Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Paddy Fitzpatrick
Bringslite
Why is this crap still getting dragged out of the old trunk like a favorite binkie chew toy?

Things are too far skewed the other way now. It's a big production if some brand new player attacks others in the starting area. I know that it is frowned upon but it started an hour long discussion about what is griefing and how Random Player Killers are not "OK" game wise. This is after Lisa was leaving and chatted, if players attack outside of the Thorn Keep area, we have no problem with it at all.

My settlement has had 5+ PVP encounters with Aragon and Co. Fianna players in the last month or so. Then you can see us all mixed up in a party looking for Ustalav Legends as soon as 15 minutes later, joking and talking.

I also get that some real PVP fatigue happened and we probably lost some really great people from this game, but that is sooo last Forever War ago. Let's move on cause hate is bad, uhmkay?

+1

We literally fought over usties for a bit (more like Bringslite finally got his revenge kill on me that had been a month in the making smile) and were farming the same hex together five minutes later.

Not every PvP incident needs to become WWIII ya know smile
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Bringslite
Heh, negative dirt nap balances don't sit well with me. smile

It's a game. No matter how much we like to believe the other guy has horns, filed teeth, and eats baby pandas we should remember that it's really just another person adding content (and challenge) to a game where that isn't always easy to find.

As for exploits (past or present) we are ALL guilty. For example, I can't think of any reason why Ustalavs (or any invaders) should be "maintained" (milked) when any sane people would finish them off. There are more examples and GW is aware of almost all of them. None (to my knowledge) are game breakers. Punishing us for exploits is GW's call and province, not ours. If they don't address them and tell us "Do not do X", we can probably assume that they are not real concerned about them right now.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Decius
Bringslite
Heh, negative dirt nap balances don't sit well with me. smile

It's a game. No matter how much we like to believe the other guy has horns, filed teeth, and eats baby pandas we should remember that it's really just another person adding content (and challenge) to a game where that isn't always easy to find.

As for exploits (past or present) we are ALL guilty. For example, I can't think of any reason why Ustalavs (or any invaders) should be "maintained" (milked) when any sane people would finish them off. There are more examples and GW is aware of almost all of them. None (to my knowledge) are game breakers. Punishing us for exploits is GW's call and province, not ours. If they don't address them and tell us "Do not do X", we can probably assume that they are not real concerned about them right now.

Saying that farming rather than killing Usties is an "exploit" doesn't actually make it equivalent to taking advantage of bugs.

Let's not take the rudeness of discussing those things off topic as carte blanche to proclaim innocence or equal guilt.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
Saying that farming rather than killing Usties is an "exploit" doesn't actually make it equivalent to taking advantage of bugs.
Because it's the devs' intention for people to let escalations get to zero and then use them for breeding extra high-level loot? I'm not sure that it being an intentionally created bug makes it less of a bug.

People cried that escalations were too hard, so they took out spread, took out growth, took out fail bosses that do nothing but allow you start beating the escalation again, and now we're just supposed to pretend that getting them to zero so we can repeatedly kill high-level mobs for days on end without bringing the escalation to an end isn't a bug.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Decius
"Working exactly as designed, but the design left a loophole that we want to close" is one thing. "Not working as designed" is entirely different. And you knew that.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
"Working exactly as designed, but the design left a loophole that we want to close" is one thing. "Not working as designed" is entirely different. And you knew that.
I knew no such thing. Whether the scale of "exploit" fits your criteria or not doesn't change the fact that most of the map is doing some degree of it.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna regret this, but here's my general take on stuff like this…

Look in competitive games ya always got bugs and shit that can be used to give unintended boosts. Ya also got design choices that sometimes have unintended consequences that do more harm than good.

Usually with the first kind flame wars over how bad the problem is and whether or not it is socially acceptable. The second kind gives ya flame wars over rules as written vs. rules as intended.

Now let's think on this game for a sec, this game ain't nowhere near done and stuff still don't seem to be working right. I keep hearing stories about bugs and design issues that were even WORSE than the ones my company and I have seen so far.

We got a new corp coming, which may shake things up to the point where none of this matters. Let's say though that it ain't the case and it isn't shaken up completely…

Now, does it make using bugs, exploits, and loopholes to your advantage right? Not really, not in itself anyway. How big a deal is it? Depends on the issue, ain't no one size fits all. What should be done? Either don't do it or if you do realize that it can/will be changed up in a later patch and that this change is good. In other words, don't whine when the loophole gets closed and adapt to life without it. Of course if it is something real small then it ain't worth overreacting anyway. Ain't no clean cut answers to where ya draw the line but either way don't be a dick about it regardless of what side you're on.

Now let me make one last thing clear…

Again, I'm only talking general stuff here. I personally don't feel like hearing about any specific case from the past. If people want to put each other on trial for some specific thing they can make their own threads and fight with each other there for all I care.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Duffy Swiftshadow
Declaring something an exploit is not a light accusation. Farming mobs in an escalation is clearly not an exploit by the definitions of the games industry and it's even clearer given what the Devs have said about it and even making changes to incentivize killing the boss. It does not take advantage of any unexpected behavior or a bug in the code to cause an unpredictable effect.

Now if the escalations were designed and coded to end when you hit 0% but somehow we could do something that prevented that from happening and letting us farm the mobs, that would be an exploit.

Some bugs can be exploits or exploit like, but it's a bit more grey area and depends to some degree. A bug that allows duping is pretty clearly a potentially devastating exploit whereas the bug that with Auspicious Critical is advantageous but not quite game breaking, tho under the right conditions it could be problematic.
Edam
Duffy Swiftshadow
Declaring something an exploit is not a light accusation. Farming mobs in an escalation is clearly not an exploit by the definitions of the games industry and it's even clearer given what the Devs have said about it and even making changes to incentivize killing the boss. It does not take advantage of any unexpected behavior or a bug in the code to cause an unpredictable effect.

Now if the escalations were designed and coded to end when you hit 0% but somehow we could do something that prevented that from happening and letting us farm the mobs, that would be an exploit.

Some bugs can be exploits or exploit like, but it's a bit more grey area and depends to some degree. A bug that allows duping is pretty clearly a potentially devastating exploit whereas the bug that with Auspicious Critical is advantageous but not quite game breaking, tho under the right conditions it could be problematic.

Farming the T2 mobs is something that could easily be fixed just by having the escalation disappear within 24 hours of hitting zero. The fact that this has NOT been done indicates the issue is not a big priority for the devs.

Auspicious Critical is bugged but needs cleric 12/ WIS 14 to get it. That is a lot of cross training for non clerics to get a feat that once fixed will be pretty ordinary. It is risky to cross train it. My cleric has it and often does NOT slot it. He prefers to use his (cross-trained) fire mastery and cold mastery while-ever he has power or is within a hex or so of an inn/tavern/smallholding and uses it for emergencies only.

My personal belief is that the whole Power regime is really really badly thought out. By the time you get power 30 or so it costs a huge amount of XP to add just 12 more power (only 1/4 of the power used by a level 6 spell) and recharging your power takes between 5 and 10 minutes standing around at an inn or tavern. In some was Auspicious Critical being broken balances a Power problem the other way.

None of this has ANYTHING to do with strip mining and hex recovery rates.
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
I knew no such thing. Whether the scale of "exploit" fits your criteria or not doesn't change the fact that most of the map is doing some degree of it.

And now you're equivocating between the two things again. I don't care much what you call them, but calling them by the same name doesn't create a spectrum between them.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post