Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

abandoned settlement takeovers

arty155jln
Edam
Generally speaking though the issue is one of scale. Settlements are meant to have hundreds or more active players and thousands of characters. The idea that every small group consisting of a player his partner and a few mates can each have a settlement of their own is just nonsense long term.
EvE had their "egg" created Stations, and then they had the Player Owned Stations (POS's). Stations were generally an alliance endeavor, where POS's were corps based, or a lot of times even individual player based; as far as the cost to upkeep and put up.

In PFO we have very few small group oriented buildings (and no I don't consider holdings/outposts individual as they are an extension of settlements), instead we have settlements that are supposed to take massive amounts of players to run. We could use a middle ground of ownership that also helps in the area of territory control. There are quite a few good ideas that I've read about, so I won't mention them here. One of the things that I know is lacking for me in PFO, is the ability to actually enter into buildings. I wish they wouldn't just create building fronts, but actually use models that had working doors, and working windows etc. (I know that a lot of buildings used in Unity from the Asset store are only created as a building, and not as a usable building. So I understand from a modeling standpoint, it's hard to find these unless they are custom art, which gets expensive.)

My point is that we really could use some other type of ownership that is easy for new players to get into. I think that option would help bridge the gap between no ownership and full settlement ownership.
Midnight
Duffy Swiftshadow
The only achievement gating that is really the least bit of a potential issue is gathering as there is just no way to speed it up. A particular weapon's achievement line is silly trivial to do in a time-frame that is fractions of the time you would normally spend 'leveling' a character just by grouping a little bit (especially with higher level buddies) and tearing through T1 escalations that do yield useful loot even for higher level friends.

Maybe if you want to play a lot of characters but have limited time you'll have issues hitting all the achievement gates, but then again you also won't have the coin either. You gotta have some time to play the game to get anywhere, that's true of EVE too. No isk, no training, no use of the training.

Eve's PLEX sales allow players with more money than time to afford training no matter how rarely they play.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Tyncale
Mm, yes, that makes the gap even bigger and impossible to breach with the above solution for Eve. I have no solution, maybe Newcorp has, or maybe players will be ok with it. smile

If they copied Eve's idea of selling skills, they could always let a player sell a particular skill PLUS the achievements. The whole concept of selling skills is artificial anyway, so piling achievements into the sale isn't really any weirder.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
Keep seeing ideas to get more people interested in playing PfO. Some good and some bad. Why though are there ideas that #1 Make PfO easier to get to the same skill level as people that start before another, and #2 ideas that kill the few things that make PfO somewhat unique?

I don't see how these will attract the numbers. They aren't remotely related to the reasons that the vast majority of people won't play PfO.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite
Keep seeing ideas to get more people interested in playing PfO. Some good and some bad. Why though are there ideas that #1 Make PfO easier to get to the same skill level as people that start before another, and #2 ideas that kill the few things that make PfO somewhat unique?

I don't see how these will attract the numbers. They aren't remotely related to the reasons that the vast majority of people won't play PfO.

From my circle of friends, the reason they don't play are:

1) The game is way too incomplete, even for something that is in an alpha/beta state. (It cannot be understated how big a deal-breaker this is)

2) There is not much that makes this game feel like it takes place in Golarion.

3) There isn't much about the mechanics that make it feel like Pathfinder. When told that they can't really duplicate the TT rules for legal reasons, they usually respond with "Then don't call it Pathfinder, because it isn't."

I'd also note that those who like playing spellcasting classes absolutely hate the expendable system as being too limiting- generally they feel if you've paid experience for spells, only slotting up to 6 and not being able to multi-cast a spell during combat is a problem. This isn't an issue as much for the fighter types, although they didn't care for limits on slotted attacks (again, paying XP for feats/attacks yet only having limited access was chaffing and was felt to be contrary to the spirit of TT.)
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Tyncale
Bringslite
There are many other reason why people will not play PFO right now but I think the experience gap is one that will play a role in the future.

I like the xp system as is, because it lifts the burden of having to grind for XP which is something that I could only do for very short spurts in other games and usually left me disliking the game very quickly. The fact that the *gain* is equal for everyone, and maxed out, is what I like: the 2400xp per day. But this does not solve the problem of those that have stepped in early.

