Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Bringslite
Edam
Tigari
Bolded the part to reference, but this is NOT an exploit in any way or form, If anything, its well organized (no matter how little effort it takes). Yes, I think it needs to be changed. It is way to easy to strip mine a hex and KEEP it strip mined. Calling legit strategies for current mechanics should NEVER be called exploits.

Fair enough.

Anyway slower node re-spawns and potentially just blocking nodes from re-spawning within sight/mini-map of any player character will reduce the effectiveness of any such "well organized efforts" (with the side benefit of increasing immersion).

Sure. Slow down the respawns of the nodes. That will make it take longer and help if these are 6 to 8 man teams. Whatever works to lengthen the time to strip the hex. Make that significant (time wise) and more effort from those that are being annoyed by it and maybe 95% will stop.

How about someone that wants it stopped give us a daily status for stripped hexes and offer a reward to spot the miscreants and report them? Get LOTS of eyes in the hexes.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Bringslite
How about someone that wants it stopped give us a daily status for stripped hexes and offer a reward to spot the miscreants and report them? Get LOTS of eyes in the hexes.
I'd be happy to monitor the crater hexes near the A.L. for ore miners as part of an agreement to let me harvest essences appropriately. smile
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Bringslite
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Bringslite
I'd be happy to monitor the crater hexes near the A.L. for ore miners as part of an agreement to let me harvest essences appropriately. smile

It is better that they ALL sit full and untouched until a gatherer from the claimant's political body comes to harvest at their convenience, silly Cal! smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
tribuzio
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I suggested increasing "failure-nodes" rather than slowing nodes, because there is solid research, related to gambling, showing that an inconsistent payoff is more enticing and attention holding than a constant payoff. A gatherer who doesn't know which node will have something in it will keep hitting, telling them-self "Just 'til I get one more successful hit", while a person who wanders around for a long period of time without finding anything to do is more likely to abandon it for the day.

That work for compulsive gamblers. Other people instead get annoyed.
Interesting. Who's purchasing all those lottery tickets, then? Only compulsive gamblers? Do you think if they gave 68 cents back for every dollar ticket sold, instead of infrequent larger prizes, more people would buy lottery tickets?

How would you call people that ruin themselves buying lottery tickets?
Yes, most people buy one or two every year, to give luck a chance. But when they continuously buy tickets it is called gambling addiction.

Our situation has nothing to do with your example about gambling. People will not be gambling for the big payoff. they would be gathering for a steady stream of resources.
Oh, we will adapt, doing our math and calculating our hourly return from gathering, but very few will do that for the "big win". Especially as the big win will be a few resources that we will already know that we will get once every x pull on the average.
It will change simply how much we get, not entice us.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
Yes, most people buy one or two every year, to give luck a chance. But when they continuously buy tickets it is called gambling addiction.

Our situation has nothing to do with your example about gambling. People will not be gambling for the big payoff. they would be gathering for a steady stream of resources.
Oh, we will adapt, doing our math and calculating our hourly return from gathering,but very few will do that for the "big win". Especially as the big win will be a few resources that we will already know that we will get once every x pull on the average.
it will change simply how much we get, not entice us.
I would call problem gamblers a bit like gamers who spend way more on their game than they can afford to. Like the young man who recently spent over $10,000 on extras for an X-box game. Discussing outliers at either end of the spectrum is counter-productive. In general, the vast majority of people who buy lottery tickets do so for the chance at a larger return, the tiny release of adrenaline. If each ticket provided exactly the same payout, which would have to be a percentage of the investment, no-one would buy them. That is exactly why nodes do not give a fixed rate per hit. If every level one harvester got 1 unit, and every level 10 harvester got 10 units from every node, then nobody except dedicated harvesters would bother. That is also why gusher's are planned, wherein harvester's will ahve a very tiny chance of getting a much larger return from their harvest. Harvesting (and PvE with it's rare drops of high level recipes), are far more like lotteries than you think.
tribuzio
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio

Oh, we will adapt, doing our math and calculating our hourly return from gathering,but very few will do that for the "big win". Especially as the big win will be a few resources that we will already know that we will get once every x pull on the average.
I would call problem gamblers a bit like gamers who spend way more on their game than they can afford to. Like the young man who recently spent over $10,000 on extras for an X-box game. Discussing outliers at either end of the spectrum is counter-productive. In general, the vast majority of people who buy lottery tickets do so for the chance at a larger return, the tiny release of adrenaline. If each ticket provided exactly the same payout, which would have to be a percentage of the investment, no-one would buy them. That is exactly why nodes do not give a fixed rate per hit. If every level one harvester got 1 unit, and every level 10 harvester got 10 units from every node, then nobody except dedicated harvesters would bother. That is also why gusher's are planned, wherein harvester's will ahve a very tiny chance of getting a much larger return from their harvest. Harvesting (and PvE with it's rare drops of high level recipes), are far more like lotteries than you think.

