Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Caldeathe Baequiannia
If so, will T3 PvP and PvE also require gear that can't be threaded?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Duffy Swiftshadow
I think it's better to do something like they already had planned where certain systems that require some form of payment allows certain kills to break the threading system. Theoretically this requires several compounding things to happen and should avoid most ganking behavior from abusing such things.
Bringslite
So far, I am feeling like the best solution is Monster hexes (all types) are Rep Free PVP zones and then some player work. The fact that pop is low and we feel like it is nearly impossible to catch someone in those hexes really isn't a reason for a system design that might(very likely) not be needed later.

Edit: and yes. Some work on "grudge" or "bounty" or "assassin" systems for those we see, but can't catch at the moment.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Tigari
Bringslite
So far, I am feeling like the best solution is Monster hexes (all types) are Rep Free PVP zones and then some player work. The fact that pop is low and we feel like it is nearly impossible to catch someone in those hexes really isn't a reason for a system design that might(very likely) not be needed later.

+100
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I agree with Bringslite. Wilderness hexes are intended to be fought over and controlled. Broken lands and monster hexes are deliberately intended to be uncontrolled. Nothing should ever give players any control over those hexes except for patrolling them. Not defeating an escalation, and not placing some building in the hex. If their remoteness and wildness makes them PvP free, that makes some sense. Although I'm not sure there should be anywhere where you can kill people at random without any repercussions, I'd be willing to see how it plays out for a while.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Duffy Swiftshadow
Making them rep free does not matter in the least. As one of the few groups possibly hunting and fighting in those hexes I can tell you we don't give a damn about the rep, it's a complete non-issue as the teeth on the penalty are far from scary or limiting.

So how exactly does rep free solve anything?

Bringslite
The fact that pop is low and we feel like it is nearly impossible to catch someone in those hexes really isn't a reason for a system design that might(very likely) not be needed later.

Possible, but if it's not a problem in the future why is it not a problem in the future? What will change to make it a non-issue and will that change result in something else undesirable not happening?
Bringslite
Duffy Swiftshadow
Making them rep free does not matter in the least. As one of the few groups possibly hunting and fighting in those hexes I can tell you we don't give a damn about the rep, it's a complete non-issue as the teeth on the penalty are far from scary or limiting.

So how exactly does rep free solve anything?

Bringslite
The fact that pop is low and we feel like it is nearly impossible to catch someone in those hexes really isn't a reason for a system design that might(very likely) not be needed later.

Possible, but if it's not a problem in the future why is it not a problem in the future? What will change to make it a non-issue and will that change result in something else undesirable not happening?

I am hard pressed to think of something that will work(let alone be feasible this decade) that is fair across the board and doesn't pretty much point to someone owning a T3 hex. One of the things that I keep hearing is that T3 hexes are not being used to capacity in the first place. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Other approaches might help mitigate part of these "poachers". Maybe things like trading with the stuff you have, for the stuff you don't. Maybe letting these gatherers harvest without worry and taking a cut they are willing to pay? If you just absolutely do not trust ANYONE to be honest, ask for a straight fee up front for a period of usage time. If none of this is secure enough, hire some ruffians to watch those hexes.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
A finale point for now. The "victims" do not care a bit about rep loss for going after the "criminals" that are poaching. The "criminals" don't seem to care much about getting caught every so often, either. (not sure there is enough evidence to back up that 2nd remark)

Nothing will be satisfying until it is mechanically impossible for certain players to harvest in a hex. That would be a real shame and a cheap(as in crappy) way to run a sandbox.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite
Other approaches might help mitigate part of these "poachers". Maybe things like trading with the stuff you have, for the stuff you don't. Maybe letting these gatherers harvest without worry and taking a cut they are willing to pay? If you just absolutely do not trust ANYONE to be honest, ask for a straight fee up front for a period of usage time. If none of this is secure enough, hire some ruffians to watch those hexes.

We're already doing all of that. Maybe something that's not coming across from my statements, we have no emotional tie ups or inclination that the things we claim are ours. All our rules and claim stuff is all part of our RP and how we wish to conduct ourselves and for others to know what to expect from us. That is all completely unrelated to this discussion, this is not about politics or trying to get something I feel I am being denied. I don't care about that. I care about having a well rounded and fun game, I comment on stuff like this when I think there is a deficiency in the mechanics and to point out things like how limiting our options for resolving conflict really are.

I am not angry about anything currently going on in game, you would be hard pressed to find something that would make me so. The game is more or less working as it can right now, but that doesn't mean there aren't potential problems or that it's perfect as is. If we can now is the time to catch some of these things, that's part of the reason for an Alpha/Beta/EE stage in the first place.

Edit: I outlined a system in one of my past posts that would add additional teeth to catching 'poachers' that uses a company level resource without hard locking down hexes and that was a quick off the cuff idea. Things can be done, they don't have to be super restrictive, but they should follow some of the ideals of the game.
Edam
The issue is its very easy for a batch of naked alts to mine a hex and either deliberately not collect anything that drops or trash it. This depletes the hex while making killing the character pointless.

There are a number of mechanical changes that will mitigate strip mining without "owning T3 hexes".

• delayed node respawn to reduce the effectiveness of placing multiple alts in same hex, the respawn time could be tied to degradation level with it being instant in a fresh hex and up to half an hour or more in a depleted hex
  • open PvP once any mat degrades below optimal (exploitable as PvP types may just keep the hex below optimal deliberately)
  • uncollected or trashed mats just go back into the hex pool
  • as nodes degrade the number of mats per pull drops, not just the quality of the mat

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post