Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Takasi
Saying that I'm suggesting an observer in the sky that sees all and report all is a straw man argument. I like good AI and useful NPCs even in a sandbox game. Spies can have just as much fun thwarting NPC perception checks because ultimately those mobs are serving the interest of their competition.

I want followers and companions and guards that can do what I can do for the right price. It gives the world another 'thing' that we value, collect and protect. I would even like to build, place and direct quest givers, vendors and transport services.
Bringslite
We still have this problem, bad enough to generate this level of enthusiasm for solutions or is this a few people from a few settlements? Would that number be correspondingly higher with a higher population? My point here is that previously a few "cool' kids have been able to speak up and get some "fixes" that did more harm than good. Not blaming anyone, not even GW, but it is GW that has to make the changes.

Does anyone know of more than a handful of hexes that are being stripped on a regular basis? Let's lay it out before we decide there is a major Server Wide problem that requires a major server wide solution.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Thod-Theodum
The reason I started this thread is because

a) it is to easy currently to strip mine a hex
b) it is even easier to keep a hex strip mined

So lets use some numbers
A crater hex to my best knowledge contains:
120 Iron Ore
300 Meteoric Iron Ore
80 Adamantine Ore

It should takes a level 6 miner (4 days experience) < 45 minutes to strip mine all iron ore solo. This assumes approx. 3 iron ore per node and that he manages to gather 1 node per minute. Only 40 nodes need to be done. The same could be done with a 1K throw away dwarf on level 3 mining. I would bet I still could do it in 45 minutes.
Actually the most time consuming step would be to travel to settlements as I will run out of capacity - so the above scenario assumes you just throw away what you gathered when you reach full load.
Regrowth in the 45 minutes is max 3 extra iron ore - so can be ignored.

Draining the T2 and T1 would need a Miner 7. We now talk a total of 420 ore to be gathered. This would be 140 nodes. Assuming a Miner 7 is more used to mining and manages a node every 45 seconds he needs 105 minutes to strip mine the crater solo. This represents 7 possible regrowth cycles with a max regrowth of 28 which might add an extra 10 minutes to the whole work,

Draining the T3 needs a Miner 14. A total of 500 ore needs gathering. This still should be doable without a sweat solo in < 2 hours.

So we are not talking an organized group of 6 who use cloak and dagger to strip mine. A single miner at the right time (Russians? - Aussies would do as well) would work perfectly fine.

The regrowth in the first 24 hours will be <20 resources total. Actually I would expect <10. This represents 5 nodes to harvest or 5 minutes harvesting to keep it at zero every day or (growth is exponential) 10 min every other day or 20 min every third day. Even less if you only want to keep T1 strip mined.

What my suggestion would do is:
If you keep it strip mined every day then you might find 20-50% of a resource back (depending when the lucky drop happened) which means you might spend 20-50% of the original strip mining time. If you keep it strip mined every other day you might find between 20-100% of a resource back and you might have to start from scratch. Keep in mind that the hex likely will stay on average 1 week out of order as you don't know when luck hits.

What about larger populations?
If we quadruple the amounts (which might become necessary with larger numbers of players) then it becomes more difficult to strip mine solo. 1 1/2 hour becomes 6 hours (not counting regrowth which is closer to smile. What it hardly changes is the time needed to keep it strip mined.
My suggestion would mean that prolonged economic warfare needs at least some effort from the attacker on a daily basis.

In the end I'm not against strip mining - but I'm in favour for a good balance. In my view the current system doesn't offer that.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Duffy Swiftshadow
It's more an observation of a possible failure of mechanics. The ones getting stripped seem to be the ones unique to the area they are in, which implies with more population the same goal would still be desirable.

Strip mining should exist, it is a thing that adds value, but we're just pointing out how poorly it seems to work and speculating how well it may or may not work in the future. If strip mining becomes practically impossible that's just as bad as strip mining being too easy.
Smitty
You are asking to place a holding in a hex ..
Then have a log of everything that went on in that hex at your disposal .. who gathered what .. then who killed what.. make sure the timestamp is on there was well ..
That is what I read when I see you asking for logs … of what happens in a hex ..
How is that not an eye in the sky ???
Bringslite
I will start. Though The Dominion is internally debating things like territory claims and has not laid any out there for the time being, we do have (like everyone) several T3 mat capable hexes near our holdings. There have been several times since we started becoming T3 gather capable that a few of those hexes have been stripped by unknown entities.

Those instances have been few and far between in our neck of the woods. They are none currently.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Instead of increasing available amounts (inflation) why not make it more and more difficult to get materials as the available amounts decrease?

There are plenty of games in which a gatherer hits a node, does the motions and gets told "you find nothing worth taking in this spot"
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Takasi
Smitty
Then have a log of everything that went on in that hex at your disposal .. who gathered what .. then who killed what.. make sure the timestamp is on there was well ..
That is what I read when I see you asking for logs … of what happens in a hex ..

If you're quoting me you're imagining the worst case implementation.

I'd prefer gathering be restricted somehow, whether it's with required gear outside of shield hexes or limited time windows to be controlled somehow.

Other people were asking for logs, which I think are neat. I like the idea of putting guards in an area, whether it's holdings or outposts or camps, that monitor activity but can be bypassed by stealth. Bonus points if they can make them roam.
Tigari
Takasi
Smitty

If you're quoting me you're imagining the worst case implementation.

I'd prefer gathering be restricted somehow, whether it's with required gear outside of shield hexes or limited time windows to be controlled somehow.

Other people were asking for logs, which I think are neat. I like the idea of putting guards in an area, whether it's holdings or outposts or camps, that monitor activity but can be bypassed by stealth. Bonus points if they can make them roam.

I hate, and I mean HATE PvP Windows, not a fan of gathering Windows. I'd much rather see it attached to gear or something.
Thod-Theodum
Bringslite
Instead of increasing available amounts (inflation) why not make it more and more difficult to get materials as the available amounts decrease?

There are plenty of games in which a gatherer hits a node, does the motions and gets told "you find nothing worth taking in this spot"

I would support a solution that would do this instead. All I point out is - the current system will cause issues down the line. At the moment I only know of a single hex - but this isn't a war or an organized attempt to deny resources on a wider scale.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post