We have an extremely different vision of harvesting. You see it as gambling, with people trying to get the big payoff, I see it as work, where you consider your hourly output, so I average the big pulls with the normal pulls. I doubt that people like Thod with his statistical approach and depletion tests see it your way.

About your "no one will harvest at skill level 1":
Yes, my level 10 miner get more minerals than my level 6. But my level 6 get more coal.
And I need to get achievements to increase my skill.
So even that situation isn't so linear as you make it.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio
Caldeathe Baequiannia
tribuzio

We have an extremely different vision of harvesting. You see it as gambling, with people trying to get the big payoff, I see it as work, where you consider your hourly output, so I average the big pulls with the normal pulls. I doubt that people like Thod with his statistical approach and depletion tests see it your way.

About your "no one will harvest at skill level 1":
Yes, my level 10 miner get more minerals than my level 6. But my level 6 get more coal.
And I need to get achievements to increase my skill.
So even that situation isn't so linear as you make it.
You're actually trying to make my position linear. I don't, and won't, suggest that harvesting is always like gambling. This came up as a discussion of how to slow down the bottom end depletion of the hex. How to turn a flat slope to zero into a parabolic slope, to make it harder to completely deplete the hex, because at the moment it is far too easy. At the bottom end of that curve, when the suggestion is that it should take an increasingly long time to harvest resources, something that allows the harvester to continue finding the same number of nodes, with the same frequency, but with lower output, will be more likely to keep the player from logging out in disgust than a method that means they spend five or ten minutes looking for the next node.

The typical player is never going to get to that stage. The typical player should never reach a stage of even half of the nodes being empty, because they don't want to degrade the hex. They have a mathematical signal that they have hit their stopping point, when they start bumping into close to as many empty nodes as full ones. In a delayed-spawn method, they have no idea, for a while, if the hex is depleted, or they're just looking in the wrong place. Maybe all the nodes are on the other side of the hex. Maybe someone is in front of them hitting the nodes before they get there. They have to guess why they aren't finding nodes. If the same number of nodes are present, but 1 out of four, or one out of three, or every other one is empty, then they know how much the the hex is depleted.

By the same token, if they come into the hex and the first two nodes they hit have nothing in them, then they immediately know they should stop unless stripping is their goal. With slowed regeneration, when they arrive in the hex an hour or two after the last person, the hex might have a full complement of nodes, and they could drop it to zero or near zero, accidentally, before they realize the nodes aren't re-spawning quickly.
Decius
Thod-how are you measuring values of 10% and 2% without taking all of it?
You are a Troll
Tigari
Bolded the part to reference, but this is NOT an exploit in any way or form, If anything, its well organized (no matter how little effort it takes). Yes, I think it needs to be changed. It is way to easy to strip mine a hex and KEEP it strip mined. Calling legit strategies for current mechanics should NEVER be called exploits.

Oh, you mean like dancing over the hex border and back when you get the dearly sought after PvP so your toon drops all the debuffs, like that kind of mechanic/exploit?

Your whole group has been exploiters since the very beginning, in every way possible. Fine being evil, but at least play the game and don't just troll the forums with your spin machine or seek to harvest tears in game for the lulz.
Tigari
You are a Troll
Tigari

Oh, you mean like dancing over the hex border and back when you get the dearly sought after PvP so your toon drops all the debuffs, like that kind of mechanic/exploit?

Your whole group has been exploiters since the very beginning, in every way possible. Fine being evil, but at least play the game and don't just troll the forums with your spin machine or seek to harvest tears in game for the lulz.

Half tempted to not even respond, but I've been bored so, here we go.

You don't like us, we ruined your game. I get it. You enjoy to make up lies about us to make yourself feel better, I get it. We whooped your ass, and your angry, I get it.. NOW GET OVER IT! EoX has never, will never condone exploiting. You mention using the hex boarders to rid of debuffs, only thing that I can think of that comes close to this was when Slammy put out his pvp video, and it was noticed he wasn't getting Opportunity when near hex boarders. Only about half of the fights were the next boarder, and it was even happening AGAINST him also. So, if anything EoX has assisted in finding bugs in the combat, and providing video evidence of exactly what happend.

SO, remind me again.. what group was it that farmed usties for 6months, KNOWING that they just didn't feel right? that they were WAY to easy (the prelates and casters being bugged, so they did nothing), and did nothing about it? I mean, they claim to have put in a help ticket, but no dev would verify. Then, after EoX did usties for 1 week we noticed what was up, submitted a help ticket, and within a couple days, GW put out an announcement saying they noticed a bug, and took the Legends and Heroes out, until the bug was fixed, so at least the T3 drops weren't able to be super easily farmed during the time.

So, like I said earlier, Get over yourself. You continually drag this old hatred of your onto the forums, and it's attempting to create a toxic environment. You're posts are demeaning and insulting. If anything, You posts need to be deleted, and you need a good ol GW warning.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post