Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Concerns over Settlement Costs

Tigari
Who says the wipe has to happen at OE? They can wipe, and still have 3-4 months of EE left.. This would actually be the smarter way to due it.

EDIT: Plus, what's the difference now between EE and OE? Just them saying "Hey, we're in OE now!"?
Doc
"One thing to keep in mind is that Lisa has stated more than once that when the game goes to open enrolment, she wants a living, breathing world waiting for the new players - where there is already player history in place. That can't happen if there is a wipe."

May end up being a catch-22, I guess we'll see.

Interestingly, CCP (EVE Online developers) will in a couple weeks deploy their "skill trading" system to the game, whereby players can extract skills points to sell on the in-game market in the form of neural packets, and other players can buy them and inject said skill points into their character.

It use to be that EVE was a common example of a way to justify the permanent advantage early players have over new players in PFO, and that it can be a viable system. Now in EVE, given enough money (which one can easily acquire through PLEX real life money to game money conversions) you can start out new and catch up to veteran pilots (in terms of game skill points) virtually right away. Either CCP found the legacy permanent skill advantage system to be a cause for declining subscriptions, or they see better monetization by allowing people the ability to pay to catch up.

Looks like PFO, if it's permanent experience advantage concept holds, will be in a class by itself going forward. Any other games that set up players like that?
Doc
"Plus, what's the difference now between EE and OE? Just them saying "Hey, we're in OE now!"?"

I can't imagine why the new company would even continue using those terminologies. Maybe I''m just off base, but I don't see them carrying on with much of any of the failed conventions that GW adopted or created. The whole wordsmithing fraud (maybe to harsh but I feel it was a con) of the EE/OE bit that Ryan Dancey came up with was one of the biggest detractors for the game from what I could see. It consistently brought derision upon the project from the outside.

The project and the new company would probably be better served by using commonly recognized and understood industry terms and development patterns like "Closed-Beta" "Open-Beta" and "Officialy Launched".
Midnight
Edam
Midnight
Such planning has worked wonderfully for me in 10 years of Eve-Online.

But you cannot bank unspent XP in EVE the way you can here?

You queue xp to be spent, up to a year in advance, and there is no gating required.

While not entirely identical systems, the fact is that you can not play an EvE character for very long periods of time and still extract the xp value from them years later as you position them throughout the galaxy or switch which character will be your main for a while, and have your choice of training paths to turn to.

Piracy made you too popular? Time to switch to that mission runner with a clean record, for a while.

Did they nerf your favorite Caldari missile build? Good thing you have lots of other builds to switch to.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Doc
In kickstarters you just have to make a good faith attempt to comply with "promises".
Very little of the time and XP we have paid for had anything to do with the Kickstarter. The kickstarter was purely early access and addons, most of which we haven't got. Subscription fees paid to earn XP are a sale made to us by Goblinworks on the basis of a promise that they were the one thing we would not lose. The Kickstarter has only a peripheral connection to expecting compensation for subscriptions (in that some people purchased some time via the kickstarter).
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Midnight
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Doc
In kickstarters you just have to make a good faith attempt to comply with "promises".
Very little of the time and XP we have paid for had anything to do with the Kickstarter. The kickstarter was purely early access and addons, most of which we haven't got. Subscription fees paid to earn XP are a sale made to us by Goblinworks on the basis of a promise that they were the one thing we would not lose. The Kickstarter has only a peripheral connection to expecting compensation for subscriptions (in that some people purchased some time via the kickstarter).

Yup, kickstarter rules have NOTHING to do with any of my accounts. If GW or NewCo were silly enough to wave the kickstarter rules at my credit card company, I'd receive my chargebacks the next day.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
Huran
The game would have to go through a serious overhaul for me to come back after a wipe. Not saying a wipe is not the best solution, just saying having to go through all the grinding for achievements a third time (first being Alpha) is tiring and boring. Frankly I don't think I would have the strength to go through all of that again.

My wife is in the same boat, we have better things to do than play the same game over again a third time through.

If the game is different enough after a wipe, then I can see us coming back to something fresh and exciting.

Doing it all over again in the same game
AND
the loss of trust as if they wipe once they can feasibly wipe anytime they like which is the death of a no XP cap game.

In the end, like EVE, this is a game where a head start only provides a temporary advantage and player knowledge of the game and friends are what matters. I got to experience this directly in Thornkeep last week when a day or two old player failed miserably to gank my 1000 point TK alt (that has only actually spent 400 XP). The logic seems to be potential new players will not understand the implications of a "no XP cap, accumulate XP offline" game like PFO so give them a reset so they feel warm and fuzzy even though a reset is pointless.
Tigari
Pretty sure in the ToS somewhere, it says something about GW owning your characters (most MMO's do, Haven't read this one in a while). That means your not even paying for XP, your paying to play the game, and you are. Your character, your items, and your Xp are all still Goblinworks, So they can do as they please with it.
Midnight
Tigari
Pretty sure in the ToS somewhere, it says something about GW owning your characters (most MMO's do, Haven't read this one in a while). That means your not even paying for XP, your paying to play the game, and you are. Your character, your items, and your Xp are all still Goblinworks, So they can do as they please with it.

They would still need a judge to agree with that (especially since the no xp wipe was part of the marketing). I'm totally ok with letting wise old judges (or my credit card company) decide what is reasonable/legal.

But sections of many "agreements" written by only one party to the agreement, entered into with only that one party having legal representation at the time of the agreement have been found invalid.

Example: The parking lot ticket stub that says they have no responsibility for your safety or your property are a LIE. Courts have found plenty of those same parking lots liable for what occurs there, despite that stub's proclamation that you accept their terms by parking there. Most company written "agreements" are an attempt to fool the consumer into thinking they have less rights than they do. Their value isn't in the courtroom, their value is in tricking consumers into not entering courtrooms (and not calling their credit card companies for a refund/chargeback),

Also, credit card companies are becoming quite educated about gaming as digital gaming purchases reached a record 61 billion dollars this year. Now that they understand the industry, they are also being a lot more fair to consumers and less able to be tricked into accepting game company smoke and mirrors. You should read all the folks who bragged about their successful Diablo 3 chargebacks.

I did a successful credit card chargeback on Eve-Online (because I didn't receive my PLEX). The chargeback was later reversed again in favor of CCP, but only after CCP finally delivered the PLEX I paid for. All parties were happy at the end because everyone got what was promised. My Credit Card company decided what was reasonable, NOT CCP.
-Edmund Burke
Tigari
…This has happened MANY times with MMO's. They'll promise something in game, not be able to deliver, and everyone who things they got screwed tries to yell "illegal" or "Foul Play". Never worked for any of them. We pay purely for the right to play, as long as they give us that, they can do anything To the game, or in game they want.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post