Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Bringslite
Thod-Theodum
@Bringslide
Maybe someone just needs to strip your crater to show how simple it is. I would bet you wouldn't even notice until it has happened. And yes - blame me if this now happens to you. The person(s) having fun doing this are likely to follow this thread with interest and I just took away the main defence currently for your crater - being out of the way and nobody caring.

What got your goat Thod? The T3 hexes near us have been stripped before and they will be again, I'm sure. Does it upset you for some reason that someone might find fun in some PVP over some resources even if it isn't a settlement level threat?

So, spill it. What's up?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Thod-Theodum
As a side note: it seems 60 degraded Adamantine Ore appeared on the EL auction house. Let it be known that EL doesn't buy degraded quality materials if there is suspicion of strip mining.
There aren't a lot of ways to get 60 degraded anything without strip mining, so I'm not sure "suspicion" is a relevant term. If you ever buy degraded ore, you are supporting strip mining
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
arty155jln
Edam
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Mechanics to allow people to exert authority over wild areas with no human effort are incompatible with a sandbox.

EVE Sov ...

What is Sovereignty?

Sovereignty, put simply, is official control of a system, recognized by the EVE client. In in-universe terms, non-Empire alliances use Territorial Claim Units to assert their control over systems not claimed by any major faction, and can continue to control such systems as long as no one acts to stop them. Along with making the system owners' POS structures use 25% less fuel, sovereignty allows an alliance to publicly declare its ownership of a system, to construct outposts, and to install powerful upgrades in the Infrastructure Hub. These upgrades can cause a system to become a better source of income, give the alliance new options for defense, and even allow the construction of mighty supercapital ships.

HOWEVER, I do not agree with giving groups gathering control over hexes. There are other mecahanics that solve the problem more efficiently.
That's a good vanilla look at EvE's sov mechanic; but what you didn't mention is an enemy player could still put up their own POS inside an already owned system. While the enemy can place a POS, how long it stays is up to the owning Corp/Alliance and how fast they are at attacking said enemy POS.

To me the obvious answer is to use the current mechanics in a different way. Resource gathering in hexes are for the independent gatherers crafters. Companies that need to supply goods to members should have a mechanic like holdings/outposts that can be daily fought over that provide T1-T3 resources (NOT BULK GOODS). Then the political fight is taken every day to the owning companies/settlements by either destroying or not allowing this 3rd type of building to produce goods. This leaves strip mining a minor annoyance for large companies, but it also allows new players to go out and gather goods too.

We shouldn't be trying to come up with new ideas, instead incorporate ideas from previous games that have a proven track record. In this case Mine Fights from Shadowbane. Every day there is a 2 hour window that the owning company/settlement sets for all of its 3rd building types. When that window is open, similar to the current outpost/holding window, then these mine/harvesting buildings can be attacked. The mechanic could be that if it's attacked and taken down that the building doesn't harvest for 22 hours. Or it could be that when fought over, the building could be captured by another company/settlement. The number of hexes away from the owning settlement would decrease the efficiency of the mine/harvesting building; for example within 4 hexes no penalty, but between 5-10 hexes you get 75% efficiency, between 11-20 hexes away you get 50% efficiency, and anything over 21 hexes you only get 25% efficiency. This encourages settlements to stay close to home to get higher volume of goods, but still allows a settlement in need of a specific good to go out and fight for that good.

Let's say they go the route that these mine/harvesting buildings are taken over by the winner of the 2 hour window. The mechanic would be that if no one attacks your buildings, they provide T1-T3 materials for the next 22 hours, and those goods are automatically placed into the Company Secure vault (this allows non-settlement owning companies the ability to fight over the buildings). If a building is attacked, and taken down, then another company/settlement uses a mechanic to claim the building, and this claim can change hands until the 2 hour window closes; where the last company/settlement to have the claim wins that building until the next open window for PvP. Once a building is won, then the owner can choose from a few different resources they would like to receive. Maybe the choice is between, pelts, logs and 1 type of essence. Maybe the choice is ore, chemicals or pelts. This would be the job of GW/PFO to come up with what buildings allow what types. T1 materials are full value, while T2 are lower, while T3 are lowest. These buildings are not placed by players, but are set by GW/PFO in 3/6 of the hexes around each monster hex (maybe even in only 2/6 of the hexes around monster hexes).

