Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Caldeathe Baequiannia
Duffy Swiftshadow
I outlined a system in one of my past posts that would add additional teeth to catching 'poachers'
The term Poaching implies that you think something belongs to you. I know I've never harvested in a hex where you have a holding. Are you seeing a lot of people depleting hexes where you have holdings?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Duffy Swiftshadow
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Duffy Swiftshadow
I outlined a system in one of my past posts that would add additional teeth to catching 'poachers'
The term Poaching implies that you think something belongs to you. I know I've never harvested in a hex where you have a holding. Are you seeing a lot of people depleting hexes where you have holdings?

What I outlined would work regardless of direct holding control, holding control of a hex could maybe make it 'free' since someone already invested the influence. More systems to interact with players that promote and more importantly can resolve conflict is better. We've spent several pages establishing how worthless killing a gatherer randomly is, actually I believe you've made that point several times yourself in the past no less.

The ability to gather resources anywhere without any actual repercussions or risk besides burning down someone's settlement and holdings (regardless of territory mechanics) or losing a tiny portion of the possible resources out there is pretty poor. Or do you think that's how we should resolve any such conflicts whatsoever?
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Y'all gonna make this political? Really?

This is a problem of game mechanics that don't force people to care. This aint the only part of this game that has that problem, as im finding that it shows up in other areas too. Someone or a group of someones can act like a big bag of dicks and totally get away with it. No amount of open PvP (as much as I'd love monster hexes to be open pvp), politicking or burning down holdings/settlements/genocidal rampages will have any effect. They won't stop these kinds of folks from continuing to be big bags of dicks and won't stop their ability to keep doing it.

There have been some good ideas tossed out, some that I think go completely overboard though so yeah that ain't good. Then there seems to be some that think either it is a low priority thing of "if its not broke don't fix it".

Well, its broken, and not just with this part of the game either. It needs to be fixed. Give both sides the ability to make the other care, otherwise if one side or the other does not, then that side will have a huge advantage. If your foe don't give a shit and has nothing to lose what can you do?
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Everything's about politics. The game is incomplete, and has a small population base. People want special mechanics injected so that they can control more space with less effort. If the game succeeds, it will be with thousands of people, and there will no longer be hex-after-hex with no-one in it. If it doesn't get to that state, it won't be a successful game. Mechanics to allow people to exert authority over wild areas with no human effort are incompatible with a sandbox.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Tigari
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Everything's about politics. The game is incomplete, and has a small population base. People want special mechanics injected so that they can control more space with less effort. If the game succeeds, it will be with thousands of people, and there will no longer be hex-after-hex with no-one in it. If it doesn't get to that state, it won't be a successful game. Mechanics to allow people to exert authority over wild areas with no human effort are incompatible with a sandbox.

COME on Gw..get us a Like button already!
Edam
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Mechanics to allow people to exert authority over wild areas with no human effort are incompatible with a sandbox.

EVE Sov ...

What is Sovereignty?

Sovereignty, put simply, is official control of a system, recognized by the EVE client. In in-universe terms, non-Empire alliances use Territorial Claim Units to assert their control over systems not claimed by any major faction, and can continue to control such systems as long as no one acts to stop them. Along with making the system owners' POS structures use 25% less fuel, sovereignty allows an alliance to publicly declare its ownership of a system, to construct outposts, and to install powerful upgrades in the Infrastructure Hub. These upgrades can cause a system to become a better source of income, give the alliance new options for defense, and even allow the construction of mighty supercapital ships.

HOWEVER, I do not agree with giving groups gathering control over hexes. There are other mecahanics that solve the problem more efficiently.
Bringslite
If the resource levels are left where they are and the map is not expanded and the pop rises to 5000 relatively active players, there would be constant fighting in T3 hexes within 6 months of the large influx of new players. Probably MUCH sooner.

Edit: as long as I have a few friends, I think that would be really fun.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Decius
Constant fighting over and for T3 resources is one of the most effective ways to have lots of meaningful PvP.

At the moment the problem is that it's not likely that a strip-miner will be in hex at the same time as someone who wants to stop it.
Thod-Theodum
@Bringslide
Maybe someone just needs to strip your crater to show how simple it is. I would bet you wouldn't even notice until it has happened. And yes - blame me if this now happens to you. The person(s) having fun doing this are likely to follow this thread with interest and I just took away the main defence currently for your crater - being out of the way and nobody caring.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Thod-Theodum
As a side note: it seems 60 degraded Adamantine Ore appeared on the EL auction house. Let it be known that EL doesn't buy degraded quality materials if there is suspicion of strip mining.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post