Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Some Questions to Spark Forum Activity

Edam
We have something like 600 odd acccessible hex at present. Given current server activity, the average population density in game is going to be well under 1 char/hex for some time to come.

Settlements are also in over supply (regardless of the occasional individual who feels they "deserve" their own settlment, if you have the social skills to run a settlement you also have the social skills to get a group together and garner support from existing groups to take one of the dead ones).

The one thing that may become scarce and contentious on the current map as the population rises is T3/escalation hexes. That could be partially alleviated by scattering home hexes for some of the newer escalation types around the more remote areas of the map before ever needing to go to all the work of map expansion.
Bringslite
Edam
We have something like 600 odd acccessible hex at present. Given current server activity, the average population density in game is going to be well under 1 char/hex for some time to come.

Settlements are also in over supply (regardless of the occasional individual who feels they "deserve" their own settlment, if you have the social skills to run a settlement you also have the social skills to get a group together and garner support from existing groups to take one of the dead ones).

The one thing that may become scarce and contentious on the current map as the population rises is T3/escalation hexes. That could be partially alleviated by scattering home hexes for some of the newer escalation types around the more remote areas of the map before ever needing to go to all the work of map expansion.

I am of the opinion that the high T2 escalations shouldn't have any home hex. It just creates a feeling that some area is either favored or screwed. They would be better being T1 only.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite
I am of the opinion that the high T2 escalations shouldn't have any home hex. It just creates a feeling that some area is either favored or screwed. They would be better being T1 only.

I agree with this.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
The Eternal Balance
+1
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite

I agree with this.
I'm not sure that's better. Weren't there groups unhappy about having nothing but T1 escalations near them?

A better long-term fix might be random levels in the home hexes, to simulate ebb and flow in their strength. Perhaps a randomized version of the Molochs, or Ustilavs, or Skull-bashers, with some that contain virtually nothing but white and yellow mobs, with one or two reds for the boss, to indicate a low point in the home's strength. Another version could be primarily yellows and a few reds, with a small number of purples at the end. Then instead of putting the type of escalation into a random, it could be the strength that is random, and have it weighted toward the lower end. It would give some apparent variety in the home hexes, without robbing them of their nature, and without requiring any new art, simply a few new mob definition tables from existing npc types.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Decius
The point of the home hexes is to have a guaranteed location for quest content. Making the quest content have unpredictable level seems like a bad idea.
Bringslite
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite

I agree with this.
I'm not sure that's better. Weren't there groups unhappy about having nothing but T1 escalations near them?

A better long-term fix might be random levels in the home hexes, to simulate ebb and flow in their strength. Perhaps a randomized version of the Molochs, or Ustilavs, or Skull-bashers, with some that contain virtually nothing but white and yellow mobs, with one or two reds for the boss, to indicate a low point in the home's strength. Another version could be primarily yellows and a few reds, with a small number of purples at the end. Then instead of putting the type of escalation into a random, it could be the strength that is random, and have it weighted toward the lower end. It would give some apparent variety in the home hexes, without robbing them of their nature, and without requiring any new art, simply a few new mob definition tables from existing npc types.

I can't speak for everyone, but two points: 1. Unhappiness (in this case) stems from seeing someone else have something that you don't. 2. A better long term solution? Sure, why not, if they feel it is worth the effort. Escalations are being reworked to get more difficult as they get knocked down anyway. Right now a short term fix could even the field a bit.

This has been a "thing" from day one. I only extended and commented because it was brought up. After a year, it obviously isn't a deal breaker for me, but a balanced playing field makes for happier players.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Caldeathe Baequiannia
There are regular complaints about the lack of Pathfinder in PFO. If the new publishers decide to re-brand it, that is no longer an issue, but removing the home hexes simply further weakens the connection to the IP.

Every loss matches a win. The proposal to turn them all into permanent low-level escalations means that a number of groups will go from having good access to a couple of moderately high escalations to having a tiny chance of getting one. Two of Alderwag's (or three of High Road's) closest hexes are home hexes. Locking those down to low level will be a loss for some people. (And in some cases add an even greater burden to problems that also were not of our making)

I don't know the code. Someone from the Dev's will have to address exactly how complex non-art varations on an escalation would be. We know they exist now, since the Ustilav home hex doesn't get heroes or legends.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Edam
Ok … point taken.

I will rephrase my suggestion:

Edam
The one thing that may become scarce and contentious on the current map as the population rises is T3/escalation hexes. That could be partially alleviated by scattering some extra escalation hexes around the more remote areas of the map as a temporary measure.

Decius
If escalations become a scarce resource, they can be turned back on. smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post