Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Takasi
Bringslite
Try attracting Dev attention like this below:

FWIW it's awesome when Bob picks up on little hidden questions though. smile

Bob
With existing tech, I could theoretically make a rare mob that dropped a lot of heavy salvage, but then the character landing the killing blow would auto-loot it and become rooted in place. Potentially a very unpleasant surprise.

It might be unpleasant to trash the loot, run up a mule or have a bandit kill me…but still more pleasant than not getting any at all.

Does it have to be killing blow, or can it go to all party members like a boss kill? If we were aware of the rules we'd know what we're getting into when we spot them.
Bringslite
Wouldn't any amount that required a mule, stick/stuck even a 6 man party anyway?

P.S. I love the idea of choice fat and very challenging random encounters out there… <points to The Horizon> in the wilds!

Edit: Lol, still don't want to economically shaft gatherers, but if a pure PVE/PVP character can provide enough salvage for his gear occasionally, that wouldn't be real bad.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
Tigari
@Duffy, if you read a few posts of mine back, I said the first step should of been talking to said gatherers settlement leadership. THEN if that didn't work, go to burning. The Forever War has a great example of this. When one company placed a small holding in another groups territory, if said group would of gone to the leadership of the settlement the company belonged too, instead of just attacking said settlement assets, the forever war may have worked out differently. (Although I'm not complaining how it went/goes)

Diplomacy is great and all when those involved are actually interested in diplomacy and nuanced relationships, from my experiences so far that is far from the truth. It's one thing given the populations we have now, it's another when there are hundreds in a settlement. And again this is only part of the equation, if they add factions like they had outlined you have an untouchable griefer potential.

It's still really boring if the only mechanical conflict system choices in the game are kill them randomly or burn their house down, that seems like two pretty big extremes for the only mechanical solution to conflicts. There should be some in between options with other mechanical ramifications before it escalates to settlements fighting.
Bringslite
Duffy Swiftshadow
Tigari
@Duffy, if you read a few posts of mine back, I said the first step should of been talking to said gatherers settlement leadership. THEN if that didn't work, go to burning. The Forever War has a great example of this. When one company placed a small holding in another groups territory, if said group would of gone to the leadership of the settlement the company belonged too, instead of just attacking said settlement assets, the forever war may have worked out differently. (Although I'm not complaining how it went/goes)

Diplomacy is great and all when those involved are actually interested in diplomacy and nuanced relationships, from my experiences so far that is far from the truth. It's one thing given the populations we have now, it's another when there are hundreds in a settlement. And again this is only part of the equation, if they add factions like they had outlined you have an untouchable griefer potential.

It's still really boring if the only mechanical conflict system choices in the game are kill them randomly or burn their house down, that seems like two pretty big extremes for the only mechanical solution to conflicts. There should be some in between options with other mechanical ramifications before it escalates to settlements fighting.

Agreed, but what are the options? Contact the character's settlement or company leaders and try and get results? A trade embargo could work if there was a real economy. We are not really dependent on each other for trade, though. I think if permissions were given, with REASONABLE terms, or actual T3 trade existed (it does BTW), much of this would disappear.

I'm not a very smart guy, but lets look at an obvious scenario. Your T3 hexes are getting harvested, or worse, stripped. After about 10 instances, you get REAL lucky and see the guy doing it, or at least the guy that you assume is doing it all by himself. He gets caught and killed and made a public spectacle and example for negative behavior feedback(you hope). I'm reading this and I LOVE it! I'm not in the culprit's settlement, but I pick up right where he left off, or start doing it in tandem as he continues. Either way, he is going to be blamed again until you catch the real new culprit, by getting REAL LUCKY again.

I don't know what the solutions are that are fair and realistic, and I still don't like perfect information, but I have to wonder if there ever can be a solution that beats player ingenuity.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
In my opinion it's not necessarily about inherently stopping them or having the perfect knowledge to call them out, it's about having the tools to actively solve a problem and if you catch them, actually being able to 'punish' them for it, 'losing' by getting caught should be a failure state. If it's not then the conflict is imbalanced, and right now such a case moves on to attack a settlement because 1 person was strip mining a bit.

As some quick brainstorming: Make gear and gathering linked way more than they are right now so you need good gear to get good and fast gathering results. That then inherently ties into the the threading system. Then allow some form of criminal flagging or bounty/assassin tagging that is tied to some company (like influence) or settlement resource expenditure that allows a successful kill to have additional effects like severing threading or something, causing gear to drop or messing with something else tied to threading. Now a strip miner getting caught has a lot more risk tied to their actions but it's not necessarily any easier or cheaper for their opposite to catch them. A random non-sanctioned kill still only nets the inventory husk, but if you want to try and 'claim' or 'control' some area there are methods to invest in a hex or target to try and curb behavior you don't like. The added benefit of the gear requirement is that a random troll, low level alt, or no gear main will have an very time inefficient task if they want to really deprive someone.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Ok so first noob question…

What is this threading system I keep hearing about? Seems like it will help a lot of issues but I don't think I get what it is.

Cause this idea of making it less efficient for a low level naked alt while requiring some kinda outlet for people other than immediate settlement burning is a good idea. Just need to get a feel for how this threading thing works and how that plays into this.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Another thing I thought about, in response to the war/diplomacy thing…

So, let's say some group orders a strip mining op and it is all done with a bunch naked alts with no company. How are you even gonna contact their settlement, much less stop them?

Now let's say it's a bigger op or that a big enough group wants people to know that it is them for some dumb reason, ya got two problems:

1) Will burning their holdings actually have any effect on their ability to strip mine? As far as I can tell my guess is it ain't gonna do shit. For a group doing a coordinated op that just don't care, you can threaten their holdings all you want but they won't give a shit. Your threat, even if you follow through with it, is pointless and will probably make these guys more determined.

They only have so many holdings, while there ain't no end to the amount of strip mining they can do to you.

2) Here's a thought, what if it is one of the big boys, or a major alliance of guys that becomes bigger than the big boys? Ya'll better be forming a counter coalition or something cause if you ain't got the men to go in there to burn those holdings, you're gonna lose, you will eventually not be able to afford to lose since your production line is getting rekt.

You're just SOL at that point.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Smitty
Basic idea of threading –
Each piece of gear you wear will have a thread value..
When you die things not threaded suffer the 25% destruction and become lootable..
you pick the items on your character you want to thread but have to stay under thread value of ___.

Each tier is suppose to make that item cost more threads to keep when you die.
So while you can keep all your T1 .. you may only be able to keep half your T2 and a a quarter of your T3.. ( numbers are guesses as nothing official about the system is in the game .. but that was my basic understanding )
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Also, resurrection shrines will use threads. To retain more gear, you'll have to reduce your options for shrines. Most people will probably only get one shrine, so dying on the other side of the map will be a much larger inconvenience.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Bringslite
Well T3 harvesting could require expensive gear that just can't be threaded. Since I don't strip mine and I stay out of publically claimed territory (when I know) unless I am willing to scoff someone's laws to the point that I am perfectly willing for Settlement vs Settlement possibilities. I wouldn't be bothered by such gear requirements.

Here you might be harming T3 gatherers that get ganked in a T3 hex right next to where they live. That could turn out as a suxxor thing with much complaining.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post