Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE 11.2 Preliminary Release Notes

Bob
Bringslite
If one of the factors(or intent) of choosing and using expendables is that they should be used sparingly as some feel, then of course GW(or NewCorp) should code in some unalterable cooldowns that force what the intention is. As players, we will work around anything less than impassable limits on power usage.

It is human nature.

Here's a rough statement of where I'd like expendable use to wind up for a typical player on a typical day:

You put together a small party and head out to tackle an escalation, one reasonably appropriate for your level. Everyone is fully powered up, but you've brought along an appropriate camp for power regeneration. You reach the escalation hex and place the camp for later use. When tackling the tougher encounters, your party runs through a fair number of expendables. When tackling more typical encounters, you may or may not use any expendables, depending on exactly what enemies you're facing. Part of the challenge is trying to get through those encounters with minimal expendable use. You should also be tackling a fair number of easier encounters where you use no expendables unless something goes terribly wrong. In general, I'm thinking every really tough encounter would be balanced by at least 2-3 typical ones and 4-6 easier ones. After 30-45 minutes, you run through enough power that everyone can regenerate at the camp without wasting any extra (maybe you're at half), so you top off your power. An hour later, you're at maybe 1/4 power, so you get some more at the camp, bringing you up to 3/4. An hour later, you're close to running out of power, but the boss is about ready to appear. You play a little conservatively with expendables until the boss appears, then quickly head to the camp so you'll have enough power to go all out with expendables taking the boss down. After that, you've got a bunch of loot to get safely back to town, where you can top back off on power again.

Right now, of course, a lot of folks are fighting above their weight in the Great Quest for T3 Recipes, and are even avoiding the easier encounters to focus entirely on Legends. Under those circumstances, I'd expect players to need to return to towns/inns more often, or to carry better camps. Those are the meaningful choices you make when deciding which escalations to tackle. Hopefully the change of moving the biggest loot to the Win Boss encounters will make it more worthwhile to tackle smaller encounters to bring the Boss out more quickly. Still, escalations like Gathering of Legends or Revenge of Nhur Athemon will probably fall in the category of pushing everyone to use a lot of power to clear them quickly. The improved camps should help with providing power for those battles, but aren't intended to provide enough to completely avoid regularly returning to inns/towns for all but the most powerful parties.
Bob
Edited Original Post:

Added ability to paste into all text input fields under UI. Turns out that fix wasn't just for the Log In screen, you can also paste into the chat window, the support ticket window, and others.
Decius
Bob
Edited Original Post:

Added ability to paste into all text input fields under UI. Turns out that fix wasn't just for the Log In screen, you can also paste into the chat window, the support ticket window, and others.
Yay for pasting into chat!
Bringslite
Bob
Edited Original Post:

Yay!
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Jazc
@Bob - Thanks for giving us the official vision for power usage. This will give us (the players) a clear expectation of how power should be managed versus how we are currently doing what we do in-game.

I think all the power changes will shape us towards something closer to what you have outlined, with some tweaking on our part to match our personal playstyle. I currently throw out power like a raging river, but can see that more conservative use is probably closer to what is sustainable with the proposed changes.

T3 power usage is high, but there are many places where the T2 equivalent or even orisons/cantrips can suffice without a trip to the shrine even though it will take an extra amount of time and some smarter positioning.

A small change (nudge/shift) in tactics and strategy will be required for the top-end fun stuff, but life should continue without much pain or frustration.

- Jasc
Edam
Generally speaking you can currently solo T1s like Bandit Raids or Goblins or the Ogg Ogres without using any power at all. As stated somewhere else burning down an Ogre Brute and a few friends solo without touching power is a cakewalk.

People do burn power in Usties on buffs and opening shots but mainly to blitz them and get through more Legends, power usage in Usties is purely optional.

On the other hand burning down 15 Dark Elf Assassin groups in one session (they reset every down time so you need to take down all 15 in a session) even with power buffs and power heals is hard to do without deaths even in T3 gear.

I do question Bobs statement about "I'm thinking every really tough encounter would be balanced by at least 2-3 typical ones and 4-6 easier ones" . Because quests reset daily you are more or less obliged to focus on quests till you complete them or ignore them completely.
Thod-Theodum
Just wanted to thank the GW team for some changes I really like.

Especially the trade history. It might be only a few people who really need that right now - but in my view this game will only thrive with a good economy and this will be one step further to enable that. It provides sellers with more information , makes it easier for them to restock what sells well, makes it better for buyers to buy what they want - removes barriers on 'knowing someone'.

And long term it will lead to conflict as money and power always will.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Duffy Swiftshadow
The mechanics will strongly encourage you to target the quests if you want to kill off an escalation, some escalations are only reasonably doable if you do the quests. With the shift of great rewards to the boss this is only going to encourage finishing off escalations as fast as possible even more. The more difficult escalations that often requires power use (or cheese tactics) on difficult pulls (often but not always the quest groups) will be targeted far more frequently with minimal 'easy encounters' in between.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
From what im hearin, seems like we just need to git gud now with things getting tougher. smile

We ain't gonna be farming on easy (and insanely boring) mode no more.

I for one am looking forward to it.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Jokken
Paddy Fitzpatrick
From what im hearin, seems like we just need to git gud now with things getting tougher. smile

We ain't gonna be farming on easy (and insanely boring) mode no more.

I for one am looking forward to it.

I've been saying a version of this all year. Everyone currently feels entitled to the power they currently wield, when in actuality the game design intends you to be less capable than you are now given the investment in xp and gear. In spite of this, power blocs are pushing for a greater level of individual power. They push for a game where a group of 3 or 4 friends in high end T2 gear can farm anything a settlement may need with 4 hours of daily play. There is very little evidence this game was ever intended to be this way.

I signed on to a game concept where it takes a village to run a village and farming T3 recipes should be punishingly difficult requiring the support of a dozen company members facilitating the opportunity of one of them to receive a T3 recipe in an evening of play. Please, don't throw that game in the trash because of loud voices with personal agendas.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post