If you don't think that allowing T1-T3 resources to be fought over is a good idea, then tweak the crafting recipes and for T3 gear make new materials that can only be acquired through the fought over mine/harvesting buildings.
arty155jln
As for the actual OP about strip mining being a problem. It's not a problem if you are the first one in the hex. Hexes can't really be controlled in this game, so I often wonder why people get so bothered by these ethereal boundaries.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
arty155jln
[some good and interesting stuff]
Or, we could just leave the monster and broken hexes exactly as they are, and people who don't want other people doing stuff in them can put out the effort to stop it. Not wanting someone to do something (perfectly valid and part of the game) in the middle of nowhere is not a good reason for being able to actually stop them.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I don't even like the degradation. I'd rather see an initial roll based on the state of the hex (not modified by your skill or equipment). If the hex is full, almost every time you hit a node you get something. At 50% consumed, half of the nodes have nothing in them and you get a "node is played out" message, but the node still vanishs when you harvest so you have to move again. At 90% consumed, you have to harvest nine empty nodes to find one with something in it. It doesn't favor higher skill, and it makes stripping the hex completely several times harder than it is now*, without giving anyone some sort of rights they shouldn't really have.

* (The stuff you currently get from the last 10 nodes would be no heavier than the first ten, but you'd have to go through 90 played-out nodes to get it.)
LoneWolf
Caldeathe Baequiannia
arty155jln
…people who don't want other people doing stuff in them can put out the effort to stop it…

+1

It is a sandbox game.
arty155jln
Caldeathe Baequiannia
arty155jln
Or, we could just leave the monster and broken hexes exactly as they are, and people who don't want other people doing stuff in them can put out the effort to stop it. Not wanting someone to do something (perfectly valid and part of the game) in the middle of nowhere is not a good reason for being able to actually stop them.
+1
Bringslite
Two completely different systems, if I am reading all of this right.

@ arty155jln
You are talking about fixed buildings placed by larger co operative groups that generate hex local crafting materials into a bin during their cycle and the company? in possession is the one that gets to empty the bin after a PVP window? At all other times, the hex is open to being craft mat gathered by anyone? Would that mean, in general, more raw crafting mats in the hex?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
arty155jln
Bringslite
Two completely different systems, if I am reading all of this right.

@ arty155jln
You are talking about fixed buildings placed by larger co operative groups that generate hex local crafting materials into a bin during their cycle and the company? in possession is the one that gets to empty the bin after a PVP window? At all other times, the hex is open to being craft mat gathered by anyone? Would that mean, in general, more raw crafting mats in the hex?
Yes, I am talking about adding a new system. Here's how the mechanic worked in Shadowbane; you fought over a mine, during a 2 hour window. After that 2 hour window closed, you reaped the benefits of winning that mini-PvP fight. The spoils of war were materials of your choosing, based on the type of mine you fought over. Related to PFO, after the mine/harvester fight was over and a material was chosen, then those materials would automatically show up in the Company Secure vault over the next 22 hours. The risk was the PvP, gear degradation; while the reward are materials for winning a PvP fight.

*EDIT* - get rid of the need to transport BULK GOODS. It's not a fun mechanic, and it brings nothing to the game. Allow holdings to just automatically put those goods into the company secure vault at their settlement as well. It's my opinion that the bulk goods are not highly profitable and noteworthy for player bandits to strike at.*/EDIT*

Let's use Freevale as a settlement in this example; if there were a mine/harvester building within 4 hexes from Freevale, maybe that building gave the options of wool, logs, T1 essences. The company within Freevale that had captured the mine/harvester through a new capture mechanic (simple spell on the building), would then get to choose which material they wanted to have deposited into their Company Secure vault; wool, logs or essence. Other mine/harvester buildings would give different option pairings; i.e. coal/iron/silver; coal/iron/gold; coal/loadstone/copper. The pairing options would be somewhat based on what already exists in those empty hexes, but would be hard coded by GW/PFO.

What this really allows is for PvPers to have access to materials without having to actually go out and gather. The rate would have to be tested, so maybe start out with 10 free wool an hour, or 220 wool total. It doesn't break anything that a gatherer could do, but it would go a long way in helping give more incentives for group PvP.

The buildings themselves are static buildings, set in place by the devs, and never moved. Ownership of the buildings is what changes hands, hopefully on a daily basis but could be every 2-3 days depending on how fights end up. So yes it would eventually put more materials into the game than straight gathering; but as I see it the true gate for gear will be how much time it takes to craft the gear.

I will throw this idea out there as well, to show how the idea can be used. It could be possible that these mine/harvester buildings (about 4 of them map wide) would have a material that automatically gives a +1 to any item crafted. The rate for this material could be at 1 mat every 5 hours; so they are only getting 4 +1 materials a day. Not too overpowered, but decent enough for a PvP group to be willing to fight over those buildings. Maybe it's just 1 building close to the spire, and it's the big daily PvP draw for the game. Lots of options.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post