Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Give strip harvested hexes a chance of regrowth

Thod-Theodum
@Tig
I like the idea a lot to combine strip mining and reduced level with quality.

At the moment you get
T1: Level 0
T2: Level 7
T3: Level 14

This could be changed to
T1: 0/3/6/9
T2: 7/9/11:13
T3: 14/15/16/17

The first number is the best quality, the second is next best and so on. 1K alts can help - but only the first 50% and these only (if memory serves me right how far you can train) for the first 50%. You will need at least a level 9 gatherer for each resource to strip mine T1 completely.
For T2 this becomes level 13, for T4 level 17.

Does this mean we might get groups of level 17 who have their private hex and keep it at lowest quality? Technically that could be possible. In reality you can't do this without political fallout. A level 17 will be attached to some settlement. Also it would be easy for another level 17 to swart it and completely drain it.

This solution goes into a complete different direction as what I started. But important is some solutions to problems which eventually will appear.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Tigari
Takasi, If you have someone actually naked stripmining, find there company, and attack there holdings. If your unable to do it on you own, hire some help. "You have what you hold". If another settlement is ATTACKING your land, attack them back. If they are 1k XP Alta, I don't see why you don't like my idea. ecen if there was no forever war, I'd still do the "unconcentual" PvP, I don't like restricting MY play style to certain hours. If you restrict my secondary boredom past time( gathering), you just digging the game a deeper grave. What would you say if I said you could only pve in another groups zone during X hours? The sharing of ustie hexes, or stealth killing of bosses ( NOT saying it was you, but whoever did it) wouldn't be able to. To me your taking ALOT out of the for in needed control.
Takasi
@Duffy None of the naked gatherers I've found were in bottom degraded hexes yet. They're mostly around Live Oak but being so close to Thornkeep it's tough to tell if they're new, alts or did a /vcleave company while running away.
Takasi
Tigari, first it's not my land. "You have what you hold" applies to my ability to "control" the land too. Just because I have a settlement leadership position or I'm a member of a settlement or even a holding that doesn't give me any mechanical advantage (other than nearby vaults) over hex harvesting.

Burning influence and putting my own holdings at risk with a feud, or dragging in other people, is not worth the effort. The gatherer is still going to get his way if he wants, especially if he values griefing the land over collecting bulk resources. This may not be as common today with most of us being vets but the current rules are really poor if a future population comes in. At that point though maybe they'll just up the resources and this entire thread on micromanagement of player harvesting behavior through feuds or rep loss or patrolling or policy publishing will be moot.

On playstyle restrictions, PvE is already on a timer. Look at the Nhur Athemon event; people who were gone for just a few days missed out to the point where we had to spawn more. The issue here is that people are potentially losing out on their playstyle right now because of the degradation mechanic. Someone logs in, wants to gather, goes to a hex and it's empty. If they knew there was a window of opportunity where there are guaranteed resources (but you may have to fight for them) at least they can plan or get an alert from their friends like they do for PvE and PvP.
Duffy Swiftshadow
There is something to be said about escalating conflict. Do we really want a few strip miners escalating straight to burning down holdings, something an entire settlement would respond to? Sure sometimes it could just be an extension of a settlement vs settlement conflict, but sometimes it's not, and when it's not it's really boring if the first answer to everything is just go to war with your whole settlement against theirs.

Anyone who is the least bit competent is gonna do it in a smart manner, the proposed faction system could make it impossible to retaliate against holdings or a settlement. Perhaps more thought needs to go into the gathering system, perhaps just tying gear to what can be gathered and how much would would mitigate some of these problems we've pointed out. Not to mention whatever impact Gushers have on resource collection.
Takasi
Tigari
What would you say if I said you could only pve in another groups zone during X hours?

I don't think they should add any mechanics that grant exclusive harvesting rights in a hex, whether they have holdings or adjacent or nearby settlements. Lisa made a suggestion that you could 'win' temporary rights after defeating an escalation, and while I think the competition would be fun it's not my preference. If windows were introduced I would rather that nobody, not even the settlement with the holdings, can gather outside of those windows. The purpose of the window is to give hexes a chance to recover and to funnel activity so that gatherers are forced to be more social, vulnerable and competitive.
Takasi
Duffy Swiftshadow
Not to mention whatever impact Gushers have on resource collection.

I would think it would be easy (Bob is this a next patch possibility?) to add rare mob group spawns that are large enough and strong enough to require gatherers and travelers to call for help. If they dropped enough salvage to require a mule or a hex layer's worth of T3 (20-50 units) then I think it would add a fun gameplay element without sacrificing gatherer value (it would probably magnify it).
Bringslite
Takasi
Duffy Swiftshadow

I would think it would be easy (Bob is this a next patch possibility?) to add rare mob group spawns that are large enough and strong enough to require gatherers and travelers to call for help. If they dropped enough salvage to require a mule or a hex layer's worth of T3 (20-50 units) then I think it would add a fun gameplay element without sacrificing gatherer value (it would probably magnify it).

Try attracting Dev attention like this below:

@ Bob

Bob is this a next patch possibility?) to add rare mob group spawns that are large enough and strong enough to require gatherers and travelers to call for help?

Normally I wouldn't bold this but it is buried below/within your entry. Might need to stick out since they are busy and might just scan these threads. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Takasi
Duffy Swiftshadow

With existing tech, I could theoretically make a rare mob that dropped a lot of heavy salvage, but then the character landing the killing blow would auto-loot it and become rooted in place. Potentially a very unpleasant surprise.

With a bit more work, we could come up with a way for mobs to optionally leave behind the equivalent of a husk, but that's definitely not trivial.
Tigari
@ takasi, sorry, I must of misunderstood you with the timing on harvesting. I thought you wanted "full control" over when a hex is harvestable.

@Duffy, if you read a few posts of mine back, I said the first step should of been talking to said gatherers settlement leadership. THEN if that didn't work, go to burning. The Forever War has a great example of this. When one company placed a small holding in another groups territory, if said group would of gone to the leadership of the settlement the company belonged too, instead of just attacking said settlement assets, the forever war may have worked out differently. (Although I'm not complaining how it went/goes)

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post