Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Keepside Chat Monday, April 25th 2016

Palmer
Some interesting comments here. I don't know all of the history. Don't really care. I'm new and on the 2 week trial. My first few hours playing were a little confusing. That's ok and partially off topic here but related in the way that my PVP experience happened during that time. No this isn't a shared story for therapy. Yes I knew from a little research that PVP was a factor.

I suppose that I did a bad thing. I wanted to see the terrain, see if other areas were more active than the start zone. Well I wandered into some kind of battle in progress or finished, not sure which. It matters little. I stopped and asked what was happening and was told it was a battle or something along those lines. Cool I thought. Theses guys are talking to me. Maybe I can see some of this territory combat, how it works and stuff. Some PVP for a reason. So after a few sentences, I was told to join or die. My reply was "I don't bend my knee to threats" and before I could do or say anything else I was just attacked and killed by what seemed at least 2 or 3 or more.

Frankly I thought that the game was more about challenging PVP and conflict for reasons. You can say that this reason was that I didn't join on the spot. You can say that the sky was blue that day. You can twist reasons to fit anything you like. Still it was a serious turn off. It wasn't challenging. I was in some armor that was a simple gift from the tutorial so it couldn't have been very helpful. I had a club for a weapon that was also free and gotten for logging in.

It was an unfriendly start. I'm not sure if things should be different and I'm not saying that I should have been where I was as a new player. There were no warnings about the area and I had no idea about the zone that I entered. I can attest that it wasn't really fun or encouraging. Just like so many other games with open PVP. Not different or better than those before.

Oh well, just a shared experience for the pile.
Azure_Zero
Yeah, I was online when that happened.
That feud was started over a taken/feuded hex that EoX had, that Fianna took (the Hex was needed for settlement capture), and then EoX went on a 4 day feud with Fianna taking hexes.

You do get a minor warning (a bit, a graphic icon (red crossed swords) that is not explained in tutorials) that the area could be hot for feud PVP.
It tends to be best to avoid a feuded area, if your not involved in the feud. As there can be crossfire, and other reasons that cause death of the un-involved character(s).

Each Powerblock and Settlement has different views on PVP, and differing reasons that could start a feud/attack with another.
Now feuds and PVP are not the only methods of conflict in this game, there are other ways of doing damage to another group without needing to feud them.
Decius
If you are the one I recall discussing it at the time, the same players that drive off Blackwood Glade were the ones that attacked you for "possibly being a spy".

Which actually is a good enough reason to kill a stranger during an opposed operation.

The problem you experienced was a combination of not having the game teach and show you that you were in a combat zone, and meeting a group of combatants who don't help set the expectations of new players accurately.
Tigari
Missing some details, since I was one of the people. The part you left out was that before you said the thing about not bending a knee, was we were all running back to town after talking to you. Once you made the comment we all said to each other "lol, oh cool tissue guy has spunk". We assumed you said that knowing what would happen, and was having so easy fun, so we attacked. I also offered to replace all your gear, even thought you only lost 1 durability. AND once we found out that you weren't some spunky guy looking for defiant fun, and that you took offense to the attack,and started calling us Dicks in chat, we apologized.

Also, Decius, go pass your kool-aid out some were else. Everyone here already knows you hate us, and from the sounds of it already started telling your stories to the new people.
Quijenoth Starkiller
and more proof PFO is far more exciting with EoX smile
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Hobson Fiffledown
Sounds like a rough but fun intro to the game. Open World PvP is still second on the game's description list, right after Fantasy Sandbox. I would expect to see some PvP if I were a new player wandering off into the wilderness. However, GW needs to do a better job of making sure new players know what they are getting into.

If anything though, I thought kudos to you for the whole not bending a knee line. I mean, that'll get you cut down, but still…kudos. That all has a nice little bit of RP flavor too. You could go on to be rivals to this group, or join up having proven your chops. Start your own company and settlement where you don't have to put up with that sort of tomfoolery? Who knows?

GW should be much more upfront about the unofficial 'no killing in the Thornkeep star hexes' rule. Them pointing out that those three hexes are the only safe place on the map would help out a lot. Not that you can't get attacked there, there aren't any mechanical stops, it's just a big no-no and will probably get you in trouble and/or hunted down by the server.
This space for rent.
Palmer
Tigari
Missing some details, since I was one of the people. The part you left out was that before you said the thing about not bending a knee, was we were all running back to town after talking to you. Once you made the comment we all said to each other "lol, oh cool tissue guy has spunk". We assumed you said that knowing what would happen, and was having so easy fun, so we attacked. I also offered to replace all your gear, even thought you only lost 1 durability. AND once we found out that you weren't some spunky guy looking for defiant fun, and that you took offense to the attack,and started calling us Dicks in chat, we apologized.

