Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Call me intrigued

Benovation
This game seems like it's kindve going old school MMORPG. I like that. I had been following Pathfinder Online, but last time I checked, it wasn't even out. I just found it today. So… Somebody give me a rundown! I've heard the game is dead, the Reddit sure is. But, the forums seem to be sparking up and the post to view ratio is pretty good. I also heard that the company is switching it over to another, and all of this. So, what's all happening? Is the game actually dead? I hope not. As it seems really kinda 2007-2010 mechanics which honestly, contains some of my favorite memories for gaming. Is it worth joining the player base? Please, tell me. I'm intrigued smile
Bringslite
Hi Intrigued,
If you read the first paragraph below, plz read the second!

Straight up, this game is a work in progress. There are some things that are frustrating. There are some things that will take some time to get improved and/or balanced. The population is not very big ATM and it is pretty stratified. By that I mean that it is divided into power blocs by political and philosophical differences. Despite our best efforts(community wide) many new trial players do not find themselves groups to join soon enough, they grow bored or frustrated and do not continue trying. PVP is open world but super "uncommon". Wars/conflicts are not common but also not rare. They are mostly over territorial, trespass or banditry issues.

Having said that above, I love this game. ALOT. It might be the most intriguing game I have ever played except possibly early Ultima Online. The political moves, the different crafting system, the POTENTIAL, the HUGE number of skills to train that allow you to make almost any kind of character you can imagine. Number one though is the genius behind the design of the "group effort". It builds great amounts of camaraderie and friendship and loyalty. It really "takes a village" of players to raise a character or a settlement here. Those of us here are still here because the potential is magnificent and there is nothing quite like it in development or finished out there right now. You just need to find a group of like minded players and then you will have a chance to "see" what IT is.

or drink this koolaide. Lol, no seriously, a very interesting and fun game! smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Benovation
Sounds pretty reasonable! Good joke on the "intrigued" half expecting the "I'm Dad" at the end
Thod-Theodum
The bit not answered by Bringslite:
There was a large layoff last year (September) and the game went for some into hibernation. Right now there is only a core crew of three who keeps the lights on - and with that small number still impresses in what they add to the game in updates - but of course it is slow.
The current number of subscribers pays for electricity and the core crew - but of course that won't be enough to really spark this game up again.
In comes NewCorp - a mystery white knight. All we know is that talks are going well and that they even have been at least once (several times?) at Goblinworks for in depths discussion. Originally hope was a deal would be done in March - well - as such things go - they are delayed. All info we hear is - it is going very well - but slower as expected/hoped.

What does this mean for a new player?

Three options - take a risk - join now - and if all info is right and a large announcement comes then you have a great head start from all new people only joining / coming back once an announcement is done. It might be the very best time to join if the deal eventually will go through - and all the info so far says it looks good. Off course - so guarantee here.

Wait (like a lot of others do) or believe in people only watching from the sidelines and assume the game is doomed.

Be cautious and only enter once Newscorp announces itself - in this case don't complain when you feel you should have joined now.

I hope that helps - and welcome - we can use everyone new.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Decius
The Reddit was dominated if not exclusively one group that has mostly been drawn to other games. The PFO community is mostly on this forum, and there are many groups that have their own spaces.
Bringslite
I don't think it would be bad to add this: From day 1 you can run with the older and more experienced players.

A mechanical reason why that works are that attacks place conditions on targets. These work whether your attack rank is 1 or 6(max) though a rank 1 may be shrugged off faster than a rank 6 effect. You are useful as soon as you log in and buy your first weapon attack. Another is that achievements needed(gates to train higher) are gained faster in groups. Each person gets a tic every time anyone in a party kills(gets a tic).

A more meta reason is that older players can give you the advice and tips to survive while they take on the toughest monsters. Being there does not really lessen their chances to "complete the raid or Boss" like it does in virtually every other game.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Decius
Excellent point: no matter how new, another character is not a tactical detriment.
Huran
Thod-Theodum
The bit not answered by Bringslite:
There was a large layoff last year (September) and the game went for some into hibernation. Right now there is only a core crew of three who keeps the lights on - and with that small number still impresses in what they add to the game in updates - but of course it is slow.
The current number of subscribers pays for electricity and the core crew - but of course that won't be enough to really spark this game up again.
In comes NewCorp - a mystery white knight. All we know is that talks are going well and that they even have been at least once (several times?) at Goblinworks for in depths discussion. Originally hope was a deal would be done in March - well - as such things go - they are delayed. All info we hear is - it is going very well - but slower as expected/hoped.

What does this mean for a new player?

Three options - take a risk - join now - and if all info is right and a large announcement comes then you have a great head start from all new people only joining / coming back once an announcement is done. It might be the very best time to join if the deal eventually will go through - and all the info so far says it looks good. Off course - so guarantee here.

Wait (like a lot of others do) or believe in people only watching from the sidelines and assume the game is doomed.

Be cautious and only enter once Newscorp announces itself - in this case don't complain when you feel you should have joined now.

I hope that helps - and welcome - we can use everyone new.

Lisa also mentioned NewCorp helped with some funding for the three remaining GW employees at least once during the negotiations. She mentioned it as a sign that things are going well.
"Circles of power, gathered by EARTH, welcomed by GOLD, in strife and in mirth. Focused by CRYSTAL, guided by LIGHT, showing the way, by day and by night. wrought in IRON, strengthened by STEEL, together we stand, in wrack and in weal. Hidden in SHADOW, explored by WOOD, we circle together, for the greater good." –Maxikyd– http://www.kotcguild.com/
Maxen
+1 to the above, plus my own $0.02. I have been playing the Pathfinder tabletop game for years. This game is different from traditional 'd20' type systems, but has some really neat mechanics and more to come. If I have one complaint with the game in its current form, it's not 'Pathfindery' enough yet, but I know that will come with future content releases.

This game also has a good community. If you ask question in General chat, you will usually get good advice. Yes, occasionally there is someone who just wants to watch the world burn, but they are few and far between. I'd say the majority of the players are on during the afternoon and evenings based on US time zones, but we also have some faithful players on in Europe and Australia. Finding a company and settlement to join is crucial.

Even with the uncertainty of Newcorp, I've been happy with the game and will continue to subscribe with the hope that we will hear good news about the future of the game in the coming months. Welcome to PfO and I hope to see you in game!
Lisa Stevens
Huran
Lisa also mentioned NewCorp helped with some funding for the three remaining GW employees at least once during the negotiations. She mentioned it as a sign that things are going well.

They are actually paying half of the operating costs each month. Just to be clear. smile

-Lisa

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post