Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Some Questions to Spark Forum Activity

Edam
Lisa Stevens
Bringslite
Or not. Let him wonder if there will someday be an unexpected repayment. Ironic that in helping create a game that you have always wanted to play, you feel that you are not allowed to play it the way that all of us can. That sucks.

It is the tradeoff you make in order to work in the biz. But, yeah, it would be nice if I would be able to participate in group PVP. Early on, we had to make a decision to play as devs privately or publically. The debate raged long and hard, but the caveat is that if we revealed ourselves, there would be restrictions. I didn't want to have to do all this skullduggery to try to hide who I am (voice fonts for Mumble, etc.), so I sided with being open, but that had a cost.

One story that shows how hard it is to participate in PVP as a dev happened pretty early on. A large group of EOX was attacking a large group of EBA players up in the Ustie home hex back when it always had Heroes and Legends. I wanted to watch a PVP battle, so I logged into my GM account and teleported there just to watch the battle. At one point, the battle overran my position and I just stood there watching. A number of EOX characters got mowed down by focus fire from EBA, but the next day on the boards, I was accused of using some super GM power to kill the EOX players. Folks knew that my non-GM play was with Brighthaven at the time, so when bunch of EOX fell in rapid succession, the obvious answer was that I cheated for the EBA. From then on out, I have avoided PVP, relying on videos sent to me from the various factions in the Forever War to get an understanding about how PVP plays out.

-Lisa
Way back around the turn of the century I used to play for a Drow clan on one of Richterm's NWN servers. When mod's/devs appeared in game to observe or interact with players they often turned up as a very cute and rather invulnerable baby dragon. It was a nice touch.
Midnight
The problem with the focused fire was that the game visibly combined multiple damage values together when they hit simultaneously.

So instead of seeing 200, 200, 200, 200… if enough comes in at once you see 800.

When you know no one can cast an 800 point feat, and you haven't seen combined damage values before (everything was new to everyone in a new game) then you start to look for explanations.

Having a GM on scene makes it a quick leap to how something that seems "impossible" can be possible.

It was a WRONG quick leap, but it highlights the hazards of GMs being at PvP.

By the way, you guys can always join us in PvP on Elder Scrolls Online, or Ark. smile

Do gaming companies do something like "club courtesy"?

(If you work at a nightclub here in Hollywood all the other nightclubs, in the same music scene, tend to let you in for free as club courtesy).
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
Midnight
The problem with the focused fire was that the game visibly combined multiple damage values together when they hit simultaneously.

I think it may be more than visibly.

We have on occasion (but not in a repeatable fashion) managed what appears to be a "oneshot" of single mobs, without alerting their friends, as a result of simultaneous combine fire.
Lisa Stevens
Decius
Would there be any hard feelings if the Bloodstone Swords got feuded? Would that risk getting University Students in the crossfire?

Unfortunately, there aren't enough Bloodstone Swords anymore to mount a defense. Right now, there is just Bob and I with characters. I am hoping when New Corp comes online that they will bring a lot more new devs to the Swords and then we could defend our holdings. But right now, we are pretty ripe for the picking and it would most likely be me by myself trying to defend stuff. Not exactly the group PVP I would like to participate in.

-Lisa
Lisa Stevens
Smitty
Pretty sure they were the first feuded company in the game!

That is very true. And like the chickens we are, we never showed up. smile Actually, if I remember, we didn't even know we were feuded until it was almost over. I think we were shipping a build and it was all hands on deck getting that out the door.

-Lisa
Bringslite
@ GW

If you had to make a guess at how many active players you would feel comfy(not needing expansion) with the size the map currently is, what would that be?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Decius
Bringslite
@ GW

If you had to make a guess at how many active players you would feel comfy(not needing expansion) with the size the map currently is, what would that be?

Not the intended audience, but I'll hazard 3000 players with a peak of 500 online for normal weeks and 800 or so, enough that a typical outing resulted in seeing at least one random character and having to decide what posture to take regarding them.
Midnight
The original EE plans were going to limit the population increase to 2,000 a month before OE.

I remember being in a hurry not to be shut out. smile

I'm not sure how soon they could have opened more map or enabled new settlements, but I got the impression there might be 10,000 or 20,000 players before opening more map.

It's hard to say how many players we could have before it starts feeling crowded. That would depend somewhat on the community, and so far, it is a fairly cooperative community. If it was more like a normal MMO audience, I'd expect that conflict and the doesn't-play-well-with-others crowd could make it feel crowded at 5,000. The current community could probably handle 15,000 more folks like itself, though.

If you're still sitting the game out, I would like to remind you the game has an awesome and helpful community that you just don't see anywhere else. We do get snotty with each other as forum warriors, but there really is an amazing amount of decency towards each other (and especially new players) in the game. When the game gets to whatever state you're waiting for, and you finally join, I think you will be amazed at the community.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bob
Bringslite
@ GW

With the current map, I don't even start to think about crowding issues until we hit 10,000 active players. At that point, I'd want to make the remaining settlement hexes operational, which in turn would raise the number to 15,000 without any risk of overcrowding. Beyond that, the question of exactly how many players we could handle before things start to feel crowded gets very complicated, since it's so dependent on how active those players are and how many are logged-in simultaneously during the busiest times each day, but I'm sure we could handle significantly more than that before we'd absolutely have to add on to the map.
Bringslite
Bob
Bringslite
@ GW

With the current map, I don't even start to think about crowding issues until we hit 10,000 active players. At that point, I'd want to make the remaining settlement hexes operational, which in turn would raise the number to 15,000 without any risk of overcrowding. Beyond that, the question of exactly how many players we could handle before things start to feel crowded gets very complicated, since it's so dependent on how active those players are and how many are logged-in simultaneously during the busiest times each day, but I'm sure we could handle significantly more than that before we'd absolutely have to add on to the map.

Considering the empty Land Rush settlements, the as of yet unsettled spots, and "original mechanically working" settlement pop projections that is closer to what I thought you would say.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post