Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Power Suggestion

Seraph
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Seraph
Auspicious Critical will never give any more or less than 4 power for every activation of every attack*/buff/heal/expendable.
Saving taking second level, at which point it gives 6, not 4.

* I think you should look very closely at attacks. I don't think attacks that do not generate a critical are providing a power buff. That's why I make the statement I did earlier. The difficulty is that with characters that have T2 or better attacks, finding one that doesn't generate a critical isn't always easy. And finding a Cleric level 12 (required to take A.C.) who doesn't generally use all T2+ attacks, makes it a little harder.

That doesn't seem right. There's no way I'm getting a critical hit every single time I attack an Ustalav boss knight with my level 4 Dawnflower's Caress.

As far as getting more power back at higher levels than 1, you might be right, I haven't tried it.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Jokken
Seraph
That's incorrect. Auspicious Critical will never give any more or less than 4 power for every activation of every attack/buff/heal/expendable. I think I explained this misconception in a previous thread about the issue, but the yellow number that pops over your head that says how much power you get is displayed incorrectly when the power you used also heals you for hit points. This is not to be confused to giving hundreds of power, it still gives 4. This is easily demonstrable in game.

(Unless it works differently for other people than me, which is unlikely.)

Yes this is how Auspicious Critical is currently working. It returns 4 power on each and every orison cast each and every time they are cast or weapon attack with any weapon. It does not matter if it is a buff, attack, or heal. If it raised to the next rank, it returns 6 power on every use of a feature on the main bar, utilities and expendables excluded. This value never varies. Spamming Agile Feet seems to be a favorite of people using this loophole for power regen as it has no cooldown, a low stamina cost, and is self target-able and doesn't cause you to move or be rooted while casting.

I can also agree that Auspicious Critical is only vaguely tangential to the issue at hand. I only seek to clarify as people started exclaiming "OMG Auspicious Critical" again.

Also, again, I will state that if we made player crafted camps so that they have an independent cooldown from base camps and small holdings and decrease that cooldown to 60 minutes from 4 hours, they would both have a place in the game and alleviate the annoyance of running to an Inn or Tavern every 45 minutes of escalation fighting. Dropping one to recharge from PvP would be risky, but shouldn't it be? If investment balance with the expendable is an issue, increase the raw mats required by 400%.

Should the healing nerf be rolled back? PvE enthusiasts say yes, PvP enthusiasts say no. I understand the pain of having to employ BS tactics to tackle content that should be within your grasp but is not because of under powered recovery options. Then again the pain of not being able to out damage a healer in PvP when quality healing options are readily available to nearly all builds is just as great. This is why in the vast majority of MMOs actions are coded differently in PvE and PvP environments. Trying to balance both worlds is often an impossible tightrope routine.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Midnight
I messed with Dark Elves in a 5 man group in March and they seemed fine, and I don't think our people were using lots of power. I sure wasn't, since I discovered that even my wimpy T1 expendable heals seemed to have been nerfed.

People just had to run away sometimes.

We accomplished stuff, killed the boss, got loot and broke up to sell, sleep, etc.

Also, while I appreciate the idea of wanting to fight stuff without resorting to the cheesy circle kiting we had to use, the fact is that once it is possible to tank or faceroll a group of mobs it also means you are killing them faster.

So, while I can see the positive side of wanting to be able to stand up to a group of mobs in a conventional manner, those of us arguing for that should also admit that the end result will be more mobs killed per hour, and thus more loot and recipe drops per hour if the drop rate remains unchanged.

So, I'd like to argue for a FUN button in fighting mobs, but not an EASY button. I'm not sure making Power come back faster is the answer, because I really don't want a game where expendables define whether your character is viable.

Remember, you might NEVER find the expendables you want. At least you can go to trainers to buy the feats you want/need to be an effective character. If expendables are what makes the difference between powerful/effective characters and impotent/ineffective characters, then the RNG loot gods are totally in control and being powerful is nothing but a matter of luck.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
With regard the Off-Topic conversation:

To be honest I believe a lot of the game balance issues (multiple archer focused fire in PvP, multiple clerics area healing at once in PvP, multiple AoE wizard expendables on same group of targets) are a result of problems dealing with focused/synchronized fire. Many games have issues with this.