Also, Decius, go pass your kool-aid out some were else. Everyone here already knows you hate us, and from the sounds of it already started telling your stories to the new people.

The typing of my response was ongoing right after I had seen that I was told to join or die. It wasn't delayed on purpose.

Please don't sugar coat why I was zapped, with a story. You don't need it. You offered to replace my stuff or pay double for damages. I remember that. My thought was why should I care about the gear damages? The damage was the zapping. There wasn't time to talk just ZAP! I was wondering why I was done for so mean. That's it. I did call you dicks. You deserved it. You did me in for no real reason. There is room for personal opinion formed through seen actions?

Other guys. I didn't mean to distract this thread so much. I didn't name names for a reason or post the experience looking for drama. Just pointing out that the PVP here seemed pretty much what it is in other open PVP games. Not different or better than anything out there. Just the same old crap despite some pretty write ups and early blogs.
Bringslite
@ Palmer

Your experience was unfortunate, but not really far out on the end of bad PVP. You don't mention anything about being killed by these guys repeatedly, or harassed in chat, or whispers, or even a bad response from other players in gen chat. I gather that you didn't have fun and that you were hoping for PVP to be different here because of some things that you read?

The PVP is almost never like that here. I believe that you were just at the wrong place at the wrong time and I hope that doesn't sour the whole game for you. Please look up myself "Bringslite", any member of Ozem's Vigil, Alderwag, Forgeholm, Staalgard, or the VAST majority of anyone else playing, including the EoX guys from a different angle/circumstance. I have run with them to hunt and kill real loosey goosey RPK players a few times. THey aren't bad guys. We'll show you around and give you some advice and stuff.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Alrighty partially cause I am the leader of the aggressors in said conflict where this happened and partially cause I am an idiot who don't keep his big mouth shut i wanna chime in here.

OK so yeah I am sorry ya got caught up in all that. See, Fianna and EoX were having a disagreement. I said we were gonna steal Dun Baile (then Iron Gauntlet) and EoX disagreed. Fianna eventually won the initial argument (best heist ever) but wound up losing several of the follow up ones that ensued (second biggest ass whooping ever).

Now while there's the quote of the pen is mightier than the sword we in Fianna decided to merge the two. The end result is here.

As for like minding manners and stuff, Id say in the future at least tell the guys they are in a warzone and give em a few second to run away of they are new guys. Just give the benefit of the doubt, THEN make a threat if they don't budge. The whole is a new guy in this game prolly ain't gonna know shit as is, and at least give the courtesy of informing the guy that he is in a warzone and everyone is a target first before ya gank em.
Now if it's someone like one of us who is already in a settlement then yeah I can get that
I had warned Malerist about that when he wanted to check out that New Rathglen battle but we have all fought and died together under much worse so he was perfectly fine. To live a little in this game ya gotta die a little (or if you are me a lot).

If it ain't well come on guys, I'm sure we can figure something out. Just so the new guy knows where he stands. It ain't like the game tells ya a damn thing about how rough the place can be.

I will say that is what I liked about PvP in Linkrealms. Ya know it's got the hardcore ruleset, ya know any one dies any where at Amy time for any reason, and ya know it's full gear drop and full player looting right off the bat. Ya know right away you are in a dog eat dog world and you're in for a wild ride.

This game, ya don't get how the PvP aspect is supposed to work at all and until that gets fixed we vets gotta pick up the slack. It's dumb, it's stupid but that's the hand we've been dealt. So since we gotta do the job the game ain't doing, we basically gotta fill in the blanks ourselves and there's a right way and wrong way to do it.

We ain't a bunch of zycors here I'm sure (truth be told I could deal with him too even), so let's not give people a reason to believe that we all are.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Tigari
I'd say it's much different. Considering we're the boogiemen, and when we killed you it was assuming you were the spunky guy and would have fun with it too. Once we realized otherwise, we apologized. Other games you would of been told to "suck it up" or instantly been called a care Bears pansy. So tea, I'd say this crowd is much nicer.

And I didn't sugar coat anything,I just told the rest of the story

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post