Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

abandoned settlement takeovers

Bringslite
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Tyncale
PFO, in its current utterly unfinished, unbalanced and abandoned state, is being taken advantage off by those that decided to stick around.
Who else should be taking advantage of it, Tyncale? Many of us are playing a game we enjoy. The current owners of High Road took it over when it wasn't even abandoned, excising our former lords and masters to make our own home because they were absent. Do you feel like that was "taking advantage" of the fact we are still playing? At what point do those of us who pay to play (and actually play) stop owing something to those who aren't playing?

Reading all of Tyncale's post, I didn't see anything that led me toward his suggesting that anything SHOULD be happening differently. Just some bald statements of things that are happening and a little about why.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Tigari
To give us players time to built a world before Open Enrollment.
^^

None of the settlement controls really matter until we see what happens when they can be lost despite being active. I'm as unimpressed as anyone by settlements with no holdings and controlled by 1-toon companies, but in the grand scheme of the game it's barely a distraction.

On the other hand, as painful as it might be for me, I think that the amount of advantage being given to the defenders was a grievous error on the part of Goblinworks. The whole point of this initial time is supposed to be to test mechanisms and develop a strong game, not to play "stuff the bank vault with bulk". Making it easy for settlements to sit back and stockpile is probably not doing the game any favors. I'm starting to think that any settlement should be open to takeover if they can't keep someone from building a ring of holdings around them.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Midnight
Bringslite
One more thing for both Ryos and Midnight: Expecting other groups to act like and see things the way that you do is a silly chase. I've learned that, again, playing this game.

I agree and wouldn't suggest people abstain for some greater good of the game, as long as others can gain advantage by not abstaining. But more stringent takeover conditions (like being an unattached company) might have led to different results without requiring anyone to abstain from action.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Tigari
And my perception about the game not being real isn't accurate. I think that the game has had to many small bugs in it, that GW didn't have the resources to deal with fast enough, that the game has been set off. My biggest thing with this is Bulk Resources. I think that the first month, maybe 2 (?), where we couldn't attack holdings, AND the double resources bug, made WAY to big a leeway for people. The game is at a point, were most groups could lose all their holdings, and other than time to refarm the materials, it wouldn't really hurt them. They wouldn't have to cut back on their training (although really there's no reason to keep high level training, another negative in my book, being able to just boost your training when needed so everyone can train).

I would be more than happy to keep my character the way he is, and just have a resource (bulk or total), wipe. Also, for those who thing becuase I didn't continue to put in daily play to this game, so my opinion doesn't count. I'm willing to bet I have more Man hours into this game than some of you. I easly put in 5-8 hours a day into this game, if not more on some occasions, for the first 8 months. So from Jan 1st, 2015 to Nov 1st 2015, with a rough average of 7 hrs a day, that's 2128 hours. That's just for my 'active' time frame, not counting the random hours i've roamed around since then.
Bringslite
So…. what should be the minimum requirements to exempt a settlement from threat of takeover? How much time should a new party have to put those in place?

Edit: As difficult as it is to BUILD up a settlement, should they be vulnerable to complete takeovers and possible razing? Would a subjugation system(or something similar) be better for the health of the game?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
Tigari
Duffy, I agree with you on that's how the game is supposed to be played, but what I think midnight was hinting at with your settlement take over (and midnight correct me if wtong), but by you playing the game this way, your shutting out opportunity to get new players involved at this level now. Maybe instead we should of held back the want for personal growth, and assisted in new groups taking control of these settlements, even if theyre only a handful of players. Wether this would be best for the game or not may be opinion.

I don't think any particular bloc should have held back. I think GW could have been more stringent (like requiring capture by truly unattached companies) so takeovers might not have happened as much. Same result, perhaps, but without any bloc having to CHOOSE not to do something they can do.

I'm not asking Duffy to be self sacrificing, and I'm cheered that he at least understands my point.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
Bringslite
So…. what should be the minimum requirements to exempt a settlement from threat of takeover? How much time should a new party have to put those in place?

Edit: As difficult as it is to BUILD up a settlement, should they be vulnerable to complete takeovers and possible razing? Would a subjugation system(or something similar) be better for the health of the game?
In a finished product, there should be no "safe" PC settlement.

The question is "How hard should it be to gain all the benefit of a settlement for yourself?" and right now the situation is "You can just walk right on in."
Midnight
Bringslite

Even at the current development rate we might have siege engines this year. It was supposedly the big thing about EE12.
-Edmund Burke
Caldeathe Baequiannia
It's 10 months since they first said you'd need holdings and outposts to capture a settlement, in part to prevent potential shenanigans around adding outposts in the middle of a feud. It's 8 months since it was brought up and Bob said "yeah, we'll have to change that." People are still taking settlements by putting up six +0 holdings and stuffing a handful of bulk goods into them to cover three days, then tearing them down again. It's not code, for crying out loud, All they had to do is say you have to have holdings and outposts in every one of the six hexes.

So there's a good minimum. You shouldn't get a hex until you have 12 buildings in place, and if you ever let someone else get twelve buildings in place, you should lose it. Even if it's the following week.

TL;DR, In a game that is entirely about settlement conquest, no settlement should ever be exempt from takeover.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Midnight
Duffy Swiftshadow
As a counterpoint, if it was a year from now with 10,000 players and a fully claimed map a new group wouldn't be able to get a foothold easily, why is that acceptable then and not now?

Hopefully EE12's siege engines will allow new arrivals to liven things up for the Alpha Aristocracy.

Without them, yeah there is no difference.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post