It is also worth noting that Ryan was expressing concern at one stage that expendables were UNDER utilized and in fact buffed them to try and tempt more people to use them.

Back on-topic:

The original point is that 10 minutes standing in an inn holding or tower to repower is excessive and 5 minutes is more reasonable. Claiming that now we have the broken auspicious critical feat we need not worry about inn/tavern power issues is not a good argument. There may be good reasons why 10 minutes at a tavern is necessary for balance but i am yet to see them.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Edam
Back on-topic:

The original point is that 10 minutes standing in an inn holding or tower to repower is excessive and 5 minutes is more reasonable. Claiming that now we have the broken auspicious critical feat we need not worry about inn/tavern power issues is not a good argument. There may be good reasons why 10 minutes at a tavern is necessary for balance but i am yet to see them.
I'm not sure that was nearly as far off topic as you are suggesting. And I didn't see anyone ever say that A.C. was a reason why 10 minutes at a tavern is necessary, so that comment seems spurious. My position is that it should be removed from the game until it is fixed.

Power-based features are unbalancing, and making them as frequently usable as other feats will mean that a small number of people who have obtained the powerful ones will have an even greater advantage than they already do over everyone who hasn't.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Edam
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Power-based features are unbalancing, and making them as frequently usable as other feats will mean that a small number of people who have obtained the powerful ones will have an even greater advantage than they already do over everyone who hasn't.

I have no argument with that and agree that in particular the AC issue needs to be addressed.

The reason for the percent suggestion rather than a flat increase in recharge rate was to avoid issues with low/mid power characters getting virtually instant powerups. Note that a 5 minute tavern recharge is going to actually give me on my personal characters the same or longer recharge.

I still hold to the view that 10 minutes at a tavern is too long. Even currently at power 24/26 and T2 armor where it takes 5 or 6 minutes, people in your party tend to alternate characters or just go afk (and some times not come back). A game that forces you to go to afk for 5 to 10 minutes regularly will eventually not get played.
Decius
Accelerated power regen: Coin drain?
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Edam
The reason for the percent suggestion rather than a flat increase in recharge rate was to avoid issues with low/mid power characters getting virtually instant powerups. Note that a 5 minute tavern recharge is going to actually give me on my personal characters the same or longer recharge.

I still hold to the view that 10 minutes at a tavern is too long. Even currently at power 24/26 and T2 armor where it takes 5 or 6 minutes, people in your party tend to alternate characters or just go afk (and some times not come back). A game that forces you to go to afk for 5 to 10 minutes regularly will eventually not get played.
If low level characters are able to recharge faster it's because they are not using as many of the game-unbalancing effects. A high level character who uses only low level expendables at a similar rate will recover power exactly as quickly. The fact that they are able to 1) have more power and 2) use up large a mounts of power in a short time with powerful effects, is not a good argument that they should also be able to do it more often. The design spec is a shallow power curve. Recovering power more quickly the more you have does not fit a shallow power curve.

Unless a good argument comes against it, I'd probably be willing to support a feat (an expensive one) that lets you recover power more quickly, as long as it isn't too quickly. That would at least represent a power trade-off. I like that power is heavily restricted, and I think it fits a balanced design. Right now, one feat is badly broken and is throwing that balance off. I think removing the broken feat until it's fixed is vastly superior to changing the whole system without widespread rebalancing.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Seraph
There's such a fine line between irrelevance and overpoweredness when it comes to expendables and power consumption that I think the only way to make things right is to redesign the system. Someone needs to decide exactly how much access we're intended to have to expendables on a per-day or per-fight basis and then make a system that grants that level of access. Our discussion here is greatly hindered by the fact that we don't seem to have any clear idea what GW's intent was.

Needless to say I'm interested to see what NewCorp does with it.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Bringslite
Decius
Accelerated power regen: Coin drain?

Surely if you bought and consumed a meal and a few beers at the Inn, your rest time should be accelerated. The higher the Inn is ranked the better the facilities and the food?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post