Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

abandoned settlement takeovers

Midnight
Bringslite
I guess that my point is that, of the many complaints I have seen, having to join a group is(pretty safe to say) very low. I may not have seen it more than 2 times across the interwebz. I will grant that level gap/late start is far more common a complaint, but again, miniscule in comparison to mainstream issues people have. In addition, as you point out Midnight, level gap is a universal complaint. Lots and lots of games are coming out with purchasable 'head starts" of some type. Be they some hours or some days. PfO is open to anyone now and has been for far more time than it was closed.

Players can't have it all ways. They can't refuse to play when the option is there and bitch that they don't want to start behind everyone that did decide to play. Nor is it like there are a huge number of people to push new players around and few of those that play that way in the first place. We are a drop in the bucket of a normal MMO. You know that!

You end up with a mess and a poor game if you try and cater for 100% of the internet. That is at least my opinion.

That all sounds very logical.

Let's hope the MMO player universe eventually shares your logic, because, so far they're a no show.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
Get:
*some new business model that doesn't look like a paid alpha situation(probably very difficult)
*some more non settlement stuff to do for average players(toughest possibly)
*some atmosphere into the game,
*polish the animations,
*do two things that will please the non PVPers and the PVPers("Free PVP" and "PVP Free" areas),
*improve and expand the tutorials and the help menu topics,
*all feats working right,
*find a way to take companies from influence bags to something sexy and meaningful,
*stay on track fixing things that are unfinished or broken/bad BEFORE pushing on to new systems(AKA never leave an enemy behind).

I realize(in that last one) that there was/is probably a schedule of implementation that would gradually bring everything together. The majority has demonstrated that they don't have the patience for that to work well, however.

Then they will come and be more likely to stay. Better than having to wipe everything because people do not want to start behind others. Can't have that driving the game. Can't be persistent and wipe every cpl years to please those people.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
I agree with almost all of that.

Bringslite
Can't be persistent and wipe every cpl years to please those people.

The average MMO just accelerates/streamlines the leveling process (to near max level) every few years. WoW has done it multiple times. SWTOR just did it this month. Basically easing catch-up instead of wipe.

They also start handing out characters pre-leveled to near the max level. WoW's hero class of Death Knights allowed people to start at max level on any server they play, as long as they had achieved it on one server. WoW's new Legion expansion is including a free boost to level 90. SWTOR is handing out level 60 characters to subscribers.

They also include level appropriate gear.

So imagine someone buying PFO next year and getting a character with T3 gear and the ability to use it. Not a wipe, but will we feel stupid for spending $180 in subs (plus a $55 box premium) for what a new player gets on login?

Heck, they'll probably give each new player a settlement, too. LOL
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Tigari
The difference though is those are all theme parks. While there is "leveling content" most people play for the end game. And in order to try to bring old players back, companies make it easier to get to "end game". That plan won't really work in a sandbox.
Bringslite
Midnight
I agree with almost all of that.

Bringslite
Can't be persistent and wipe every cpl years to please those people.

The average MMO just accelerates/streamlines the leveling process (to near max level) every few years. WoW has done it multiple times. SWTOR just did it this month. Basically easing catch-up instead of wipe.

They also start handing out characters pre-leveled to near the max level. WoW's hero class of Death Knights allowed people to start at max level on any server they play, as long as they had achieved it on one server. WoW's new Legion expansion is including a free boost to level 90. SWTOR is handing out level 60 characters to subscribers.

They also include level appropriate gear.

So imagine someone buying PFO next year and getting a character with T3 gear and the ability to use it. Not a wipe, but will we feel stupid for spending $180 in subs (plus a $55 box premium) for what a new player gets on login?

Heck, they'll probably give each new player a settlement, too. LOL

That old treadmill doesn't appeal to me anymore. I do know that it is fun for some.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
Duffy Swiftshadow
The only achievement gating that is really the least bit of a potential issue is gathering as there is just no way to speed it up.

Even that can be pumped with enough help or alts. Just get a heap of people to madly gather elsewhere in the hex and nodes will magically appear all around you.
Tyncale
Also, let's be honest here, the graphics are crap. It's all very generic too.

When I specifically look at a goblin or an Ogre, I think the graphical detail and its animations are great and up to par, but you only have to look around and see the repetitive landscape, the samish trees and shrubbery everywhere, the ridiculous glare of the Moon, the repeating patterns of ground textures knitted haphazardly together, the same stock stone bridge that has been sunk into the ground all over the world with *very* awkward transitions between ground and stone, no water in the rivers, Nodes balancing of cliffs hanging freely in the air, the cobblestone roads that are painted on the ground and simply follow every dent, sharp corner and odd angle of the ground beneath it, the mishmash that is Thornkeep with those awkward protruding Stone bridges that connect banks in the most Mule and Merchant unfriendly way….to see that graphical detail and style have been on the backburner since day 1, in favor of getting those core systems in.

I realize that many man-hours have gone into actually creating the (immense)landscape, the roads, placing the bridges, trees and camps, and painting the ground, but a new player simply sees an unfinished, generic world in a barely alpha-state.

I think this is still one of the main reasons why people discard it.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Azure_Zero
Tyncale
….

I realize that many man-hours have gone into actually creating the (immense)landscape, the roads, placing the bridges, trees and camps, and painting the ground, but a new player simply sees an unfinished, generic world in a barely alpha-state.

I can agree that this did take a lot of man-hours and it looks sub-par in parts, but the current graphics are more of a place-holder until the final version. And while I can agree that graphics can be the hook or repellent of a game, just remember awesome graphics alone can not make up for horrible game play (there are certain AAA titles that are examples of this).
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Azure_Zero
Tyncale
….

I can agree that this did take a lot of man-hours and it looks sub-par in parts, but the current graphics are more of a place-holder until the final version. And while I can agree that graphics can be the hook or repellent of a game, just remember awesome graphics alone can not make up for horrible game play (there are certain AAA titles that are examples of this).

Dude this game could have the graphics of CoDBlops2 or Dark Souls 3 running on dual NVidia Titans on a 4k UHD monitor and that won't make the gamplay any better.

We would just have prettier looking boring ass usties that cast nicer looking spells. Same boring ass farming, same soul draining farming process, same old boring ass grind and same damn complaints.

Same lag time between when your move goes off and when the attack actually hits. Same lack of basic social stuff, same UI-UX issues we still have, but it would just be a sexier looking version with enough eye candy to distract us for a few extra days. Eventually it will wear thin and we will be back to the same old same old.

So yeah, gameplay first, then sexy graphics.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Tigari
The lag between when the move goes off and the actual dmg is purposful i believe. The attack animation is not AFTER the attack speed, but during it (or even before), and on some of slower attacks speeds, the animation may finish before it. They wanted to try to simulate the "6 seconds = one turn" feel of pathfinder (or from what I believe was stated)

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post