Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE 11.2 Preliminary Release Notes

Duffy Swiftshadow
My quote is literally talking about an actual in-game example that as far as we can tell reflects the expectations of engaging high level escalations and the side effects of doing so. There is no one size fits all solution to balance, there has to be some target expectations and balancing will try to hit that.

Clearly you rather be mad and focus on trying to turn everything into personal attacks then actually try to discuss balancing decisions or trace a line of logic through the changes and expectations. I tried, I give up.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Holy Hell…

Yeah, too bad ya can't embed images in this, cause this one would describe this thread really well.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Duffy Swiftshadow
My quote is literally talking about an actual in-game example that as far as we can tell reflects the expectations of engaging high level escalations and the side effects of doing so. There is no one size fits all solution to balance, there has to be some target expectations and balancing will try to hit that.

Clearly you rather be mad and focus on trying to turn everything into personal attacks then actually try to discuss balancing decisions or trace a line of logic through the changes and expectations. I tried, I give up.
You want to have discussions about balance because you don't like the game as it is in combination with its intended state. There are people who actually like the game as it is, in conjunction with the intended future state, and who don't go out of our way to take on escalations that we can't manage using the mechanics as designed. If I am mad at all (and I don't think I'm mad at anything in the game, though I am frequently disappointed by developer decisions), it is at people who insist that if they can't do everything they want to right now, then the game must be broken and should be constantly reworked to accommodate them. Maybe, if the developers said people who can't take on high end escalations without recharging power every hour just shouldn't, we wouldn't have to have this conversation.

I don't think any of this is a personal attack. I think some people, including yourself, have a strong idea of what they want the game to be, and don't particularly care if that is at odds with the the game's stated goal of being friendly and inclusive for casual players.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Bringslite
Read all of this. Don't have a pony in this race. Don't own a small holding and already felt that it was not worth(to myself) 13 1/3 months of subscription. That is just me, however.

You tread into dangerous zones whenever you sell something with certain functions and then you change those functions in ways that are debatable in value. You tread into dangerous zones when you make judgment calls about individual player habits and relate them to play session lengths based on zero research.

No matter how long my play session is, when grouped or alone doing an escalation, I am either using my expendable's power far faster than 1/3 per hour or I am probably not using it at all. I also have to point out that I do not recharge it until it is LOW rather than when I have only used about 1/3. Not saying that those tactical choices can not be changed, but I am not everyone.

Be thou careful selling items to loyal players and then changing their values in ways obviously ok with some but not with all. At the same time, a very few number of voices is neither a good measure that something needs changed or that it needs to be unchanged. It isn't worth the possible blowback without better research.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Tyncale
I would like to see:

• Owner being able to set access for the Smallholding for persons other then in their group;
  • Bind point, even though it is unclear how bindpoints will work (This one is promised in the Store)
  • Personal Chatchannel though I do not see the use of this (Promised in Store)
  • Mule Access;

That would make Smallholdings worth it for me.

I think it is also very important to beef up the amount of powerboost of crafted Camps: I think especially the lower level camps are currently useless because the Powerboost is so small that even a player in his first couple of weeks of being T1 has no use for it. His power-pool is already in the hundreds after a month. T1 Camps that boost like 12 Power are a joke, so the curve needs to start a lot higher. The T2+ higher end camps have ok boosts.

They could also look into power-regeneration instead of a single boost. Very slow regen for T1 camps could actually be useful (people afk a lot) and this could be better balanced against the higher level camps. Especially now that the camps stay up for 4 hours, this could be an option.

This leaves Inns. As for Powerregen, they are already having huge competition from Settlements (that all have an Inn)and smallholdings (why are these usable by everyone?) With the crafted camps now being up for 4 hours instead of 10 minutes, and usable every hour, I think this pretty much kills any incentive to ever go to an Inn for regen.

Off course Inns should do a lot more then just regen but right now this is their only perk. And some guards, forgot about those.

Inns (and Innkeepers!) need love.

