Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Seraph
Yeah, I agree with those saying that this regrowth chance isn't really a good solution. There are good solutions to the problem of how easy it is to keep a hex strip mined for a long period of time, though.

Higher total resources will help so it's not a 5 minute job. Some sort of warning system that a hex in your territory is below a certain percent and is being gathered in, much like the alerts when one of your holdings comes under attack, maybe.

It should remain possible to keep a hex strip mined, but it shouldn't be a five minute job that you can do with no chance of getting caught. This is almost exactly the same problem we've had with people sneaking in and killing escalation bosses – there's simply no way to keep a hex monitored all the time without having a huge population that's on around the clock. The notable difference is that with escalation bosses you can always kill it first and get the loot, whereas with strip mining the equivalent would be self destructive.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Edam
Seraph
Yeah, I agree with those saying that this regrowth chance isn't really a good solution. There are good solutions to the problem of how easy it is to keep a hex strip mined for a long period of time, though.

Higher total resources will help so it's not a 5 minute job. Some sort of warning system that a hex in your territory is below a certain percent and is being gathered in, much like the alerts when one of your holdings comes under attack, maybe.

It should remain possible to keep a hex strip mined, but it shouldn't be a five minute job that you can do with no chance of getting caught. This is almost exactly the same problem we've had with people sneaking in and killing escalation bosses – there's simply no way to keep a hex monitored all the time without having a huge population that's on around the clock. The notable difference is that with escalation bosses you can always kill it first and get the loot, whereas with strip mining the equivalent would be self destructive.

Yep … if ninja strip mining as a form of economic warfare ever becomes a thing it will be very hard to combat with the current game mechanics.

Warning systems will help.

A game mechanic that restricted gathering below a certain quality to the company owning the holding in the hex would solve some of the issues but could potentially open up a whole heap of other undesirable consequences.
Midnight
Edam
Seraph

Yep … if ninja strip mining as a form of economic warfare ever becomes a thing it will be very hard to combat with the current game mechanics.

Warning systems will help.

A game mechanic that restricted gathering below a certain quality to the company owning the holding in the hex would solve some of the issues but could potentially open up a whole heap of other undesirable consequences.

And companies can't own escalation hexes, right? So T3 strip mining would still be something that can't be battled in an effective manner?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Thod-Theodum
I heard the culprits strip mining the crater hex I mentioned have been caught red handed. Maybe they can tell a little bit more how much (or little) effort it took them. Apparently the hex grew back once in the four weeks to good quality (took one week of not harvesting from the Aeonien League which is in line with my numbers) but got back straight away.
There isn't a simple solution right now as I think the overall amount of resources is about right. And I just came back from another woodland hex that frustrated me to figure out how much is in it. 1500+ resources is where it becomes tiresome and painful for a single harvester. A short break for dinner and you lose too much.
In the end I collected 620 resources top quality - if my numbers for a crater are right then this would have killed it in a single go - but importantly would be how much effort it is too keep it that way (and apparently the strip mining was done by a group of 3 - speeding up the process).

Don't get me wrong - I don't want to prevent strip mining completely. It is a valid way to fight a war. But a single hour of gathering by a high level gatherer and after that 10-15 minutes every other day shouldn't be sufficient to do strip mining.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Midnight
I'm really beginning to doubt the wisdom of having various quality levels and penalizing "over"harvesting.

Is this really adding FUN?

So much of what we do (especially when escalations spread again) is like chores, that I'm not sure the stripmining aspect of the game isn't just another source of tedium for those wishing to prevent it.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
Thing is strip mining with multiple gather alts would be really simple if you had a couple of PCS available to you.

Just log in at a time when the hex is unguarded and position 6 gatherers at the 6 corners of the hex about half way in. Every time one of your alts gathers a node the node will reappear close to one of the six. Minimal moving about necessary. Just trash what you gather.

How to combat this? Well one obvious solution is have the nodes reappear after a cooldown of several minutes instead of instantly.
Decius
Edam
Thing is strip mining with multiple gather alts would be really simple if you had a couple of PCS available to you.

Just log in at a time when the hex is unguarded and position 6 gatherers at the 6 corners of the hex about half way in. Every time one of your alts gathers a node the node will reappear close to one of the six. Minimal moving about necessary. Just trash what you gather.

How to combat this? Well one obvious solution is have the nodes reappear after a cooldown of several minutes instead of instantly.

A better way to combat a group of six harvesting would be logout timers and watchtowers that provide information about player positions.
Takasi
For wilderness hexes I'd like gathering to be limited to pvp windows set by holding owners. I think unclaimed, shield and badlands hexes should be free to strip at all times.

For T3 hexes I'd like to see something that ties gathering to escalation activity. Limit harvesting to fallow times. If not then tie node appearances to strength score. If the strength doesn't drop then nodes could stop appearing. Maybe they could also limit the number of nodes available until the strength drops again.

Either way please funnel the available harvesting timeframes to make gathering a bit more competitive and social and give us ways to control (and compete over control) of those timeframes.

Or just up the resource values and no one will care anymore about strip mining.

Guarding hexes to look for strippers and tanking our rep is not worth it especially if the gatherer doesn't care and shows up with no gear. If someone (a gatherer or his friends) has to be in hex working an escalation in order for gathering to happen in that hex then at least there is always gear on the line.
Quijenoth
Some might not like the idea of this but what about rep hits in controlled hexes. Harvest once you get the first hit warning, if you harvest again within a specified cooldown you take the rep hit. during PVP windows no rep is taken for controlled hexes which means you know have a timeframe to police your hexes (a warning that someone not of your settlement is gathering in a hex may also be worth adding).

Obviously doesn't affect T3 but would certainly change the makeup of peoples gathering patterns in general.

My view on T3 is leave as is. until we have the population for it we only have speculation vs personal experience. T3 is early days still and those that hit it first had the luxury of harvesting what they want when they want. as more people start reaching T3 you will likely find more hexes depleted, its generally a knee-jerk reaction to cry foul.
Smitty
The only hexes I think people are worried about are escalation hexes . I think that is a fair assumption for this discussion in regard to strip mining.. Because with T2 resources there is always another hex to get ____ from..
With that in mind.. limiting gathering in controlled hexes doesn’t really make sense since you can’t control T3 escalation hexes.. Some groups have claimed .. no gathering on this area of the map.. but in game mechanics , no one owns that hex ( and that is a good thing and I hope it doesn’t change..)
I still think the best practice is to make escalation hexes.. rep free open PvP..
I don’t think you should take rep hits for protecting an area you are publically declaring as yours, but I don’t think the game mechanics should keep a person from ignoring your claim. If you want to spend your game time patrolling escalation hexes for poachers that feels like game behavior that is within the spirit of the game.. when you find them you shouldn’t be penalized for enforcing your claim.. but I don’t want a system that tells that person gathering you can no longer do that because the game mechanics will not allow you it.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post