Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Decius
Right now depleting a hex completely reduces the regeneration to 1/33 of maximum rate, and 1/25 of the minimum typical managed rate (3% chance of regaining 1%, as opposed to 99% chance at the maximum rate or 75% at the typical management breakpoint).

How would this entire discussion differ if those numbers were tweaked a lot, without changing any of the basic mechanics? If the minimum was higher (30%? 70%?) What if the rate of decrease was different than 1-for-1 (so that the regeneration rate was reduced by e.g. half as much, resulting in a final rate of 50-100?)
Takasi
There are two sets of somewhat mutually exclusive suggestions here:

1.) Mitigate the impact of strip mining (increase resources across the board, hex recovery during fallow or escalation windows, deceleration of harvesting ability over time, segregated quality windows, etc)

2.) Improve methods to provide conflict due to strip mining (monitor logs, guard activity, hex control rewards, gatherer punishment tools, etc)
Thod-Theodum
@Decius
Is the 3% somewhere documented? I assumed 1% but that is from memory from a related thread nearly a year ago.

I will summarise ideas, possible outcomes, etc if I have some time.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
How would this entire discussion differ if those numbers were tweaked a lot, without changing any of the basic mechanics? If the minimum was higher (30%? 70%?) What if the rate of decrease was different than 1-for-1 (so that the regeneration rate was reduced by e.g. half as much, resulting in a final rate of 50-100?)
A minimum recover rate of 30% would all-but-eliminate conflict since any T3 hex would recover to full in less than a day.

It should be possible to create inconvenience by resource-stripping. It should apparently be much harder than it is now. That is pretty easily accommodated by almost anything that makes it more difficult to empty a hex, without giving players control of any kind over monster hexes.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
A minimum recover rate of 30% would all-but-eliminate conflict since any T3 hex would recover to full in less than a day.

It should be possible to create inconvenience by resource-stripping. It should apparently be much harder than it is now. That is pretty easily accommodated by almost anything that makes it more difficult to empty a hex, without giving players control of any kind over monster hexes.
If a strip-mining cartel has to hit a hex twice a day to keep it depleted, I'd say that is about right for a full population.
Thod-Theodum
@Cal

Your understanding of the Maths is wrong. 92 * 0.3 * 1 = 27.6

An empty hex would recover 92 times per day (every 15 minutes once assuming 23 hours) with a chance of 30% (0.3) by 1%. This results in a recovery from 0% to 27.6%.

My assumption (which might be wrong_ is that you have a 1% base rate. This means it takes on average 200 cycles (2.2 days) to reach 2% - from that point onwards it would grow by a factor of 2.5.

If Decius data is right then there is a base chance of 3%. This means it would take 100 cycles on average to get to 3% (1.1 days) and from that point onwards it would grow by a factor of 2.5 fold.

Actually - in general it will take a little bit over 1 day to reach the base level and will increase 2.5 fold from there.

This means:

1% base level = 99% reduction in productivity during first day, 6 days until full recovery
3% base level = 97% reduction in productivity during first day, 5 days until full recovery
5% base level = 95% reduction in productivity during first day, 4.4 days until full recovery
10% base level = 90% reduction in productivity during first day, 3.6 days until full recovery
30% base level = 70% reduction in productivity during first day, 2.4 days until full recovery

The problem with the very low rates is that they can be disrupted very early. 30% definitely is too high in my mind as it moves the chance away from a strip miner. 1% and likely 3% on the other hand seems too low for me.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Edam
Increasing recovery rates increases available resources. That may not be desirable.

Increasing the difficulty to gather in a depleted hex (slower node respawn etc) will make strip mining less effective without increasing resources.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I suggested increasing "failure-nodes" rather than slowing nodes, because there is solid research, related to gambling, showing that an inconsistent payoff is more enticing and attention holding than a constant payoff. A gatherer who doesn't know which node will have something in it will keep hitting, telling them-self "Just 'til I get one more successful hit", while a person who wanders around for a long period of time without finding anything to do is more likely to abandon it for the day.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
tribuzio
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I suggested increasing "failure-nodes" rather than slowing nodes, because there is solid research, related to gambling, showing that an inconsistent payoff is more enticing and attention holding than a constant payoff. A gatherer who doesn't know which node will have something in it will keep hitting, telling them-self "Just 'til I get one more successful hit", while a person who wanders around for a long period of time without finding anything to do is more likely to abandon it for the day.

That work for compulsive gamblers. Other people instead get annoyed.
Bringslite
The increasing chance of "You find nothing here" seems like the best to me. It wouldn't do much good without maybe an indicator that someone is "in hex" and harvesting or doing PVE. I suppose it adds to the nervousness of anyone that (for whatever reason) doesn't want the odd chance of being seen there, increased.

Some of the other ideas about claims, structures, etc… might be used to allow people to see markers. As long as there is a cost, they can be fought over, and captured or destroyed/replaced.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post