Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Power Suggestion

Bringslite
<–Unqualified to comment on power mechanics. Just the same, look at me!
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Jokken
Duffy Swiftshadow
That's an option, a lot of the reasons those expendables are 'necessary' now is because of the big heal nerf that was far more recent than any of the initial escalation balance or design.

I can agree with this. Before the healing nerf, you could get away with using an expendable once every few encounters. Post nerf, expendables are needed almost every encounter.

Auspicious Critical is broken because it is regenerating power on every attack roll, instead of only on critical hits. My first choice would be to fix this in 11.2 so that it functions correctly. If this is not possible, temporarily disable it. I'm pointing this out as, it would seem those up thread are talking as if the concept of the feat is unbalanced, when in fact the bugged mechanic is causing an imbalance.

I've been an advocate for a long time to tweak the cool down and cost of materials on player created camps to allow for functional in the field power regen.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Edam
Auspicious Critical is broken and needs to be fixed.

Another rarely mentioned issue with power that is somewhat broken/exploited is the way most settlements have surrounded their monster hexes with multiple inns.

Neither of those issues have anything to do with the original point that 5 to 10 minutes travel to an inn or tavern plus 10 minutes standing around is excessive. Note that the original suggestion would still mean 5 to 10 minutes travel plus 5 minutes to power up which to my mind seems reasonable.

With regard to the statements that we should be running escalations with multiple parties - taking on an escalation with multiple parties means only the party that pulls aggro takes any damage and members of all the other parties get a free shot at the targets with no risk. I actually see this as an exploit, albeit a minor one.
Decius
Placement of inns isn't a problem, it's an emergent effect working nearly as intended. If there is a problem it's that none of the other holdings do anything (and possibly that inns don't have a way to profit from outside use or limit who can use it).
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Jokken
Auspicious Critical is broken because it is regenerating power on every attack roll, instead of only on critical hits.
I'm not certain this is the real issue, or that S.C. is as "broken" as it looks. Part of me suspects that a choice was made to simplify treating different categories of actions on the bar by making anything with positive effect to self have either a huge bonus to hit, or some other effect that means every time you cast "agile feet" or "guidance" or "cure" you actually are generating a critical as far as the combat system is concerned. It's possible that A.C. is working as intended, but the rest of the combat system is broken in relation to it. That would provide a reason why it is taking a long time to fix.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Seraph
I agree and second pretty much everything Duffy has said in this thread. This isn't about auspicious critical – the feat is really just a great stop-gap measure that makes the current encounters able to be tackled at a reasonable rate with a reasonable number of deaths in the way combat is balanced right now. Even having auspicious critical and a 6-man party is not sufficient to take challenging T2 encounters without significant cheesing of the mechanics.

To me, that means that auspicious critical might as well stay until combat balance can be fixed. Sure it's a bug, and bugs should be fixed, but a bug that makes the game better for a lot of people by addressing PvE combat imbalance is not the sort of thing that should be a priority – the combat imbalance is. I want it to stick around for now, but much more I want to not need it anymore.

We need aggro control mechanics, we need to be harder to kill by the types of attacks we're strongest against, we need significantly better power- and consumable-free healing. Or we need to ramp up our damage (or cut monster hp) so encounters are shorter, if we want it to feel more like tabletop. Combats in tabletop tend to be short and dangerous, and combat healing only happens in an emergency because usually you're better off contributing damage or crowd control.

Caldeathe Baequiannia
Jokken
Auspicious Critical is broken because it is regenerating power on every attack roll, instead of only on critical hits.
I'm not certain this is the real issue, or that S.C. is as "broken" as it looks. Part of me suspects that a choice was made to simplify treating different categories of actions on the bar by making anything with positive effect to self have either a huge bonus to hit, or some other effect that means every time you cast "agile feet" or "guidance" or "cure" you actually are generating a critical as far as the combat system is concerned. It's possible that A.C. is working as intended, but the rest of the combat system is broken in relation to it. That would provide a reason why it is taking a long time to fix.

It could be that all "beneficial" feats count as crits, but you also get 4 power back when you make a weapon attack or use an attack expendable, so that's not the whole issue.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Azure_Zero
Decius
Placement of inns isn't a problem, it's an emergent effect working nearly as intended. If there is a problem it's that none of the other holdings do anything (and possibly that inns don't have a way to profit from outside use or limit who can use it).

I have to agree with Decius on this to a good degree.
The Inn holding is freaking great next to a monster/home hex since you don't need to travel far to recharge.
But All the inns I've seen are +0, most likely due to the fact the power recharge rate is unchanged, and should have a +2 added on for each + on active on the holding.

While the Class type holdings are near useless since most groups have their training in settlement, and not using a holding to swap out for another building. But when the new settlement upkeep costs come in, folks might be going with higher + Class type holdings since their upkeep is cheaper and can help give feats that are needed, but since it caps at level 15, it might be a pain (if the equation was +0 starts at 10, and every + was two levels then folks would use them more)
i.e 10(+0), 12,(+1), 14(+2), 16(+3), 18(+4), 20(+5)

Now Crafting type holdings are the most useless of them all for one major reason; They are not connected to a bank in the settlement. Add in that +0 Crafting holdings have NO crafting queue, and the quality rating is poor from +1 to +5. To make if worth people's while to put up and use crafting type holdings, the Queue MUST be available at even +0, and the crafting quality should be 100 at +0 (effectively settlement level 12). The Crafting quality equation for holdings should be (100+(2.8*(+Val))^2),
or (100(+0), 107.84(+1), 131.36(+3), 170.56(+3), 225.44 (+4), 296(+5)).
This would make them useful and with a way of making the higher + values worth it.
Duffy Swiftshadow
One of our clerics tested it way back to report a little more exactly what was going on, it's still based on critting but a single proc can sometimes trigger for several hundred power instead of the couple of power it was supposed to do. Best guess is something that was supposed to be controlling the scale of the effect is borked, or I suppose some just straight up bad math could be involved. Hard to tell from here why it's happening.
Seraph
Duffy Swiftshadow
One of our clerics tested it way back to report a little more exactly what was going on, it's still based on critting but a single proc can sometimes trigger for several hundred power instead of the couple of power it was supposed to do. Best guess is something that was supposed to be controlling the scale of the effect is borked, or I suppose some just straight up bad math could be involved. Hard to tell from here why it's happening.

That's incorrect. Auspicious Critical will never give any more or less than 4 power for every activation of every attack/buff/heal/expendable. I think I explained this misconception in a previous thread about the issue, but the yellow number that pops over your head that says how much power you get is displayed incorrectly when the power you used also heals you for hit points. This is not to be confused to giving hundreds of power, it still gives 4. This is easily demonstrable in game.

(Unless it works differently for other people than me, which is unlikely.)
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Seraph
Auspicious Critical will never give any more or less than 4 power for every activation of every attack*/buff/heal/expendable.
Saving taking second level, at which point it gives 6, not 4.

* I think you should look very closely at attacks. I don't think attacks that do not generate a critical are providing a power buff. That's why I make the statement I did earlier. The difficulty is that with characters that have T2 or better attacks, finding one that doesn't generate a critical isn't always easy. And finding a Cleric level 12 (required to take A.C.) who doesn't generally use all T2+ attacks, makes it a little harder.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post