Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Too Late for 11.2 but...

Azure_Zero
I think equipment durability is fine as is, it just the good drops that always seem to disappear on the first death since you got it and are holding it.
Bringslite
Instead of a complicated thread system that is 3 years out, you want a Pharasmic Insurance system, or in addition? I might get behind something like that if it eats coin(drain).
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Thod-Theodum
Caldeathe Baequiannia
They were already trying to prep us for lower durability or greater damage, but a lot will depend on activity levels. What's going to matter is whether resources are leaving the economy fast enough to maintain a healthy economy.

Another option would be for all to have 24/24, but a T1 item takes four hits at death, while a T2 takes 3 and a T3 takes 2. Then "enchanting" could "strengthen" so an enchanted item takes 1 less. resulting in:

24 Deaths - T3 enchanted
12 deaths - T3 or T2 enchanted
8 deaths - T2 or T1 enchanted
6 deaths - T1

Unfortunately as nice as it looks - this would be a very bad idea. It results in coin drained from the poor and coin even less drained from the rich.

I chatted yesterday with 2 players

One was new and travelled 5 hexes just to sell 26 iron at our AH and to buy himself equipment. I gave him 2 mules so at least he could carry more next time.

The other player I chatted with had 4 platinum in his bank and doesn't know what to do with it / has no need for it.

What Cal's idea is doing is protect the rich but make the life for poor even tougher. Who dies more often? T1, T2 or T3?

The difference with T1/T2 is that on T2 you might get wounded 80%+ 20 times before you finally die while on T1 the ratio is 5 times. So already the churn is higher for T1 compared to T2.

Don't scare new players away. I know we started with nothing but a club. But this doesn't appeal to a lot of players. Especially if they see us 'rich ones'. And handing out charity isn't a healthy way to play the game.

Oh - and the main complaint from the rich player was the complaint to be constantly asked for donations. I hope the player doesn't mind me misrepresenting him to make a point.

Good idea Cal but somehow we need to achieve the opposite.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Thod-Theodum
Bringslite
Instead of a complicated thread system that is 3 years out, you want a Pharasmic Insurance system, or in addition? I might get behind something like that if it eats coin(drain).

This might work a lot better compared to Cal's idea.

What about the following?

Fixed price per day based on value. Value can be calculated using raw material input.

In addition a danger premium applies for damage dealt while you wear your equipment. 1 cp for each 1000 (can be scaled) damage dealt to you.

This would negate 1 death per server day.

We could even allow premiums to be paid in T1 tokens instead / in addition to coin.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Thod-Theodum
Good idea Cal but somehow we need to achieve the opposite.
First, any player that is struggling to obtain T1 gear after their first hour is ignoring the assistance of other players. I don't think anyone that has either asked for assistance with T1 gear or simply mentioned they've lost it has had to wait more than a minute or two for an offer of replacements. Our company has stockpiled starter gear in Thornkeep and have never asked for anything from any player that indicated a need.

Second, the cost of high-end gear is exponentially higher than low-end, and effectively reducing the standard durability to 12 or less (since the only thing higher would be "enchanted" T3, which is a +4 or better equivalent recipe) is not protecting anyone. You have to look at the system as a whole, not what we have today. If we use a simple formula for threading, of 1-3 threads per tier, and another 1 per plus, a single piece of T3 gear with +4 equivalence is going to use 7-13 threads. Likely a majority (if not all) of the player's available threads, which means most or all of their other gear will end up on their husk, likely 1-3 hexes away, for others to find. If the +4/+5 Enchantments are designated to take a penalizing thread count, that can be guaranteed.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
You are a Troll
Proper threading sounds good to me - you stroll around the River Kingdoms in your fancy pancy expensive gear you are likely to attract bandits and other ne'er do wells! Meaningful choices and all, ya know?

Gear insurance is absurd - we don't have enough gear churn now as it is!
Thod-Theodum
@Cal
I have seen new players ask for help and non given on various occasions. I no longer have a stash of starter gear in TK. I moved everything to EL. I doubt your group manages 24/7 cover.
Also not everyone wants to live on hand outs.

About your suggestion - with threading I would agree. But I didn't see in your suggestion that this was a prerequisite.
Seraph
We might not have a lot of gear churn right now, but there's no PvP happening consistently right now. When there's a lot of PvP, there's plenty of churn. As the PvP mechanics and incentives get ironed out, I don't think churn will be a problem, even to the point where threading gets to be a negative experience.

Lots of people like to throw around "meaningful choices" as a phrase when the choice they're alluding to is between two bad things – like being forced to stay close to home or losing your gear. I'm all for meaningful choices, but they should be more like choosing your favorite two reactive feats – the meaningful choice being that you can't run all of them and need to pick the ones that work the best for you. This is a positive choice rather than a negative one.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
You are a Troll
There is already no penalty to dying; if there is also no (or very little) danger of losing your precious gear, then this cheapens the game.
Edam
The problem is not lack of churn its an excess of crafters for the population size (many people seem to have the one combat character but 3 or 4 crafter/gatherers) and the fact that many settlements are self suffcient with enough in house crafters to meet their needs several times over, meanng very little is traded on the AHs.

For example there is an awful lot of T3 gear out there, you see people in T3 armor all the way up to Crusader Plate swinging adamantine weapons with T3 expendables. However none of that gear appears for sale on the AHs. The odd rare bit that does get listed like the Adamantine Longswords for sale at Keeper's and Emerald Lodge do not sell.

This designed obscelence scenario people are proposing is not going to instantly fill the queues of people wanting to make a living from crafting. You need people to start building combat characters and stop creating new crafters.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post