Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Thod-Theodum
The current algorithm is very harsh on the regrowth of a hex that has been strip mined. A hex that is down from 100% to 40% will regrow in one day. So if it is down from 100 resources to 40 then someone taking out 10 or 20 during that time will slow it down but it will recover - just a few hours later.

Now take a hex that was strip mined to 1%. Regrowth means that it grows by a factor of 2.5 per day. So 3 days later and we are back to 15% and on the way to recovery. But that assumes 72 hours of not taking out a single resource. Taking out just 10 resources during these 3 days will keep the hex in an eternal state of being stripped.

My suggestion therefore is simple - allow a small chance - say 1/500 or 1/1000 that instead of 1% regrowth you get 20% regrowth. Actually writing this here - you could do the same as with + and ++ drops. A + regrowth is what happens now - a ++ regrowth would mean it can go back into a feasible amount of resources in one go.

There are 92 15 minute periods in the 23 hours of the day when the server runs. So 1/500 would mean that it takes on average 5 days for a chance to be back to 20%. 1/1000 would be more then 10 days. Maybe 1/650 would be the sweet spot - once a week (on average - off course it might take a lot longer if you are unlucky and keep farming the hex.

These hexes still would be vulnerable - but at least they get a fighting chance to come back alive.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Azure_Zero
Working as intended….

Strip-mining is suppose to be a valid tactic for warfare, even though war is not going on…
Thod-Theodum
Azure

The above won't help (much) against strip mining as warfare. All you need to do is occasionally harvest a little bit more again. At the moment it is too easy to keep a hex strip mined. It is a 5 min job (daily) to keep it strip mined forever or 20 minute every three days. This makes it impossible to defend against strip mining if it ever happens. And I'm sure it will happen deliberately.

I don't think this is 'working as intended'. It places all the power on the strip miner. The above would mean once a week it takes 1 hour to keep it where it is - or longer if you don't monitor it - if you leave it for three days (after a lucky regrowth) you might even have a single resource back again. This seems a much more workable compromise.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Decius
Have you encountered any areas that have been continuously stripped for long enough to be a problem?
Thod-Theodum
Decius
Have you encountered any areas that have been continuously stripped for long enough to be a problem?

According to Storehouse the crater between EL and Hopes End was strip mined on the second of January (mineral nodes). This is ongoing. It was fine on the 14th of December last year - I have no data in between. The irony is this hex 'belongs' to the Aeonien League who hardly allow anyone to gather in their lands and especially not in their craters.

Maybe the first act of strip mining warfare after all the heated discussions elsewhere here. I doubt the AL is dumb enough to have done it themselves. Maybe Duffy or someone else can shed some light on this when it started.

(edit: I mixed up some data - seems it is in this state for 4 weeks now not 3 days as I originally claimed. I have no proof if it recovered in between or if not - this would change the narrative a little if this happened well before AL started to defend their resources that hard.)
Caldeathe Baequiannia
None of the current math around stripping hexes is meaningful, and any adjustments based on them are premature. Total resources were reduced by 75% or more last summer because of the low server population. If the game is successful, then when those numbers are returned to the hundreds and thousands, it will be very difficult for one or two people to strip a hex, and a common material may be returning 20-30 units every 15 minutes (at 1% of 3200 Tansey Leaves or Brimstone [at 3200, a 90% or better chance every fifteen minutes until you've removed more than 300])
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Thod-Theodum
@Cal
A fun fact about the crater hex - this place was stripe mined before in July 2015. It recovered 3 days later because the reduction in resources caused a reset. What irony that a reduction of resources was the saviour for that hex.

Your calculation about the 3200 Tansy leaves is disingenuous. I guess you have the number from my other post. I was hating that hex as it just didn't seem to exhaust itself - ever. I was hating it even more because all I got out of it was Tansy leaves. The best other value I have seen (outside that hex - it also contained 750 Brimstone) is a value of approx. 320 Hyssop Oil. Most hexes have a max of around 150 to 200 for the top occurring resource. I don't count essence - I never manage to get essence to the next level.
So when I was able on my own to gather fast enough to reduce that hex from full to the next level then I will still be fast enough to exhaust a hex that currently has 150 and increases to 600 if they quadruple resources.
Anyhow - the issue is regrowth. What happens if you go down to 10 Tansy Leaves?
I think the bottom right now is that you have at least a 1% chance. And this bottom was only included because I showed that otherwise it would stay eternally at that level. Now our 10 Tansy would grow once a day by 32. Yep - for that specific hex it would be more then a 5 minute job to keep it permanently strip mined. But it is only this one hex.

PS: And as a strip miner I wouldn't do what I do right now - harvest everything. I would gather a single resource until that resource is dead - then and only then would I switch to the next resource. And I might ask a friend. Currently I do it alone and at times where I expect a full hex as it ensures more accurate data.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Thod-Theodum
So when I was able on my own to gather fast enough to reduce that hex from full to the next level then I will still be fast enough to exhaust a hex that currently has 150 and increases to 600 if they quadruple resources.
Those values are of the top grade only. The re-growth is based on the total rating. A hex with 150 of Grade 1 coal will have a total of 600 coal of all four grades, which means 2400 when it is quadrupled. When the top layer is fully removed, it will have a 75% chance of restoring 24 coal every fifteen minutes. If it takes you an hour to pull 150, it's almost guaranteed to have put back 96 during that hour.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Thod-Theodum
Here is some more data that helps to find out how difficult it is to strip mine a hex (all data excluding essence). The data is how much resources in total are in a hex.

Mountain hexes
ZKM mountain hexes: 1*500, 1*600, 2*800, 3*1000
Crater (South of KB): 500

Plains
Spire and hexes next to it - 2*600

Woods (all near EL)
1*600, 2*1000, 1*2400

Highlands
All three Highlands near Marchmont 800, 1250, 1600

The more valuable resources are (crater) the easier it is to strip mine them. I won't expect ever that the hex NW of EL (2400 total resources - 2/3 of that Tansy and Brimstone) will be strip mined. Tansy Leaves forever for the Emerald Lodge.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Well my question is not about the math but are there any counter measures?

To me the obvious one would be assign people to patrol the area, maybe prioritize the high risk areas.

I doubt that the there are enough people on this entire server to actually pull this off. So my next question, are there any other tools that can aid in patrolling hexes?

If not, then there's the first problem. War is about developing tactics and coming up with counter measures. But, if ya ain't got no way to fight back against strip mining then give people ways to fight back against strip mining.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post