Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Edam
The point in slowing down the respawn rate is to reduce the effectiveness of strip mining which basically involves standing 6 or 8 gatherers around the hex positioned so that when one gathers a node it pops up immediately right next to one of the others.

A few minutes respawn delay is not going to be noticeable by a single gatherer but will seriously hamper strip mining.
Bringslite
Edam
The point in slowing down the respawn rate is to reduce the effectiveness of strip mining which basically involves standing 6 or 8 gatherers around the hex positioned so that when one gathers a node it pops up immediately right next to one of the others.

A few minutes respawn delay is not going to be noticeable by a single gatherer but will seriously hamper strip mining.

Is that the common practice now? I had no idea so many were involved in it. That seems like organized effort. Not much reason for peaceful diplomacy to get it stopped if there are 6 or 8 from a settlement or three doing it. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
Bringslite
Edam

Is that the common practice now? I had no idea so many were involved in it. That seems like organized effort. Not much reason for peaceful diplomacy to get it stopped if there are 6 or 8 from a settlement or three doing it. smile

No idea how common it is but we have tested it and it does work extremely well. It is clearly an exploit of the node respawn system.

The fact the alt gatherers need to barely move makes it very conducive to single player gold farming using multiboxed alt accounts. Whilst this is not an issue now it could become a huge one in the future, which for me is enough to want to see it hampered by slower node respawns.
tribuzio
Edam

If we are already at that point with the current population and no active wars I think that the whole system need to be rethought, not simply tweaked. But maybe it is only theory craft.
I haven't seen traces of that behavior, so the question is you have seen or taken part in that? Or it is only hearsay?
Edit:
Edam
No idea how common it is but we have tested it and it does work extremely well. It is clearly an exploit of the node respawn system.

The fact the alt gatherers need to barely move makes it very conducive to single player gold farming using multiboxed alt accounts. Whilst this is not an issue now it could become a huge one in the future, which for me is enough to want to see it hampered by slower node respawns.

Tested theory craft, then.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I suggested increasing "failure-nodes" rather than slowing nodes, because there is solid research, related to gambling, showing that an inconsistent payoff is more enticing and attention holding than a constant payoff. A gatherer who doesn't know which node will have something in it will keep hitting, telling them-self "Just 'til I get one more successful hit", while a person who wanders around for a long period of time without finding anything to do is more likely to abandon it for the day.

That work for compulsive gamblers. Other people instead get annoyed.
Interesting. Who's purchasing all those lottery tickets, then? Only compulsive gamblers? Do you think if they gave 68 cents back for every dollar ticket sold, instead of infrequent larger prizes, more people would buy lottery tickets?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Tigari
Edam
Bringslite
Edam

No idea how common it is but we have tested it and it does work extremely well. It is clearly an exploit of the node respawn system

Bolded the part to reference, but this is NOT an exploit in any way or form, If anything, its well organized (no matter how little effort it takes). Yes, I think it needs to be changed. It is way to easy to strip mine a hex and KEEP it strip mined. Calling legit strategies for current mechanics should NEVER be called exploits.
Bringslite
Just wrote much cool stuff and deleted. The simplest solutions are often the best solutions. All of GW and particularly Bob Settles is on record several times saying that there is NO desire for this game to force us to do incredibly boring things to safeguard what should be considered "player claimed areas".

Monster hexes, I hope, don't fall into that category.

Any solution that is not Deus Ex Machina will be a difficult project. It should wait until NewCorp or new funding becomes available to tackle it properly.

For now, if you feel you need to keep "your" hexes from being punked:
Harvest them.
Patrol them.
Hire companies to patrol them.
Contract out gathering. They have eyes to report what they see.
Open them to free PVP.

Do anything that gets more people in those hexes, more often.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
As for any real disparity or perceived virtual invulnerability for gatherers that some are starting to feel is a problem, I urge you to consider a few things.

*Gatherers can only be rank 8 or so if they are not in a settlement.
*That attachment comes with a responsibility (in most cases) to not drag their home into a war.
*We are supposed to have conflicts. How we deal with and resolve them is left to us, but sandboxes need some kind of conflict to drive story.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
Tigari
Bolded the part to reference, but this is NOT an exploit in any way or form, If anything, its well organized (no matter how little effort it takes). Yes, I think it needs to be changed. It is way to easy to strip mine a hex and KEEP it strip mined. Calling legit strategies for current mechanics should NEVER be called exploits.

Fair enough.

Anyway slower node re-spawns and potentially just blocking nodes from re-spawning within sight/mini-map of any player character will reduce the effectiveness of any such "well organized efforts" (with the side benefit of increasing immersion).
Thod-Theodum
Some posts earlier I said that the current system isn't mathematically stable as there is a critical point at which a chain reaction happens and the strip mining speeds up itself.

Start of January:
The crater between Hope's End and EL gets strip mined - it only recovers once for a very short time - 4-5 weeks later and it still produces hardly anything
1st of February: Duffy writes that the second crater in AL territory has been strip mines as well.
5th February: A third crater (at least) has been strip mined - South of Kreuz Bernstein and no longer in AL territory
I harvested meteoric Iron in this hex myself on the 31st of January and it was on 100% - I left it on 70% and it should have recovered in 8 hours.
Today I entered it and it was on approx. 10% Adamantine, 2% Meteoric Iron and 10% Iron.

There are 9 craters in total on the map - lets see if this spreads further. It isn't the end of the world - you can get meteoric iron from nearby hexes and there are huge stockpiles around. But I'm not sure what it will do to the Adamantine stocks / the ability to gather Adamantine in one week from today (I likely should have written after the weekend instead … ).
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post