Things that could help Inns:
Settlement-Inns regeneration only works for playyers that are allied to the settlement;
Smallholdings regen only works for the Owners group and those that are on his Access list;
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Caldeathe Baequiannia
While on the subject, has anyone investigated the state of the "party" vault if two smallholdings are in the same hex with both owners in a party?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Stilachio Thrax
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised the smallholding power change is sucking up all the air. My money would have been on people who have been (ab)using Auspicious Critical.

The real problem is the overall power consumption by expendables vs the benefit they provide when used. From a fighter and cleric perspective, very few of the expendables outside of the heals are worth the power they cost, and the heal to power ratio isn't that great either, but those are a necessary expenditure in tougher content. As a result, I rarely use anything but the heals in order to conserve power. I'm fairly certain that "not using expendables" wasn't part of the design strategy- I think "intelligent use" would be a reasonable goal- but the way power works it forces people to either not use them, or go whole hog and then try to game the power regen system.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Tyncale
Stilachio Thrax
The real problem is the overall power consumption by expendables vs the benefit they provide when used. From a fighter and cleric perspective, very few of the expendables outside of the heals are worth the power they cost, and the heal to power ratio isn't that great either, but those are a necessary expenditure in tougher content.

Stilachio, that's a whole other can o' wurms. smile We might as well talk about Utilities and Wearables too. smile Oh, and the use of Consumables other then Heals and Speed.

Personally I think the ultra short durations of Buffs and Debuffs is a huge problem in PFO overall. I mean, I *want* to use my expendable that buffs my Fire Resist, but after a few times of seeing it wear of after 17 seconds I just lose the gumption to do it. I *want* to use my Utility that gives me +4 to Physical Resistance but you know, 7 seconds of it….which will increase to like 24 seconds if I put 50 dollars worth of XP into it.

TBH, this is one of those things where I hope that Newcorp wil go like "WTF, I don't even…..let's overhaul that entire system!".
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Duffy Swiftshadow
If we're doing things we're not intended to be doing content wise, then all the Devs need to do is stop making that level of content and tell us 'hey we expected that to be like 12 man content' or something. Since they haven't done that and have continually created content and balanced mechanics to indicate we're roughly on the same page then I'm gonna go on a limb and say we've got the generally right idea and continue giving them feedback and examples.

Regardless of the financial issues this was always going to be a work in progress game, EE was literally pitched with the warning of avoiding it if you didn't like lots of changes. MMOs in general change a lot overtime, very few resemble their original selves, often in drastic and contradictory ways.

When most of us are nodding our heads along to changes or debating the finer points of changes in a set of forums literally designed for these conversations versus a group that is saying everything is fine stop changing it, one of us is probably not on the same page. Maybe you gotta step back and rethink your position, or reevaluate if this sort of game is really for you. The same as I would be doing (and have done once or twice so far) if they changed nothing over time.

Caldeathe Baequiannia
While on the subject, has anyone investigated the state of the "party" vault if two smallholdings are in the same hex with both owners in a party?

They're separate, we've done it before. It looks like the smallholding vaults are tied to the owner of the smallholding, not the party itself.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Stilachio Thrax
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised the smallholding power change is sucking up all the air. My money would have been on people who have been (ab)using Auspicious Critical.

The real problem is the overall power consumption by expendables vs the benefit they provide when used. From a fighter and cleric perspective, very few of the expendables outside of the heals are worth the power they cost, and the heal to power ratio isn't that great either, but those are a necessary expenditure in tougher content. As a result, I rarely use anything but the heals in order to converse power. I'm fairly certain that "not using expendables" wasn't part of the design strategy- I think "intelligent use" would be a reasonable goal- but the way power works it forces people to either not use them, or go whole hog and then try to game the power regen system.

Which is really a side effect of the orison healing nerf for the most part. Bob did say there is definitely some work that needs to go into looking at healing balance, just not sure when it will happen and how it will go.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post