its only 1 month to get into it. most will accept that and simply accept the veteran players (or buy into it).

In the end its probably going to be a balance of the two if the investors do their homework. Otherwise either side will feel scorned and losses of subs will ensue.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Edam
Lets be honest here.

Any wipe would need to be complete including XP and people do NOT deserve a cash refund for used subs as they were paying for access to the game to PLAY it which they recieved in full.

Personally :

• I think a wipe is unnecessary and detrimental.
  • I believe people asking for a wipe are often (though not all) self interested and see advantage in a wipe for themselves or their group
  • Discussion of even the possibility just creates uncertainty and is detrimental to the game. It makes zero business sense for the new company to say anthing about a potential wipe until the very day it happens anyway. If it does happen it will be on decisions totally unrelated to what people say here.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
We're probably more productive delivering honest assessment of what we think should happen, rather than what we want or deserve.

What people deserve is relative. Since the (then) team lead repeated several times that the only thing guaranteed about EE was XP, people went into it with a reasonable expectation that any XP they paid for was guaranteed. If the game were passing through bankruptcy, that commitment would be dissolved. Under the conditions we are observing, it's difficult to make a case that a wipe including XP is satisfying the company's obligations. The new owners will, of course, make their own assessments, and may feel they have sufficient incentive to take that particular bull by the horns.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Doc

"I believe people asking for a wipe are often (though not all) self interested and see advantage in a wipe for themselves or their group"

I see an advantage for the game's chance to be "a thing" other than a footnote in MMORPG history about how to fail. But it's funny you say that because I believe people who argue against a wipe are almost assuredly against it for their own selfish reasons. But why not, they paid money? I get it, I don't blame them.

But the whole permanent EXP from alpha to launch and beyond thing was a bribe from GoblinWorks to get people to fund their game. The bribe was giving people a chance to stand as "gods amongst mere mortals" for once in a game. The concept flies in the face of expected convention and the consistent backlash from the wider MMMORPG community reveals how risky of a ploy it was.

Personally, I think a wipe would be fun. Getting a chance to start out again with less of the game broken, and many of the issues that created lasting feuds and bad blood handled and fixed. I would myself, keep my name, but others who want to disassociate from the persistent bullshit could do so and enjoy themselves much easier, and safeguard against future trouble from the meta-experience they've gained.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I think there's a solid anecdotal case that the game would have a better chance of succeeding with a wipe to clean-slate. It would disappoint a lot of people, including me, and I would be a squeaky wheel about compensation, because I've spent a lot of my entertainment budget on unrealized potential (I'm keenly interested in playing a bard and a druid). Whether the increased success chance would be large, I don't know. Fortunately, all of my costs are sunk, so I don't have to know. I can say that if they wipe to clean-slate without a refund, there's no chance I'll play again. I'd hope to recover some value from my DT accounts, unless they mess with those as well. With a refund, I'd play, but almost certainly fewer subscriptions than I have now.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Quijenoth Starkiller
It really depends on the validity of T3 and its conceived endgame wipe or no. If T3 defines the norm among the current players then new players are going to find it hard to justify playing the game for a year before they get into the meat of it. If T2 remains as the norm and T3 is endgame only then its only 1 month to get into it. most will accept that and simply accept the veteran players (or buy into it).

In the end its probably going to be a balance of the two if the investors do their homework. Otherwise either side will feel scorned and losses of subs will ensue.

This!

If T3 becomes the standard instead of the exception, it basically becomes the WoW effect. In a game with passive xp waiting a year before "the real game" begins is crazy. No one is a gonna play that even if you do wipe.

That is a major design flaw in the game if this happened, and a wipe just delays the inevitable rather than fixes the problem.

Like I said before, I don't mind a wipe if the game changes so much that it's better to start over with all the new stuff. But if this games got other design issues, a wipe ain't gonna fix those.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post