PFO suffers from another type of Powergamer, the early starters. Then again, 7 of my 8 accounts already have a 7 months gap of xp compared to pure, always subbed Day 1 accounts, and that's not stopping me from playing this game, if it picks up. smile So maybe the problem is not there as much as I think it might be. Then again, I *do* have 1 Day 1 account, and I have been a fan since KS1 so I (and all of you guys) are not really good examples.

I don't really want them to change the system, but I want PFO also to become succesful and attract a lot of new players!
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Bringslite
Without a complete redo, the game will never resemble TT in more than lip service. I have to say that IS a major complaint and far more common than level gap or player controlled training or having to at least "join" symbolically some company to progress. The TT + MMO audience isn't tiny. Not sure anything can be done about that, but maybe NewCorp will have some wiggle room?

Surely I am not the only person that has read things posted in reddit, mmorpg.com, various reviews, etc… The graphics are a huge complaint that, IMO, are bull crap. My opinion doesn't seem to sway those people(for some reason) though. smile The incomplete systems, the fairly still clunky animations, the timing and the sounds, the lack of atmosphere, the difficult "getting started" phase(too little direction), the feel that there is NOTHING to do after the start quests, having to pay a sub for a widely held opinion of a game in an alpha state, and more….

These are things that only time and money can fix. Dumbing things down too much will only take a somewhat unique features game(designed with the intention of being a "niche" offering) to the level of a badly done clone of all that came before and are under construction now.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
There are just so many things people complain about, that it is hard to know what will be non-issues once the game is complete, and what will still repel players.

The late starter level gap, while not being truly important if you know the truth about the game, perception-wise may be the biggest problem, because unlike grass, feuds, etc. when the devs COMPLETE the game that issue might still remain.

Even people who sense it isn't important (like Eve players) will still be able to name a dozen other games they can start playing and start out even with everyone else, so why should someone come to PFO with a built in disadvantage?

In a sandbox where people can shove you around, why would a new player want to start playing a game where Midnight and Bringslite have an advantage over them?

Starting a themepark late isn't nearly as big a deal as starting a sandbox late.

I don't want to overemphasize the issue, but underemphasizing it is dangerous if it really does repel folks.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
I guess that my point is that, of the many complaints I have seen, having to join a group is(pretty safe to say) very low. I may not have seen it more than 2 times across the interwebz. I will grant that level gap/late start is far more common a complaint, but again, miniscule in comparison to mainstream issues people have. In addition, as you point out Midnight, level gap is a universal complaint. Lots and lots of games are coming out with purchasable 'head starts" of some type. Be they some hours or some days. PfO is open to anyone now and has been for far more time than it was closed.

Players can't have it all ways. They can't refuse to play when the option is there and bitch that they don't want to start behind everyone that did decide to play. Nor is it like there are a huge number of people to push new players around and few of those that play that way in the first place. We are a drop in the bucket of a normal MMO. You know that!

You end up with a mess and a poor game if you try and cater for 100% of the internet. That is at least my opinion.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
arty155jln
I can think of 2 things that are fun in the game for me right now; 1st Escalations, and then only some of them; 2nd Harvesting.

While there is technically PvP, the overarching siege warfare is very lacking, and that was the Number 1 reason I tried out and waiting for a finished PFO. Besides PvP though, other PvE options, like actual quest lines, non-escalation bosses, unique drops besides recipes, would all contribute to a more fun experience.

EvE thrives on it's PvE player base, even though the game is PvP based.

Settlement building is a necessary evil right now, but I wouldn't count it as fun. Changing up the settlement system into something more fluid would be fun; as in the ability to create your own outline of a city with walls, not just the egg/oval shaped settlement outline we have now. Give us the ability to play buildings at all types of angles and allow the placement of roads etc. Darkfall was awful in the way their city building actually played out. We need cities that are built by the players, not just buildings placed. I hope that with more classes that the we see more diversity we see in the type of settlements that exist.

Most of the above can only happen with a dedicated team spending time coding/programming ideas into reality. I hope that NewCorp brings on way more programmers that are mindless drones and no more idea people. We need actual mechanic advances, not more ideas.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post