Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Smitty
Not sure what you are missing or why you don’t like it .. This was the summary from before .. added the part about the rep .. for the watchtower camp ..

Set it up .. stock it with x resources .. each hour it consumes 1 resources ..
At anytime any character can walk up and do a /disable command ..
When that happens .. the settlement that owns the watch tower gets a message / alert for 10 minutes
( use settlement chat to do the alert so its not just 1 company knowing about it)..
Like the stuck command the gatherer cant move / cant be in combat etc..
When 10 minutes are up ..
He can empty the watchtower of resources
which spawns gathering nodes..
The tower remains until the owner takes it down.. just doesn’t do anything if not stocked with bulk resources..
If not stocked with resources for 1 week it decays.. just to keep them from littering the landscape..

I Don’t think they need to be destroyed .. just neutralized to allow gathering.. the gatherer isn’t wanting to claim the hex or destroy the stuff they just want to gather.

If you tie it to settlement, anyone in your settlement should be able to remove the resources .. without the 10 minute countdown..
Something like this
Resources removed
nodes spawn,
Since resources are heavy .. put them back in
Give the watchtower a 30 minute cool down .. ( i.e all gathering nodes disappear 30 min after resources are added to the watch tower..)
Adding this for the rep thing
Using the /disable command gives a attacker flag for ( however much time it takes the watchtower to take away all the nodes)..
What is the problem with something like this ?
Thus far the responses have been along the lines of
We need More guards ..
We need more information about who..
We need to limit the time of day things can happen..
We need to control when escalations die so we can control resources
We need to be able to Claim escalation hexes..
Etc .. these are the things I have read

My view point remains unchanged , if this is a problem, then complain about the tools that allow you to intervene .. I see a list of things that are asking the game system intervene on your behalf..

Should strip mining should be possible? Yes
Should it be easy ? NO
Should it be easy to eliminate ? No
Should you have the tools to do so? Yes
Anyway something to be said about a dead horse etc … done for now Carry on..
Takasi
Smitty
Set it up .. stock it with x resources .. each hour it consumes 1 resources ..
At anytime any character can walk up and do a /disable command ..
When that happens .. the settlement that owns the watch tower gets a message / alert for 10 minutes
( use settlement chat to do the alert so its not just 1 company knowing about it)..
Like the stuck command the gatherer cant move / cant be in combat etc..
When 10 minutes are up ..
He can empty the watchtower of resources
which spawns gathering nodes..
The tower remains until the owner takes it down.. just doesn’t do anything if not stocked with bulk resources..
If not stocked with resources for 1 week it decays.. just to keep them from littering the landscape..

I Don’t think they need to be destroyed .. just neutralized to allow gathering.. the gatherer isn’t wanting to claim the hex or destroy the stuff they just want to gather.

If you tie it to settlement, anyone in your settlement should be able to remove the resources .. without the 10 minute countdown..

Good brainstormed idea. The devs should certainly consider it.

Tie it to companies though. If a company wants to change settlements they should be able to. Settlements should do nothing except accept companies, set pvp windows for those companies and manage settlement buildings and vaults. Companies should be responsible for building, tearing down or capturing their gathering control holdings. It would be more streamlined to build on the existing holding system IMO.

But yes Smitty there are lots of other ideas to consider too. Those other ideas are alternatives, not direct comparisons or replies to your opinion of what you'd like to see. The devs (or the new company) will figure out what direction they want to go in.
Bringslite
Takasi
Tigari wasn't a fan of PvP windows. I think they're fine for the purpose of funneling a time frame for opposing sides to schedule organized activities against each other. In this case I like the idea of one side controlling when everyone can gather in a hex; it makes the control of that time frame important and worth fighting over.

I do not like the idea of anyone controlling escalation hex gathering unless opponents can with equal difficulty contest that control.

My opinion is that gathering should not happen at all while escalations are present, or at the very least nodes should only appear at the same rate that the strength is decreasing. If the boss is up no nodes should spawn at all.

When a hex is fallow I like the idea of holdings allowed as long as they go away when an escalation appears. The same wilderness gathering during PvP window rules could then apply.

lol My bad Takasi. I did get your posts mixed.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Are we turning back to the three or four original points that not everyone will get behind? Now that I look more closely, that moldy pile is that original horse. As much my fault as anyone's. I'm not suggesting anything that is diff than before.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Just for clarity (not that it matters really).

Opposed to:

#1. Perfect Information.
#2. Mechanically being unable to Harvest any node for any reason except it's empty or the pool is low and I have to try another.
#3. Total Ownership of Monster Hexes that allow #1 or #2.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Caldeathe Baequiannia
@Smitty, in a game where people are struggling to be engaged, you want to make them stand still for ten minutes of their play-time?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
LoneWolf
Gushers may temper some of the strip mining issue as well; 1) Assuming they produce resources independent of the other nodes in the hex, and 2) assuming some sort of holding our outpost needs to be erected on the gusher by a company. If those two are true, it provides a good source for anyone who can hold and defend it, and it focuses the defense on a specific location rather than an entire hex.

Of course I have no idea if that is how gushers were intended to work, but it seems reasonable and probably doesn't require a complete change in the current system.
Edam
LoneWolf
Gushers may temper some of the strip mining issue as well; 1) Assuming they produce resources independent of the other nodes in the hex, and 2) assuming some sort of holding our outpost needs to be erected on the gusher by a company. If those two are true, it provides a good source for anyone who can hold and defend it, and it focuses the defense on a specific location rather than an entire hex.

Of course I have no idea if that is how gushers were intended to work, but it seems reasonable and probably doesn't require a complete change in the current system.

Bearing in mind that much more of the design concept of this game was based on EVE then most people realise, the Gushers concept appears to have been conceived as a more temporary version of moon mining with a POS in EVE.

Essentially yes the idea was a structure that will need to be placed and can be attacked. Any resources gathered will need to be shipped home by mule that can also be attacked.

The problem is a lot of the original design concept was based around needing to be in very large companies or settlements to be effective at all - whereas the current player population have been very much stuck in the "be able to be 100% effective while playing in a small group with a few friends" mode. The original gusher concept will not sit well with people who seem to think everyone eventually should be able to have their own settlement and solo the game with a couple of alts smile
Smitty
Caldeathe Baequiannia
@Smitty, in a game where people are struggling to be engaged, you want to make them stand still for ten minutes of their play-time?
No but if you attack an undefended outpost or holding right now .. you have to stay in that area for 10 minutes to take it , which is basically the same thing …

Mostly my ideas above are all using systems that already exist in game with little new code being written just tweaking the functions that already exist ..
Camps ( trying to make use of them, give them a tool box to hold bulk resources)
bulk resources ( trying to find other uses and the code is already written and could be tweaked for rates of consumption)
/disable code and should be implemented like the /stuck so it wont have a ton of tweaks to make it work just calls different functions
.. perhaps instead of not moving .. not moving out of the area ie like outpost and holdings ..
not supplied camps can be shut down the way holdings are presented when out of resources ,

Anyway .. that is the basis, just looking at what we have and thinking of ways to make it do more things without starting from scratch..

Takasi
In your suggestions if I don't just want to sabotage your watchtower Smitty how do I take it over or tear it down entirely?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post